over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

CALV TRAINING TIPS

I WILL PREFACE THIS BY TELLING YOU THAT IF YOU SQUAT HEAVY THEN ALL YOU REALLY NEED TO DO IS SEATED HEEL RAISE EACH WORKOUT.....OR HOWEVER YOU STRUCTURE YOUR TRAINING.

1. STANDING HEEL RAISE.....GREAT GASTROC MASS BUILDER. SMITH MACHINE, LOAD IT UP, BACK TIGHT,KNEES LOCKED TIGHT........ STAND DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH, GO UP ON YOUR TOES AND BACK DOWN.......DO NOT CONCERN YOURSELF WITH THE STRETCH AT THE BOTTOM........IF YOU ARE TOO CO0NCERNED ABOUT NOT GETTING THE "STRETCH", THEN CONTINUE YOUR OWN ROUTINE IF IT IS WORKING SO WELL.

2. SEATED HEEL RAISE.............KNEES BENT AT 90 DEGREE ANGLE, GREAT SOLEUS BUILDER......DO NOT STRETCH PAST AN IMAGINARY FLOOR.

Good advice about not stretching. My calves havn't been this sore in years.

I did the Calve W/o above mentioned yesterday..... Im a tad bit sore today...But I did stretch when I was done training them. Habit......

d) Shoulder presses; all the way down to the delts, and all the way up to lockout? NEVER DO SHOULDER PRESS

Just yesterday, DB press.... threw up some 95's (which I have done in the past), my left shoulder made three very loud popping noises. Dropped the weight and now my shoulder is freaking jacked.

Not sure how jacked at this point, hoping its just sore for a few days...

However, the shoulder press is now off of my list of potential movements.

Sometimes, it pays to not only read the advice on PM...but to actually follow it also. :confused:

Individuality

There are so many ways to accomplish the same thing. Ultimately not injuring ourselves shall first be considered. I've found that the body adapts so incredibly fast to new movement patterns, so switching things around frequently works very well. How about Phil's way on monday then DC's way on thursday, etc? Thank you all for your contributions. Now off to just get some calf implants :D

Appreciated

I'm new here but something I read a lot here is to use a logical approach to lifting and growing. The advice you gave about how there is no need in nature to press from a stretched position, sounds spot on with that. Today I do legs and I'm going to give calf raises from a flat position a shot. Thanks, man. Keep the wisdom coming. I'm soaking it all up.

GOOEY brought up something that i have always said in regards to my own training.. i have always had big calves.. my sister does also.. ect ect.. when i tried training them in the past they actually shrunk.. as odd as it sounds it is true.. my job keeps me walking alot and standing.. so the added calf work backfired.. never train them..;)

GOOEY brought up something that i have always said in regards to my own training.. i have always had big calves.. my sister does also.. ect ect.. when i tried training them in the past they actually shrunk.. as odd as it sounds it is true.. my job keeps me walking alot and standing.. so the added calf work backfired.. never train them..;)

Makes sense for myself as well...I've always had bigger calves and explosive movements from certain sports while growing up only made them bigger...I am on my feet all day at work as well...Maybe I should start training them again, because I haven't been...Just to shrink em a tad and define em some more:eek:

And i am on the other end. I have to work my calves two different ways twice a week. I need one day of just brutal heavy pounding and i need one day of light very high reps. Thats what makes my calves grow the best.

I did these calf raises that phil is taling about here and at the end they were screaming!!!!!

has anyone on here followed the DC calve trainning style without alternating styles and had good results?

I have done the DC style calves with the 15 sec stretch on every set. It worked well. This got my puny calves to 16.25. I got them to 18 in about 6 months doing the opposite. I do one set of 4-6 reps on the leg press holding every rep in the fully contracted position for a full 10 seconds. I did this once every 2 weeks with no other calf training. They are still 17 after not training them for 6 months.
My coach Bill Sahli shared this method with me.

And i am on the other end. I have to work my calves two different ways twice a week. I need one day of just brutal heavy pounding and i need one day of light very high reps. Thats what makes my calves grow the best.

I did these calf raises that phil is taling about here and at the end they were screaming!!!!!

The whole "phil style" is something I like from my very limited experience (not a client just reading on here) but IMO it hurts less than really full ROM motions but has its own quality where the muscles feel very tight. I am going to try to find enough on here to bastardize his training methods until I can afford to get the program for real. I do like that it seems like it might help me avoid injuries and I an VERY injury prone

BRUTAL!!!! Thanks Phil. Trained earlier today, calves already sore tonight. I'll be gimping around nice and good tomorrow.

I have found that doing a dc style stretch helps me but the actual dc calf protocol didnt help my stubborn calves as much. Now i have my calf routine and then stretch the crap out of them with heavy weight after each completed exercise. If i do 3 sets of a certain exercise i do them like any other body part and then after my 3rd set i stretch the crap out of them with heavy weight for 60 seconds or better. Then i go to the next calf exercise, complete all my sets and stretch them after that set as well. Has worked great over the past 2 months.

I recently also found out that unless I do a hip thrust and keep it throughout the exercises I don't get much stimulation in the standing calve press...

I do this to straighten out the slight back curve (lordosis) i have from my desk job ....

.... It's a very small trick but it works wonders... thought I 'd share it with you...

Phil, none of the gyms I'm training at has a seated calf machine... :eek:

What would you advise in place of that exercise to work soleus directly? If any? Mine suck and I hate it when I look my calves from front... :(

Good Q

What would you advise in place of that exercise to work soleus directly? If any? Mine suck and I hate it when I look my calves from front... :(

I would do standing but keep knees bent as much as possible with keeping back arched ( straight) still.

Maybe my post #14 is also an option or look here: **broken link removed**

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner