over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Calves, my thoughts...

My calves are 20.5". Don't have pics to post, but I get complimented in-person on them more on them than any other part.

I disagree about training them multiple times a week. Calves are slow twitch muscles, and get used daily. To me, the best approach is train them balls-heavy and to complete exhaustion about once a week.

My thoughts are... noone trains them heavy enough. Everyone bitching about having small calves doesn't use very much weight.

I just do 2 exercises, once a week:
1) Standing Calf Raises
2) Seated Calf Raises

Standing calf raise machine, I do the entire stack (400lbs), and add plates to it.

Seated calf raise machine, I do upto 8 plates on there.

Seated_Calf_Raise.png

Everyone who tries my approach gets very sore and starts getting some growth. Using 3-4 plates or some shit on the seated calf raise isn't going to get you there.

Last edited:
Granted... doing stuff like full ROM, "feeling the burn", and training them more often may help your calves look better.

I have done this with some success... but when I tried training them too often, my calves have actually gotten weaker and smaller. In this respect, they seem to respond like most other body parts. (i.e, maybe you can bench 400lbs once a week, but not every day)

However, if you are complaining that they are too small, you need to increase your raw calf strength.

Noone I've seen who can only do 4-5 plates on seated calf raise has impressive (sized) calves.

Again, nearly noone trains them heavy enough. And if your calves never get sore, you are not training them hard enough.

Last edited:
I have some pretty big calves, I'll try to post pics but I don't think this high rep stuff works, at least not for me. Going heavy just like any other bodypart works.

My gfs calves have blown up using this. Mine are getting better but nowhere near the progress of hers

Haha doesn't that suck? Ive been lifting my ass off...heavy, 41yrs. And my fiancees calves blow mine away. She isn't a bodybuilder/lifter per se.

Calves are so much about genetics. If you have shitty high calves they will never be full and huge...we all know that. Personally, I feel with them being composed of more slow twitch, I train them with higher reps (20) 3x wk, a drop set at the end. That doesn't mean a big set of 10reps if not included.
They have improved nicely...but will never be awesome. Ill take what I can get!

Last edited:
Haha doesn't that suck? Ive been lifting my ass off...heavy, 41yrs. And my fiancees calves blow mine away. She isn't a bodybuilder/lifter per se.

Calves are so much about genetics. If you have shitty high calves they will never be full and huge...we all know that. Personally, I feel with them being composed of more slow twitch, I train them with higher reps (20) 3x wk, a drop set at the end. That doesn't mean a big set of 10reps if not included.
They have improved nicely...but will never be awesome. Ill take what I can get!

:yeahthat:
The slow twitch fibers must be trained with higher reps and lots of blood. I've been at this too long to go back to heavy weight and low reps for calves.

I feel like a big forgotten thing about calf training is ankle mobility. If you have shitty mobility you're limiting your potential for growth. Imagine training upper body if you only had partial range of motion in your elbows. Ankles are no different.

I feel like a big forgotten thing about calf training is ankle mobility. If you have shitty mobility you're limiting your potential for growth. Imagine training upper body if you only had partial range of motion in your elbows. Ankles are no different.

Yes, that's what I am saying, trying flip flops on a block with a tape that is non skid. Go as deep and as high as possible(I know, that's what she said). If you are doing it right, those last 3-5 reps are brutal.

After 28 yrs of training , I learned that I just lack in the calf department. I thought it was hereditary , until I recently had to use my free weights in the basement , because I got 3 months house arrest for a DUI !( sucks) can't go out except to work and it's summer. I started doing more cardio and added boxing /rope work on my toes, before I would start my heavy workout. Calves grew dramatically , veins appeared and legs feel much more stronger. They also had to loosen the bracelets!! Lol

After 28 yrs of training , I learned that I just lack in the calf department. I thought it was hereditary , until I recently had to use my free weights in the basement , because I got 3 months house arrest for a DUI !( sucks) can't go out except to work and it's summer. I started doing more cardio and added boxing /rope work on my toes, before I would start my heavy workout. Calves grew dramatically , veins appeared and legs feel much more stronger. They also had to loosen the bracelets!! Lol

Haha, I love it, break those chains brother! Thanks for the post.

Yes, that's what I am saying, trying flip flops on a block with a tape that is non skid. Go as deep and as high as possible(I know, that's what she said). If you are doing it right, those last 3-5 reps are brutal.

ive done mine barefooted for ten years. now not as much, but still do certain exercises barefooted

esp seated calves and donkey calves

if your gym doesnt have a donkey calve , try this, it works, on the downside, cant go more than four plates

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMn_E7Q_dLQ"]Donkey Calf Raise on a Smith Machine - YouTube[/ame]

image been posted before . . .

Not the latest greatest image but still accurate.

In case anybody wonders . . . this what works for me . . .

High reps. 20 minimum. Sometimes 50. maybe even 100.
Important to get the reps even if not full reps.

Do not get off the block / machine until you get
the reps. Rest in the contracted or stretched but
do not quit the exercise no matter how hard or
how long it takes you. That is my unsolicited advice
and what has worked for me. Not fun I know
and if you don’t mind not walking for a few days
and you stick with it, you will get results. My opinion.

The pain will be unbearable, you will want to step
off and shake off but you don’t . . . it’s most helpful
to hang in there, become accustomed to the reps and
burn and pain.

I do donkey calve raises when I can find a partner.
Mostly I do Smith machine calf raises off a block
or on the round side half a foam roller (the best!)
on the floor, super-setted with toe presses on a leg
press machine located next to the Smith. Alternate
back and forth for 2 cycles minimum, perhaps up
to 4 if you are truly a madman.

Think out of the box with calves. I place my focus on
the ball of my foot, with my heals out and my knees
touching, legs slightly best on the toe press. Standing
calves knees locked or close to it

The stretch is important but I think highly over rated.

Zero rest between them. And not stretch on the toe press.
Flat heel to toe press. Never stop on any calk exercise
until I get the reps. It redefines the meaning of the word
brutal.

Rarely do I do seated calf raises. I think they are over
rated but valuable if that makes any sense. . Donkeys
knees locked works best for me. Seated calves it is mostly
a stretch exercise . . . again, not stopping, no bouncing until
you finish.

I got the best results for the above after having tried
literally everything, very rep range and frequency.

High reps work best for me . . . 2 – 3 days a week, with
always rest between training sessions.

Attachments

• dv_F0H9122.jpg
    dv_F0H9122.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 124
Day 1- 3 sets 10 Donkey calf raise, standing calf raise feet a little close, seated calf raise. Keep track of all weight used and try to beat next time around.

Day 2- 3sets 20 all same exercises except I will do 10full reps then 10 reps out of the stretch (mountaindog style). Keep track of all weight used and try to beat next time around

Day 3 - 3sets 30 reps all same exercises. Keep track of all the weight.

Day 4 - repeat day 1 and try to beat those numbers
Day 5-repeat day 2 and try to beat those numbers
Day 6 and 7 which is the weekend do not do calf work

On Monday start where you left off which would be Day 3. Repeat sequence.

If you do not have a donkey raise, I set one up in the smith machine and use an incline bench out front to lean forward on. I use a band to keep the hooks back and not closing and locking.

My calves have responded tremendously to this. I throw I tibia work here and there with banded tibia raises or on a lying leg curl sit the other way on it and put top of your feet under the pad and curl up.

My calves are 20.5". Don't have pics to post, but I get complimented in-person on them more on them than any other part.

I disagree about training them multiple times a week. Calves are slow twitch muscles, and get used daily. To me, the best approach is train them balls-heavy and to complete exhaustion about once a week.

My thoughts are... noone trains them heavy enough. Everyone bitching about having small calves doesn't use very much weight.

I just do 2 exercises, once a week:
1) Standing Calf Raises
2) Seated Calf Raises

Standing calf raise machine, I do the entire stack (400lbs), and add plates to it.

Seated calf raise machine, I do upto 8 plates on there.

Seated_Calf_Raise.png

Everyone who tries my approach gets very sore and starts getting some growth. Using 3-4 plates or some shit on the seated calf raise isn't going to get you there.

20.5 inches is huge. Can you post a pic? What are your stats?

Obviously everyone is different but I often fînd guys have to have it one way or another. By that I mean things like it has to be heavy weight or light weight or a or b but never both. It is true heavy weight for me is also best for calves regardless of those muscle fibers. Reason being you walk all day so your calves are used to your bodyweight for hours at a time. However I think like with anything a bit of everything works. To be it's all about intensity with calves... may that be with heavy or light weight. The same could be said about legs in general. Again though if you have crap calf genetics you could do fucking everything and they won't change much :eek::D

I know guys who played football (soccer) with no gym and had big calves just from the running. I trained my calves everyday for 6 months and they grew 1/2 inch :eek::D Literally abused myself daily at home and about 4-5 days in the gym till I could barely stand for 1/2 inch. I bet if I trained my arms everyday for 1 week straight right now they would grow 1/2 inch. I very rarely post exacts and as I always state everyone is different. But if someone has weak calves genetics I can pretty much safely state training them once weekly will do very little over time. I don't care what others say and even if it's a brutal workout if you have weak calves you need to hit them much more over time to get them looking decent. I have seen it with so many people it's not even a debate for me. 3 times weekly is a must for guys who struggle with them.

Again everything works but I find going too heavy is not good either. I have put 12 plates a side on the leg press for calf presses. Every seated calf raise I have used only holds about 6 plates and I have had a mate push down with 6 plates loaded. I find doing things like that just fucks up my knees over time. Although the seated calf raise is ok. But I get much more from it using a bit less bit still very heavy and being able to hit full rom for more reps. Then of course push down to get that extra burn. My calves are super strong but that has done fuck all to their development. Form and full rom is much more important for me personally but again everyone is different.

20.5 inches is huge. Can you post a pic? What are your stats?

Obviously everyone is different but I often fînd guys have to have it one way or another. By that I mean things like it has to be heavy weight or light weight or a or b but never both. It is true heavy weight for me is also best for calves regardless of those muscle fibers. Reason being you walk all day so your calves are used to your bodyweight for hours at a time. However I think like with anything a bit of everything works. To be it's all about intensity with calves... may that be with heavy or light weight. The same could be said about legs in general. Again though if you have crap calf genetics you could do fucking everything and they won't change much :eek::D

I know guys who played football (soccer) with no gym and had big calves just from the running. I trained my calves everyday for 6 months and they grew 1/2 inch :eek::D Literally abused myself daily at home and about 4-5 days in the gym till I could barely stand for 1/2 inch. I bet if I trained my arms everyday for 1 week straight right now they would grow 1/2 inch. I very rarely post exacts and as I always state everyone is different. But if someone has weak calves genetics I can pretty much safely state training them once weekly will do very little over time. I don't care what others say and even if it's a brutal workout if you have weak calves you need to hit them much more over time to get them looking decent. I have seen it with so many people it's not even a debate for me. 3 times weekly is a must for guys who struggle with them.

Again everything works but I find going too heavy is not good either. I have put 12 plates a side on the leg press for calf presses. Every seated calf raise I have used only holds about 6 plates and I have had a mate push down with 6 plates loaded. I find doing things like that just fucks up my knees over time. Although the seated calf raise is ok. But I get much more from it using a bit less bit still very heavy and being able to hit full rom for more reps. Then of course push down to get that extra burn. My calves are super strong but that has done fuck all to their development. Form and full rom is much more important for me personally but again everyone is different.

Yes, if the weight doesn't allow for full ROM, it's useless, I'm sorry, but I've seen way too many guys moving a shit ton of weight with crap calves moving in a small range, it just doesn't work. Good post!

Yes, if the weight doesn't allow for full ROM, it's useless, I'm sorry, but I've seen way too many guys moving a shit ton of weight with crap calves moving in a small range, it just doesn't work. Good post!

Exactly. How many guys do 1/4 reps on chest press or leg press or squats and they have crap chest and legs. Partial rom can be a great tool but you need that full rom in an overall workout.

I think heavy weight is only good... lift as heavy as you can with good form. But I have never seen a guy with inferior calf genetics grow decent calves with super heavy crap form reps in their exercises. Although I have seen some people build decent calves with light weight but just great form and intensity in their calf routine. They may not have had huge calves but they were nicely developed.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws