over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Car Building Legend Dies

Jerkyboy

Registered
Hey guys-

I know this isnt really a topic for a bodybuilding board, but at the same time I feel its important enough (and he's so very well known) that hopefully it will be allowed. After all, what he does is kind of similar to what we do.

Mr. C. takes worn out, rusted, "heading for the graveyard" old pieces of crap cars and totally rebuilds them to something that looks better and handles better than it ever did when it was new (or younger).

Not that any of you are pieces of crap, just making a generalization here, lol.

Now lets everyone bow their heads for a moment of silence, Mr. C. was one of- if not the 1st - true GREAT ONES. Ever since Cadzilla came out when I was in middleschool...

My prayers go out to his family and friends. I didnt know him personally and I feel like I've just lost my best friend, very sad over his passing.

JB

Car-Building legend Boyd Coddington dies

By JEFF WILSON, Associated Press Writer Wed Feb 27, 11:03 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Car-building legend Boyd Coddington, whose testosterone-injected cable TV reality show "American Hot Rod" introduced the nation to the West Coast hot rod guru, has died. He was 63.

Coddington died at Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in suburban Whittier at 6:20 a.m. Wednesday. His La Habra office spokeswoman Amanda Curry wouldn't disclose the cause of death.

Coddington, who started building cars when he was 13 and once operated a gas station in Utah, set a standard for his workmanship and creativity, with his popular "Cadzilla" creation considered a design masterpiece. The customized car based on a 1950s Cadillac was built for rocker Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.

"That was a groundbreaking car. Very cool," said Dick Messer, executive director of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

"This was your modern era George Barris," Messer said. "He did things to hot rods and customs that weren't being done by anyone else. But the main thing is he designed cars that were drivable."

Coddington was a machinist by trade, working at Disneyland during the day and tinkering with cars in his home garage at night and on weekends. His rolling creations captured the imagination of car-crazy Southern Californians and soon he was building custom cars and making money.

Most often, he customized 1932 Ford "little deuce coupes."

"It was one of those things when a hobby turned into business," Messer said, noting Coddington was also "one of the first guys to get into the custom wheel business."

Wheels by Boyd were fetching $2,000 apiece, which was unheard of two decades ago.

Coddington also surrounded himself with talent. Alumni from his shop include Jesse James and Chip Foose, who went on to open their own shops and star in reality TV shows.

Coddington twice won the Daimler-Chrysler Design Excellence Award and he was inducted into the Grand National Roadster Show Hall of Fame, the National Rod & Custom Museum Hall of Fame and the Route 66 Wall of Fame.

Always dressed in a Hawaiian shirt, Coddington said he loved his "American Hot Rod" Discovery Channel show, which featured ground-up construction of $500,000 hot rods.

"The viewers are ... people who lived in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s and loved these cars. Now, they have money," Coddington told The Associated Press in a 2004 interview.

On The Net:

http://www.boydcoddington.com

RIP

I've been a fan of Boyd's for almost 20 years. My prayers go out to his friends and family.

RIP

That sucks, he was an amazing creator of machines.

wow. first I've heard. Damn, legend for sure! Pioneer in that industry.:(

Yes.....he will be missed!! Incredible rods he used to build.

Here's one of his creations

bchr10-1.jpg

WOW.... I had know idea. Damn i find out everything on this board!!!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131