advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Can you legitimately get big while using Intermittent Fasting as your diet?

Sixdog76

Registered
IF seems like something I could stick with, but just curious of other experience with this diet and gaining size??

not... a.... chance

lol

IF seems like something I could stick with, but just curious of other experience with this diet and gaining size??

I think people need to realize their goals and expectations. Not directly you OP, but do you/we all have the genetics to be a 240lbs monster, nope or we all would be. IMO you have to be willing to accept the best body that you can achieve...

I think people need to realize their goals and expectations. Not directly you OP, but do you/we all have the genetics to be a 240lbs monster, nope or we all would be. IMO you have to be willing to accept the best body that you can achieve...

Makes sense, I have always been able to put on the size, but never able to be large and lean, which has always bothered me. Working out is easy sticking to a diet to get me into single digit body fat has been near impossible.

Thank for the input!

I had this debate 2 years ago and even put up a poll not one intermittent faster was making gains.
So they all switched to IIFYM lol.
Yeah, I can see the new fad coming any day now, we are due.
Just anything to get out of good ol hard ass dieting.

I had great results getting lean with IF. It was definitely more convenient to eat once a day. And cheaper. A lot cheaper.

But for getting big, I don't think it would work well. Of course 'big' is subjective, but for people on this board I don't think you could get big.

I'm doing it twice per week during my current bulk.

Training days (5x per week): 4,000 kcal (400 CHO, 400 PRO, 90 FAT).
Off days (2x per week): 1,500 kcal (20 CHO, 235 PRO, 60 FAT). Wake at 7am, start eating at 1:30pm.

Weekly this come out 3,150 kcal per day, which is about 10% over my maintenance. Been doing this for three weeks and I'm up a little over 2lbs with little fat gain.

The way I'm using IF is just as a form of calorie / carb cycling. This help keep insulin sensitivity high and hopefully allows me to gain more lean mass vs body fat. In the past my lean bulks have been around 60% lean mass / 40% body fat. Hoping this will tilt the scale in a little more favorable direction.

If all goes well, I will continue to raise calories on the training days, while keeping the IF days the same.

It can be used sparingly when bulking to increase insulin sensitivity and keep some control on body fat. Or you could just use tren:) I'll throw mabey 2x 24 hours an month or so in when cruising if I think I'm softening up. If Ive got a decent amount of gear in my system I want to feed it all day every day. If you want a beech body if it's probably the easiest hasle free way of doing it

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I'm doing it twice per week during my current bulk.

Training days (5x per week): 4,000 kcal (400 CHO, 400 PRO, 90 FAT).
Off days (2x per week): 1,500 kcal (20 CHO, 235 PRO, 60 FAT). Wake at 7am, start eating at 1:30pm.

Weekly this come out 3,150 kcal per day, which is about 10% over my maintenance. Been doing this for three weeks and I'm up a little over 2lbs with little fat gain.

The way I'm using IF is just as a form of calorie / carb cycling. This help keep insulin sensitivity high and hopefully allows me to gain more lean mass vs body fat. In the past my lean bulks have been around 60% lean mass / 40% body fat. Hoping this will tilt the scale in a little more favorable direction.

If all goes well, I will continue to raise calories on the training days, while keeping the IF days the same.

This is s good way to use if imo. I like your lay out

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

It depends. With a 20 hour fast 4 hour feed not a chance in hell. 12 hour fast n 12 feed works well though. Last meal 10-11pm then fast for a few hours in the am. Would be perfect time to shoot some hgh or peptides and do some fasted cardio.

Prob not gonna reach new weight limits but could defo recomp on a set up like that

I've cut using IF. It works and its easy because it takes a lot of the thinking out of eating. You just dont fucking eat for a good chunk of time and you get results - no brainer. I think I lost more muscle on an IF cut than other approaches but I think my protein was not high enough and my T3 was too high. It's hard to get your macros and cals in with IF if you are trying to GAIN and not cut. You miss at least a good 2 meals between 7am-Noon (depending on your meal plan schedule). I personally prefer to hit my targets over about 4 meals a day (one of those a large shake) and an additional INTRA shake that is HBCD/peptopro. It's just easier and my digestion is better this way. I try to put carbs before/after training. I sometimes do a carbless breakfast while im coasting on the gh lipolysis "window" after I've taken that morning dose.

So I think IF is fine for cutting, but for adding lean mass, I find IF to have some major flaws. If, hypothetically, you could easily get your same macros and calories in and have the same pre/post workout nutrition as you would with more meals, than it would be on equal footing with a 6-7x meal plan. It is just very hard to match this using IF in the real world. There is more and more evidence that meal frequency, alone, is more broscience than real science. So I do not think there is some magic to eating the every 1.5 hours hours versus 3x a day or whatever ASSUMING CALS/Macros for the day are the same. That is the critical distinction. But the difficulty with IF is getting your cals/macros in when trying to grow in a calorie surplus but with such a limited feeding window. IF will definitely improve insulin sensitivity on a bulk as compared to a regular bulk where you eat round the clock. When I say "bulk" a just mean a modest calorie surplus and/or carb modulation that is enough to promote steady lean gains. I do not believe in, nor endorse, an all out "dirty bulk" where one gains a bunch of fat in the off-season period or whatever. I think that is 1 step forward, 2 steps back after you cut all the new lard.

Intermittent Thoughts On Intermittent Fasting - Myth #1: A Higher Meal Frequency Equals a Higher Metabolic Rate. - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Intermittent Thoughts on Intermittent Fasting - Myth #2: Reducing Meal Frequency to 1-2 Meals Will Make You Fat. - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Weight loss: faster and healthier with 2 meals a day

Leave a dollar in the tip jar for my boy at SuppVersity when you stop by.

Last edited:
I had this debate 2 years ago and even put up a poll not one intermittent faster was making gains.
So they all switched to IIFYM lol.
Yeah, I can see the new fad coming any day now, we are due.
Just anything to get out of good ol hard ass dieting.

Heard the new fad is IIFYIFMWEVDBHCGA
If It Fits Your Intermittent Fasting Macros While Eating Vegan Doing Bong Hits Chanting Golden Age

2 guesses senor as to who is the chief founder:D

is it possible to get big off crossfit?

lol! Can you get JACKED doing IF and CF at the same time tho, my good bros?

Troll detected, RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

artworks-000062006584-kqffdz-t200x200.jpg

So long as the person manages to eat above maintenance level for the day, it is possible.

So long as the person manages to eat above maintenance level for the day, it is possible.

This is what my post above says, only with a lot more elaborate, rambling drivel and some links to related reading.

Possible? Yes, assuming same cals/macro for that feeding window.
Ideal? No way. For gaining, 4-5 meals including 1 of those being shakes seem a minimum.

There is also a concept of a per feeding carb threshold. If you eat a limited 30-40g carb per meal (this number obviously varies per person) you are less likely to store fat. This is where meal frequency can be of benefit. If you slam a bunch of food (with some fat) and 300+g carbs in one feeding, guess what is MORE likely to happen based on the hormone (insulin) response and such - fat accrual.

Last edited:
My thinking is staying lean is more about managing insulin than anything else. You can eat whenever but if you try to time your insulinogenic meals appropriately you can stay lean.

Problem is to get big you want insulin forcing nutrients into the muscle, this could ""possibly"" be achieved by limiting carbs for periods while utilizing insulinogenic proteins to drive growth.

Just my thinking, I'm not trying to be huge. My goal is about 200-210 shredded.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131