over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Calves, my thoughts...

doug1

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Ok, my calves are probably my weakest bodypart, I know I'm not alone. Anyway, I have taken Lee Priest's advice lately, I've been training them everyday, 5 sets of 20 reps. I've used just my bodyweight on a block I made, with flip flops, lol, they actually have a better grip than shoes. Anyway, full range of motion, slow tempo. Very little rest between sets. I'm not juiced to the gills and my cals are maintenance, or slighlty below. I realized today, that my calves have never looked better, for me. Just wanted to share this, my calves in this pic are not right after training, so there is no pump. I know my left calf is bigger than the right, even though I'm right handed, that's life.

calves.JPG

I have tried a ton of stuff for calves, but they are the weakest point. From the knowledge I've gathered, genetics plays a big role in calves in terms of where the gastrocnemius ties into the soleus. People who have a high tie-in point tend to have smaller looking calves, as opposed to those who have a low tie-in point. In terms of growth, its really what works for the individual, but high volume, full range of motion, and 3x concentration on the stretch on the negative as there is on the peak of the motion has generated the best results for me. Because I have a high tie-in point, doing seated calf raises to really grow my soleus has helped create more of a 3D look in my calves.

Just my 2 cents.

As to what you posted, good tip. I want to give it a shot.

They look great bro! I'm jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I have to share that many years ago, I did SEO, that definitely helped stretch the fascia. There is some residual effect to a point. But they have certainly been much smaller since doing that. So, I just wanted to share with my bros here what I have discovered. I know my body and what I am eating, not that much, and what I am taking, not that much.

If you want them to really grow, add in reverse calf raises as well. Be prepared for pain and muscle cramps though

I've been training mine 4 days a week. I include banded tibia raises as well. They've come up quite a bit.

I've been training mine 4 days a week. I include banded tibia raises as well. They've come up quite a bit.

I watched a video a few days ago with James Grage and Jay Cutler. James asked him about training a weak body part more often. Jay, said, "no, I don't believe in higher frequency for weak body parts, my calves were weak, I just trained them before my chest." With all due respect to Jay and his work ethic and great genetics, it's not that simple for us mortals.

There's nothing you can do about where your muscle inserts, you can only make the most out of what youve got. high inserts will never have outstanding calve development, sadly

something i used to do before competing was donkey calve raises with my brother on my back, every hour a few sets, Arnold used to do this, as this is where I got it from his modern day encylopedia of bodybuilding, and it does temporarily inflamm them, theyll go back to normal though

ive tried your method as well

assuming you train intense enough, its like any other bodypart train them once a week, maybe two at most

Last edited:

This right here. I picked this up from JM and its made a big difference

I have tried a ton of stuff for calves, but they are the weakest point. From the knowledge I've gathered, genetics plays a big role in calves in terms of where the gastrocnemius ties into the soleus. People who have a high tie-in point tend to have smaller looking calves, as opposed to those who have a low tie-in point. In terms of growth, its really what works for the individual, but high volume, full range of motion, and 3x concentration on the stretch on the negative as there is on the peak of the motion has generated the best results for me. Because I have a high tie-in point, doing seated calf raises to really grow my soleus has helped create more of a 3D look in my calves.

Just my 2 cents.

As to what you posted, good tip. I want to give it a shot.

I have very weak calves genetically. I have tried everything and studied everything extensively. No shoe fits all but what you say about the negative is 100% spot on. Our calves do 1000's of mini raises everyday when we are walking. Do what they are not used to if you want them to grow. Still get as high as possible on the peak contraction. But for the peak contraxction literally 1 sec and the main focus should be the stetch on the bottom. Let it fall down naturally and hold it for at least 3 secs for every rep. This will hurt/burn so bad but enjoy the pain as you know you are doing the best you can to make them grow :)

I could write an essay but won't bore you guys. Just a mixture of weight but mainly as heavy as possible. When I say as heavy as possible I mean up to the point you can still perform full rom reps. Going silly heavy and doing 20 partials is not going to work if you have genetically weak calves. Although some partials at the end of a few sets is never a bad thing :D

Flat bench db tibialis raises will help build them from the front too.

95096cf98bb8f2624f7678e54fbe787e.jpg

I train mine twice per week. The thing that really helped me make them pop and separate is tempo. If I'm doing seated calf raises, I pause at the top, then go all the way down and let the weight stretch out my calve muscle as much as possible.
All exercises I will go to total failure on. I have always felt if my calves are not in horrible pain that keeps me from standing up after I compete my set, then it's pointless and I need to do more reps.

Try Dante's calf routine...HOLY CRAP!

Flat bench db tibialis raises will help build them from the front too.

I ve been doing these on a separate day getting in maybe three sets after warmups. On calve training day doing these as well before calves, really gets them burning and a great pre exhaust movement

Try Dante's calf routine...HOLY CRAP!

done these when I trained Dc

Dante has a cardio calve technique that mine measured biggest on

am I allowed to post calve videos I made, which describes the tribulus db , and dantes calve cardio technique ?

done these when I trained Dc

Dante has a cardio calve technique that mine measured biggest on

am I allowed to post calve videos I made, which describes the tribulus db , and dantes calve cardio technique ?

Sure!

Nice work, shows you can make progress with effort
I do a simalar routine twice a week, standing single leg calf raises body weight on a block -3 sets of 30 then single leg seated calf raises, time makes a difference things grow and adapt

skip to about 1:50 in me trying to describing db between feet tribulus work

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2mra7rrcsU"]Calves-all about calves - YouTube[/ame]

calve cardio technique I got from DC

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgXzm8fJuS8"]Calf cardio technique - YouTube[/ame]

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws