over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

CALV TRAINING TIPS

I tried this. I found that I could do far less weight without the stretch.
The burn occurred to the far-upper gastrocnemius, below the knee. I normally feel fatiguing far lower, just above the achilles tendon.
By using the smaller range of motion, I could not use any momentum to raise the bar to a higher peak. I did the high weight, limited ROM, then finished with a failure low weight set in the same ROM and it was a teeth grinder.

I'll try it for a while with some variations. Not like I anything to lose with these chicken legs :p

the notion of stretch and over-stretch can also be very individual. what is a natural movement for some is a complete over-stretch for others.

i like to do mobility training, but generally tell my clients (especially muscular ones) not to do yoga classes. the whole idea that the human body should have certain extreme ROMs (and that this is healthy and spiritual thing) can be sorta dangerous.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones and have great calves without having to do much, I did DC for a long time doin it his way and I'll tell you it hurts! Never tried the way Phil does it but I will try that and it sounds like it won't be as painful so I should like it more LOL :D

phil i have just one question. what about stretching after lifting. ive noticed that when i do dc stretches i recover better. are you saying the stretch is only bad when the muscle is overloaded with weight?

haha

I found the best thing for calves... is not to ever train them :p

Thanks for the tips Phil! I always give your training tips a shot. I started doing the tricep movement you recommended last week. I had never done them before (dumbells with palms facing) until this past week.

Calves were seriously sore right were Phil posted for 3 days after.. Powww... Dang I should learn to ease into new things.. lol

I like it...

I WILL PREFACE THIS BY TELLING YOU THAT IF YOU SQUAT HEAVY THEN ALL YOU REALLY NEED TO DO IS SEATED HEEL RAISE EACH WORKOUT.....OR HOWEVER YOU STRUCTURE YOUR TRAINING.

1. STANDING HEEL RAISE.....GREAT GASTROC MASS BUILDER. SMITH MACHINE, LOAD IT UP, BACK TIGHT,KNEES LOCKED TIGHT........ STAND DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH, GO UP ON YOUR TOES AND BACK DOWN.......DO NOT CONCERN YOURSELF WITH THE STRETCH AT THE BOTTOM........IF YOU ARE TOO CO0NCERNED ABOUT NOT GETTING THE "STRETCH", THEN CONTINUE YOUR OWN ROUTINE IF IT IS WORKING SO WELL.

2. SEATED HEEL RAISE.............KNEES BENT AT 90 DEGREE ANGLE, GREAT SOLEUS BUILDER......DO NOT STRETCH PAST AN IMAGINARY FLOOR.

I started doing #1 recently... I like it! I'm sure some people in the gym think I'm cheating but so what... as long as it works. I do them barefoot.

I love doing calves on the smith machine.......you said knees locked? I know when doing calves i normally load that sucker up alot but keep a very slight bend in my knees.

I was just always told dont lock knees for anything. :)

Chronic foot pain doesn't allow me to do full ROM under heavy weights any longer for calves... I used the smith for calves today and was able to train them pain free from the floor up, that gives me at least one option.

Coincidental timing on the bump :)

Phil...I've seen in your vids that you squat old school....Bare Feet.

Do you still recommend it?

Also How about doing the standing and Seated Calves bare footed?

95 USA

O/T, but phil looks ridiculous at the 95 USA. First vid i've seen. Impressive to say the least. Lends more credence to his Calv training method.

I started doing #1 recently... I like it! I'm sure some people in the gym think I'm cheating but so what... as long as it works. I do them barefoot.

Thanks for the info. We that are genetically challenged with calves shall give it a try.

Calf Raises on the Smith Machine...

Knees bent (or slightly bent): Targets the Soleus more than Gastrocnemius

Knees locked: Targets the Gastrocnemius more than the Soleus

At least this is what I learned in PT school; however, I wouldn't be surprised if Phil knew 1000 X's more than the professor that taught me this...

Phil...I've seen in your vids that you squat old school....Bare Feet.

Do you still recommend it?

Also How about doing the standing and Seated Calves bare footed?

I squat with my shoes off, once you do it, you'll never go back to squatting in shoes.

EVER SEE HOW MUSCULAR A WOMANS CALV CAN GET FROM WEARING HIGH HEELS?
Oh man..now there will be that ONE GUY that shows up at the gym in heels just to see! lol

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear