over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Can you grow on a keto diet?

ATP

Registered
I have been having some success getting lean with a low-carb diet (and cheat meal once every 10 days). The best part is that I am more alert and have more energy than ever. I used to always crash in the afternoon, but now I can go all day without caffeine. It is really amazing.

Anyway, I'm wondering how this type of diet would work for bulking. Could you just increase the fats or will that just make you fat? Can muscles grow without any carbs or do you need the glycogen to to grow the muscle cells?

If you have tried this approach, I'd particularly appreciate your assessment of the experience.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I can't run searches on my phone... :(

Thanks in advance for the help.

yes you can grow with no carbs but they sure make it easier!!

as long as you are getting in more calories than you put out you can grow. I wouldent just add fat though get alot of protein say 2 grams per pound and .75-1 gram of fat per pound , that should have in a surplus of cals.

personally I'd have at least two carb meals in their , first meal and directly after training

You can certainly grow, its all about calories, but id say it'll be hella lot easier to grow with carbs. You'd have to pound the shit out of your protein otherwise, and that would not be good health wise or digestion wise

As a start, as gunsmith pointed out you can start by introducing them morning and post workout....then when you hit a block maybe, pre-workout add them in there also...just food for thought..

Yes.

I eat a predominantly protein and fat diet with moderate amount of carbs pre and post workout. I train at 05.00 so its relatively straightforward to do this and then just eat pro/fat meals the rest of the day (I also eat a LOT of greens).

I am enjoying my training more than ever now and Im 45 yo with 25+ years lifting. Best of all I feel great and Im healthier than I was in my 20's.

Currently 118 kg (265 lbs) and nice and lean using this approach the past couple of years.

:)

Stick to the basics. Keto to grow doesn't make any sense. You won't grow!! Plus that diet for long periods of time is very unhealthy. Keep it simple, everyone uses carbs to grow!!

I am on my first ever Keto diet and feeling great. I was wondering the same thing, as I am about to start a bulk phase.

I think I'll add carbs back in, just to be sure.

I have been having some success getting lean with a low-carb diet (and cheat meal once every 10 days). The best part is that I am more alert and have more energy than ever. I used to always crash in the afternoon, but now I can go all day without caffeine. It is really amazing.

Anyway, I'm wondering how this type of diet would work for bulking. Could you just increase the fats or will that just make you fat? Can muscles grow without any carbs or do you need the glycogen to to grow the muscle cells?

If you have tried this approach, I'd particularly appreciate your assessment of the experience.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I can't run searches on my phone... :(

Thanks in advance for the help.

Are you talking about a true ketogenic diet where the majority of the carbs come from fat? the diet typicly is 1/2g protein per pound of body weight , trace carbs and the remainder of cals come from fat.
a high protein version is like the Palumbo diet which is 1.5g protein per pound of weight and 1/2g fat per pound of body weight

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the helpful replies! I guess the general consensus is I should add in some carbs.

Are you talking about a true ketogenic diet where the majority of the carbs come from fat? the diet typicly is 1/2g protein per pound of body weight , trace carbs and the remainder of cals come from fat.
a high protein version is like the Palumbo diet which is 1.5g protein per pound of weight and 1/2g fat per pound of body weight

Right now my fat:protein ratio is about .75:1 (in grams) because I have been in a dieting phase. Can you help me figure out what my fat:protein:carb ratio should be for gaining? ...I didn't write bulking because I want to gain muscle with as little fat as possible, even if that means slower gains.

Stick to the basics. Keto to grow doesn't make any sense. You won't grow!! Plus that diet for long periods of time is very unhealthy. Keep it simple, everyone uses carbs to grow!!

You waited almost a year to make this post and it is 100% wrong.

Ldubb? more like Ldumb.

Yes you can grow using keto... Look into Anabolic Diet or Body Opus
:yeahthat: Most definitely!

Last edited:
Not much,and very slow at that. Great for dieting though,used bodyopus for years.

Ldubb? more like Ldumb.

LOL.

Actually, I can't remember where I read it but Ketosis is the natural state of man... We are hunter gatherers and our ancestors would fast and feast... Their principle effort was killing their food (meat) and they would forage for nuts, berries ect. while hunting... But nature intended for humans to digest meat proteins and fats (or eggs) primarily. And for people to say "Ketosis is unhealthy" is not exactly accurate

This is absolutely right. If you're getting a ton of protein and just a little bit of fat you're not going to be in ketosis. It might work, but ketogenic means high fat, moderate protein, trace carb.

It is possible, but not optimal for most people.

Its just like cutting on higher carbs.... it can be done, and some people prefer it, but most people will find it much easier to drop bodyfat by reducing or eliminating carbs.

I know guys that use a Plaumbo diet to cut then simply add 10g protein to each meal and 150g carbs per day to grow.

10g more protein per meal , 75g carbs with meal 1 and 75g carbs with post workout meal

about and extra 800 cals a day and carbs come when the body needs them most

I know guys that use a Plaumbo diet to cut then simply add 10g protein to each meal and 150g carbs per day to grow.

10g more protein per meal , 75g carbs with meal 1 and 75g carbs with post workout meal

about and extra 800 cals a day and carbs come when the body needs them most

I think this approach would work well for me. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

great point gunsmith ,,

very simple basic and it works,,

I on the other hand like carb cycle and lower fat diet

But as I age I will up fats more and more as the trend seems to be from how our thyroid seems to function

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131