over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Carb load / diet technique I'm using.

Dave_19

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I just wanted to share a dieting technique I have been using. I'm currently on a ketogenic diet, staying in Ketosis from any where from 7-14 days. I know traditionally the keto carb up last about 2 days, cutting carbs out around meal 5 or 6. I'm willing to sacrifice a little muscle glycogen to stay in ketosis longer, and to get into it quicker.

So Basically when Its time to carb up I will extend my day by waking up earlier and going to sleep later, I will also increase my meals. Last carb up I had 6 complex carb meals starting w/ higher gi working towards lower gi, (majority high gi complex carbs due to short carb up) Meal 7 was a lean protein meal, low fat, no carbs. meal 8 is a 50:50 protein/fat meal. Meal 9 was mainly a fat load in attempt to get back into ketosis faster. using EFA's, pure coconut oil, with a fatty meat and carbless cheese.

The AM the next day I will do fasted cardio, low intensity 60 mins.

Using this technique I was back into deep ketosis by 8:00pm the following day, according to ketostix. The following zero carb days I noticed I was making significant progress. By day 3 I looked much harder and leaner then prior to the carb up. Usually day 3 following a traditional carb up I will just be getting back into ketosis. This also seemed to supply me just enough carbs, I had enough glycogen to hit my entire body hard once this week with no problems.

I realize a keto diet isn't Ideal for most bodybuilders. Especially a CKD, but I'm not too concerned with gaining or even conserving much muscle mass due to my goals which require less body weight. So far this variation of a CKD I'm doing has been extremely effective for fat loss in a short period of time.

Last edited:
Also one more thing that seems to work for me. Mid way into ketosis do a calorie/fat load. So basically if you're staying in ketosis for 14 days, on day 7 instead of a high carb day I will have a high fat/cal day. I respond to a deficit much better after a load like this. Its just a theory but I feel it could potentially keep leptin levels under control by jumping out of a deficit tricking the body, and the high fat cals may accelerate ketosis. The 2nd part of this fat load is an intermediate fasting period the next morning. fasting for about 8 hours after waking u before meal 1 (about 16 hours total). My theory is the body gets so adapted to fat metabolism that this window of time will extend on through, once your digested fat has ran out, I think there is a delay before you brain gets you out of this "fat burning mode". During this fasting period I produced an incredible amount of ketones compared to most periods on the diet, this is also while staying well hydrated. But this isn't enough proof obviously for any thing, again just a theory. This probably isn't Ideal for a bodybuilder, but it's worked amazing for me, when it comes to fat loss over the short term.

Sounds good, and regarding your second post about leptin levels, I believe you are correct. I remember reading a study saying that leptin levels were affected by total calories rather than carb intake. So it seems like bumping your calories high by means of fatloading should still boost your leptin levels.

Dave19, Since you are actually into ketosis from testing with keto strips, im assuming your fat intake is equal or higher than protein intake? If so, I would be interested in seeing sample meal plan for the day? I like your 12-18 hour clean carb load to. I think the 48 hr refeed of "anything goes" was a marketing scheme to make the diet more apealing to mainstream. You can do a lotta damage with a 36-48 binge fest, 2 steps forward 2-3 steps back in my opinion. I have tried numerous ketogenic approaches, including, CKD, TKD and NHE. Keep us posted.

Sounds good, and regarding your second post about leptin levels, I believe you are correct. I remember reading a study saying that leptin levels were affected by total calories rather than carb intake. So it seems like bumping your calories high by means of fatloading should still boost your leptin levels.

should still boost leptin levels but not as much as a high carb and high calorie day but i must say ur plan does look good

something i like is how u occasionally go 16 hours between meals as i believe in something similar to it; on my easy weeks in the gym i eat 5 meals on training days compared to my usual 7, 4 on off days except sunday where i take in 3 meals compared to my usual 6, one day a week when im going hard in the gym i only take in 4 meals as i feel it is a nice change of pace for the digestive system and mind. going longer than 3 hours between meals occasionally will not throw ur body into an unalderated catabolic state one cannot come back from

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear