over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Calories during a cut cycle?

fitnessmuscle

Registered
I'm figuring you drop calories below your maintenance calories during a cut or else you will maintain your weight , that's why alot of guys run more exotic gear during a cut to maintain muscle while in calorie decrease if I'm not mistaken, the question is how many calories below maintenance do you guys drop calories , for example, a bodybuilder getting ready for a show just coming off a bulk let's say he's 17% bodyfat, how many calories does he drop to get into contest shape, single digit bodyfat levels , bulking seems pretty simple, stay in calorie surplus and you don't need nothing fancy as far as gear is concerned, hell test only would probably work just fine ,however when cutting that's when guys break out the more exotic gear to try to hold on to that muscle while in a decrease, I'm I correct on that theory, how do you competitors do it

It's going to vary for all of us, nobody can give you a one size fits all absolute answer to this question.

What I can tell you and what I personally do is to start of with a small deficit and minimal fat burners and cardio. You can always ramp up one of those three (and you'll have to to continue losing fat/weight eventually) but if you start out too aggressive, you've basically played your cards already.

Also, unless absolutely needed, I'm not a fan of big calorie deficits. The studies prove that people dieting for longer periods of time in a less aggressive manner lose less muscle mass than those who do the opposite.

Just my two cents.

There's a good article by BigA in the beginners forum on how to diet for a competition. It basically follows the same principles I just mentioned.

I feel like maintenance is a ‘moving target’. Let’s say your maintenance is 3500 and you drop to 3000, eventually weightloss will stall and theoretically 3000 is your new maintenance.

In the beginning I like to drop 3-500 calories, eventually you will lower it in smaller drops.

Last cut I started at 4K calories and ended up at 1.7k calories.

For what it's worth exotic compounds are more about aethetics than maintaining muscle mass. A classic bulk stack will maintain just fine, you will just hold water and not look as lean. Tren and primo are exceptions and work particularly well in caloric deficits, also nice aethetics.

Maintenance being a moving target is critical to understand. As you lose weight that 500 deficit move to 300 then 250 and eventually zero. You need to drop calls for your "new maintenance" level. Same with bulking but in opposite direction. A 180lbs guy at 200lbs has a totally different maintenance and to keep gaining he will need to eat more than his new maintenance.

Sounds simple, it is simple. However this is the classic mistake people botch. #1 reason they fail.

I drop 10% or add 5 min cardio every week my weekly weight loss gets lower than 0.7-0.8 kg. I aim for 1 kg / 2 lbs of weight loss per week.

I drop 10% or add 5 min cardio every week my weekly weight loss gets lower than 0.7-0.8 kg. I aim for 1 kg / 2 lbs of weight loss per week.
This is usually what I aim for 2lbs a week I do a 1000 defect psmf get it over with. If someone is starting at 17% it's going to be a long cut either way, I think the key is not getting that high.

Much like you I lose about 2lbs per week and that is without even trying, usually on vacation. (The opposite for most people.) That seems to be a rate that is not even noticeable or uncomfortable for me. Then again my vacations are typically more active than most and I assume a vegan diet (my wife) when we are traveling in our Sportsmobile which is fine by me.

Been at it so long that I do not lose much if any muscle and very little strength, I just get leaner all over; don’t try to or even notice it (the absence of my reflection).

This last time I was away from the gym it was for 6 weeks and I lost 15lbs. People commented that I had lost weight but it was news to me until I was weighed in at the doctors office. My abs were far more pronounced, visible. That was all I noticed when I finally looked carefully in the mirror. Back home it was back to my old familiar ways and my weight finally got back up to where it usually is, my so called ‘set point’. Budging the needle down at home requires substantial effort on my part, the will power or the motivation I seem to be lacking at the moment.

But really in retrospect it was just being more active, eating 3 small meals a day (never in my life counted macros), no snacking and nothing to eat after ~6pm.

Just prior to that we were away in Tanzania for a month and 2 weeks in Seychelles. When in Tanzania, sitting in a safari vehicle all day and doing very little ‘exercise’ I gained I don’t know how much weight; fat, mostly because the food was very high in carbs, like heaps of rice and I love rice, I was in hog heaven. But protein being expensive and sparse there was not much of it. And fats, like fatty soups and avacados as big as softballs 😲 My stomach seemed to grow by the day until my wife said back off on the food dude.

Seychelles was lots of fish and less food so that helped get me get back down to my fighting weight. Even in a tropical paradise I never ran around without a shirt or wore a tank top which might have gone a long way in keeping my body fat in check, vanity being vanity.

Never really paid attention to my diet as of late but being 67 now, those last two trips really drove the point home, what to eat and the effects therof. Pretty interesting.

Next 2 trips will be 6 weeks then 2- 3 months in our Sportsmobile. Will adopt my wife’s food plan again and will see what happens.

Long story short or short story long, 2lbs per week (I am calling this fat loss) comes with little or no effort, don’t even notice it.
Of course I am not prepping for a contest or really trying to lose body fat in which case I would probably be freaking out over every little thing in my food plan. Mucho respect here for the people who can pull this off.

In theory can one lose more then 2 lbs a week if one increased there daily steps too 20-30,000 steps a day . This a higher output

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws