over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

carb loading for show question

theslime

Registered
Im trying to qualify for the canadian nationals next weekend. Its my third show and I dread the carb loading of thursday and friday. My trainer has me carb loading on potatoes and rice and I just feel like its so bland and Im force feeding. Am I just bad at dieting? For my whole diet, my only carb source has been oatmeal with splenda, which tastes good to me. 600 g of carbs in potatoes and rice without salt or butter is really a pain. Any tips?

Woaaaaaa

Im trying to qualify for the canadian nationals next weekend. Its my third show and I dread the carb loading of thursday and friday. My trainer has me carb loading on potatoes and rice and I just feel like its so bland and Im force feeding. Am I just bad at dieting? For my whole diet, my only carb source has been oatmeal with splenda, which tastes good to me. 600 g of carbs in potatoes and rice without salt or butter is really a pain. Any tips?

I think the whole thing sounds crazy........

Can your trainer 100% guarantee that carbing you up will make you look better? If not I suggest you not do it. If you are ripped and look good just coast into a show. Even when people do carb up and look good it's rarely repeatable just ask Dennis Wolf or King Kamali. I've seen this so many times over the last 20 plus years. 5 months or more of contest prep down the tubes because of a last minute trick.

Can your trainer 100% guarantee that carbing you up will make you look better? If not I suggest you not do it. If you are ripped and look good just coast into a show. Even when people do carb up and look good it's rarely repeatable just ask Dennis Wolf or King Kamali. I've seen this so many times over the last 20 plus years. 5 months or more of contest prep down the tubes because of a last minute trick.

Well Im at 120 g of carbs right now. So 600 g in two days isnt too bad, its just the type of carb that grosses me out. I can eat potatoes and rice no problem, but without any seasoning, salt or butter added, its hard to take all that food. It is what I did for my last two shows though and I think i looked good but i had a hard time eating the food and I felt gassy and uncomfortable the day of the show. By the way, my trainer is a pro bb, but unlike me he is used to eat his food bland (without anything added for taste) year round.

This is very interesting. I am no competitor but I am dieting and look flat and can't imagine not carbing up to look fuller

Well Im at 120 g of carbs right now. So 600 g in two days isnt too bad, its just the type of carb that grosses me out. I can eat potatoes and rice no problem, but without any seasoning, salt or butter added, its hard to take all that food. It is what I did for my last two shows though and I think i looked good but i had a hard time eating the food and I felt gassy and uncomfortable the day of the show. By the way, my trainer is a pro bb, but unlike me he is used to eat his food bland (without anything added for taste) year round.

Your show is not going to be won or lost on whether you eat a certain type of carb. Someone is over thinking all this.

Your show is not going to be won or lost on whether you eat a certain type of carb. Someone is over thinking all this.

So what could I carb up with instead. Oatmeal again? What do you use as carbs on friday and thursday?

So you are dieting to look flat?

No but it just happens. I can't lose fat with carbs. I've gone down to 2000 cals and still not lost any fat when eating carbs. Eating just 50-100 a day now and it is still slow going at 2400-2500 cals. Really only keto works for fat loss but I am trying to get there with some carbs for a change to see if I can do it.

The OP is only eating 120g, I would assume he feels flat most likely (unless on tren ha)

It's so confusing. If you ask 100 different guys, you'll get 100 different opinions about carbing up and cutting water before a show.

Shitloading sounds fun, but seems way too risky for a newbie.

Here is where you are going wrong.....

You've hired a trainer and you are second guessing what they are telling you. Now you are asking others for their input. Changing things at the last minute is a sure fire way to mess things up. Next time hire Phil or Mag or whoever and see it through to the end. If it does not work for you, at least you know what WONT work and you are slowly learning your body. Phil and Jim know their stuff but without knowing YOUR body, asking last minute advice when you've already trusted someone to help you isn't the smartest thing. Just my opinion.

Here is where you are going wrong.....

You've hired a trainer and you are second guessing what they are telling you. Now you are asking others for their input. Changing things at the last minute is a sure fire way to mess things up. Next time hire Phil or Mag or whoever and see it through to the end. If it does not work for you, at least you know what WONT work and you are slowly learning your body. Phil and Jim know their stuff but without knowing YOUR body, asking last minute advice when you've already trusted someone to help you isn't the smartest thing. Just my opinion.

Youre reading it wrong. I will do what my trainer tells me as far as number of carbs and everything. Ive stuck with this guy for three years. My only problem is I feel gassy and I have trouble getting the food down when I carb with bland foods that werent part of my dieting process and I was looking for a way to make this easier. My trainer doesnt mind the blandness while I really have a hard time with it. Im just looking for variations of the concept my trainer gave me, its not like im going to replace my carb up plan with a shitload!

So what could I carb up with instead. Oatmeal again? What do you use as carbs on friday and thursday?

I hate to give advice to you as far as specific carb up day of show advise. You need to go to your trainer and express your concerns to him. Tell him what you are saying to us and don't be afraid to voice your opinion to him. When I train someone I always like to hear feedback from the people that I train.

Carb deplete and carb load are a crap shoot at best. I would listen to Magnum. I learned a long time ago that unless you can gurantee timing of this it can be a disaster. Like Magnum said and many others would agree. You will probably look best 1 or two weeks out from the show....if your diet went to plan. So the only thing you should be worried about at that point is water. Just look at dropping water before the show and step on stage!;)

No but it just happens. I can't lose fat with carbs. I've gone down to 2000 cals and still not lost any fat when eating carbs. Eating just 50-100 a day now and it is still slow going at 2400-2500 cals. Really only keto works for fat loss but I am trying to get there with some carbs for a change to see if I can do it.

The OP is only eating 120g, I would assume he feels flat most likely (unless on tren ha)

OK this is just my opinion but it's from years of experience. Obviously there is more than one way to go about this and you are sayin that you like to diet with lower carbs because you respond better this way. This is fine, although as I have been doing this for a very long time I prefer to do things a little different. Let me give you an example of something that just happened and I think that I touched upon this on Off Topic Radio in more depth.

A guy that I know came to me about a month ago. He was dieting on low carbs and he was eating cabs on specific days after certain longer workouts thinking that this would somehow fill him up I guess. All that this was doing was slowing down the fat process. I took his carbs completely away on most days. I had him carb up on Sat ever other meal. He is eating fats and carbs together as I do not like to use just carbs alone. On wed I gave him one meal of 100 grams of Carbo Hit with 50 gr of protein.

I also adjusted his supps a little and upped his cardio slightly too. When he came to me he weighed 255 and 2.5 weeks later he was noticeably leaner and still weighed 255. One week after that he is down to 252.5 with very good definition. The problem here was that he was keeping just enough carbs in to slow the fat process down and was not eating enough food on specific days. I could go on but I think you prob get the point. This is how I like to diet my guys down and I have been doing this for 20 years and have never run into anyone that didn't respond. Bottom line is you gotta know when to adjust things to keep the progress going.

Thanks magnum.

I think I can take something from that post. I will try some of those ideas for sure. Maybe add in some coconut oil for energy to replace the carbs on the "low" days.

I am currently doing it much like the guy you spoke with and notice that all I get from the carb days is bloat. I will try some of those changes but it sucks cause I just bought fruit to try as my carb source PWO so I guess it will have to wait a little because I'd hate to waste good fruit.

ADDED: I thought the carbs were good to maintain muscle. Guess I need to get a trainer sooner than I had hoped. Money sucks now and cutting is something I thought I knew how to do ha...

To the OP - SORRY, I will take my question to PM or another thread.

Last edited:
Youre reading it wrong. I will do what my trainer tells me as far as number of carbs and everything. Ive stuck with this guy for three years. My only problem is I feel gassy and I have trouble getting the food down when I carb with bland foods that werent part of my dieting process and I was looking for a way to make this easier. My trainer doesnt mind the blandness while I really have a hard time with it. Im just looking for variations of the concept my trainer gave me, its not like im going to replace my carb up plan with a shitload!

You are correct sir, I did read that wrong and for that I apologize. If I get gas from carbs, I use a digestive enzyme. I think everyone should use one anyway but it helps me out on the heavier meals particularly pre-contest.

Usually the best thing to do is stick with the same foods that you have been used to eating throughout the diet. This way you know you shouldnt have any issues with being bloated and gassy from any new foods.

Potao is natural appetite suppressant.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner