over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

carb counting sugar alcohol ?

lilgumby

Kilo Klub Member
Just wondering how any of you count carbs . Do you just take the carbs minus fiber . thats what i do or do you take off the fiber and the sugar alcohol also . I think taking if the sugar alcohol is a marketing scheme .

I've been dieting and like to just track total carbs. I don't eat many sugar alcohols. I understand you can subtract fiber but it seems tedious and unnecessary as long as you're consistent.

long as you're consistent with your carb count it won't matter. I count everything from fiber to sugar alcohol (i.e. 2 grams of sugar alcohol per stick of sugar free gum). I also count each splenda pack I use as one gram of sugar because, while it is "sugar free," it will still add up after multiple packets since in the US, the FDA only requires a food to be less than 5 calories per serving to be considered sugar or calorie free.

Long winded but moral of the story is whether you count them or not, just be consistent.

Also don't overdo the sugar alcohol.. too much will give you a tummy ache :(

I tend to not count sugar alcohols myself.

I use the KISS method. Carbs are carbs.

As I understand it you count 2 grams as 1 with sugar alcohol as you digest about 50% of it. The only sugar alcohol I get is from nicotine gum but tbh I don't count it.

long as you're consistent with your carb count it won't matter. I count everything from fiber to sugar alcohol (i.e. 2 grams of sugar alcohol per stick of sugar free gum). I also count each splenda pack I use as one gram of sugar because, while it is "sugar free," it will still add up after multiple packets since in the US, the FDA only requires a food to be less than 5 calories per serving to be considered sugar or calorie free.

Long winded but moral of the story is whether you count them or not, just be consistent.

Also don't overdo the sugar alcohol.. too much will give you a tummy ache :(

This. I eat 2 apples and 2 oranges a day that I don't count as it's consistent

a couple guys using LBAs tried to see if the sugar alcohol carbs from the glycerol would cover their carbs when using insulin like "regular" carbs..... they didn't and the guys felt themselves going hypo... from what I've read they count as a half or a third of a normal carb...

Do not neglect the fact that over indulging in sugar alcohol carbs will severely up your diarrhea macros. LOL Don't believe it, look for the amazon reviews of the Haribou Sugar Free Gummy Bears. Hilarious.

For some I believe the sugar alcohols and some artificial sweetners in general can trigger a similar insulin response as sugar. Some of the "low carb" benefit may not exist for some for these products. I think I am one of them.

Sugar alcohol is listed under the carbohydrate macro on the nutrition profile, but this does not mean that sugar alcohol yields 4 calories per gram as a standard carbohydrate does. Some sugar alcohols are only 1-3 calorie per gram. I just read yesterday that Erythritol is actually like .24 calories per gram. Each sugar alcohol is different.

Someone mentioned splenda which is an artificial sweetner, not a sugar alcohol. Different. However, pay attention because most artificial sweetners are 100's of times more sweet than sugar, they are usually diluted with maltodextrin and/or dextrose, which ARE carbohydrates. They keep the listed serving size so small that the measurement is under .5g so it allows them to say it is 0g on everything nutritionally.

I just picked up some truvia. It is stevia extract with Erythritol. So because the calorie content of Erythritol is so negligible especially when you probably won't even use more than 1/2 tbsp at a time, I won't bother to try and count the calories.

Yup. I'll even count a gram of carb in a piece of chicken. No carbs go uncounted.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws