over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

carb question

vanya

Registered
If you could only eat carbs twice a day while dieting, when would you eat them? What about only once a day?

I would have said before and after your workout, but there are guys around with a lot more experience than me, that will chime in. ;)

Magnum-Can you elaborate a little?

magnums right

doesnt matter

but what does matter is WHAT kind of carbs???and how much??
:cool:

I eat all mine (100g right now) in the first and third meal of the day , split 50g and 50g , its all complex from oats.

i think the plan is to have them all used up and out of the system well before bedtime

Magnum-Can you elaborate a little?

Well, someone wants to cut there carb meals down to say one or two meals per day. Right now I'm eating two carb meals per day. So I work out usually around 7 so I guess I would have to ask myself if it is going to be detrimental if I DON'T eat a carb meal right before my workout or right after my workout and if so then why? You'll get many different opinions on this. Some will say you would need to eat it before for the energy, but I'm of the opinion that if you have to eat a carb meal say at 5 pm instead of say 2 pm just so you can get thru a workout then your doing something wrong. Some will be of the opinion you will need them right after a workout to refill your glycogen stores. Unless your taking insulin right after your workout then I personally like to eat protein first. I have done it many different ways so I am speaking from experience not just from me, but from my clients too and I have never seen a difference. You are not losing that much glycogen after a workout. Remember, protein builds muscle and that is always first priority.

Last edited:
magnums right

doesnt matter

but what does matter is WHAT kind of carbs???and how much??
:cool:

Correct! Which carbs are you eating? Complex Carbs or Simple Carbs?
High Glycemic Carbs or Low Glycemic Carbs? Listen to your body and how does it response between those 2 carbs.

So...

For a guy that works regular day hours, trains late afternoon, and goes to bed around 9pm, when would you suggest to shut off any carb consumption?

My last meal with carbs is around 6pm, it's usually 1 cup veges and 1 serving of oats or brown rice with a meat serving (usually fish, chicken or lean beef).

At about 8pm I have 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese with 1 TBSP salsa. I am losing fat slowly but damn, it is very slow.

Should I cut carbs out of the 6pm meal, which is meal #5 usually? I have been eating carbs with all other meals as well.

So...

For a guy that works regular day hours, trains late afternoon, and goes to bed around 9pm, when would you suggest to shut off any carb consumption?

My last meal with carbs is around 6pm, it's usually 1 cup veges and 1 serving of oats or brown rice with a meat serving (usually fish, chicken or lean beef).

At about 8pm I have 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese with 1 TBSP salsa. I am losing fat slowly but damn, it is very slow.

Should I cut carbs out of the 6pm meal, which is meal #5 usually? I have been eating carbs with all other meals as well.

When you say Vegetables, what kind of Vegetables are you eating? Also you doing cardio? How often you eat? Every 2-4 hours?

Yes, I do cardio 3 days per week for 20 minute sessions, just started this about 1 month ago. I lift the other 3 days.

For vegetables it is always broccoli, green beans, or stir fry type veges.

I also eat every 2 - 3 hours throughout the day. I do eat carbs with every meal except for my meal right before bed. Could this be why the weight is coming off so slow? Maybe more cardio?

So...

No need to "shut them off" at any certain time. Now, if you are wanting to lose body fat then cutting back on your calories is the only way.

No need to "shut them off" at any certain time. Now, if you are wanting to lose body fat then cutting back on your calories is the only way.

So, cut down on calories from fats and carbs first, right?

Thats a loaded questions , if your fasta re from fried chicken and carbs from icecream then yes.

but if their fats are from quality beef or eggs then I'd say no , same for carbs high sugar carbs cut them back , low GI carbs not as bad.

I personaly saw a big improvment when I cut my carbs out with my preworkout meal (2pm and that was fruit) no more carbs after that. saw a marked differance in fat loss when i got the carbs down to 200g a day , 50g each of the 4 early meals.

BUT , i have relized that my body tupe is very carb sensitive , some guys can eat 300g carbs for late dinner and not have any problems losing fat. you gotta play with it and see what your body wants

That depends although that is not a bad idea. Pick a diet that suits you and go slowly. Go for around 1.5 pounds per week.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I didn't mean to take over the thread. I also have a banana or orange with protein prior to workout. I am gonna try cutting that out and limiting my carbs a little more.

Thanks again!

Calories in and Calories out. You have to burn more calories than you consumed.

thanks for all the input guys. Yeah I have found I don't need very many carbs at all to stay full/grow/whatever. If i ate 300 carbs/day I'd balloon up with fat, Of course i'm only 5 7 and around 185-190 so that could be why but I'm not sure. I'm a little behind where I want to be fat loss wise for the upcoming show and I think I am going to stick to around 60 carbs a day from ezekial bread all early in the day none pre or post workout with one refeed day of maybe 150 carbs and also start adding in some HIIT cardio 1-2 times a week on top of my 40 min LISS cardio i do around 4-5 days a week PWO usually. I drink an intra workout shake (size on precontest) and then a shake with 75 grams protein PWO so I think all the protein/ BCAAs in the size on keep me plenty anabolic so no need for PWO carbs and I remember dorian yates himself saying his preworkout meal was just a protein shake if I recall correctly. Anyway critique what i wrote away and keep the knowledge coming please guys!

vanya , theirs alot more to it than just cutting the carbs out , if your getting to much protein then that can alos limit your fat loss , their has to be a balance between the fast , carbs and proteins.

like some say it not so much a timing issue but i firmly believe that their is a aot of people that have issues with losing fats because their macros are all scattered about.

over the years i've tried every new hyped up supplement and AAS that has come down the pipe to try to drop body fat and get bigger , bla , bla , bla. Last Septemeber I hired a trainer and now I wish i would have dne it 10 years ago. I have made better gains in muscle , losses in fat and stayed more healthy due to using far less "supplements" than ever. Certainly money well spent.
I use Alex Axarian and think he is top of the class for getting guys ripped , his diet plans are easy to follow , not an all or nothing type deal like soe of the zero carb diets , he responds very fast and i don't think i'm delt with a more personable guy. I'm not saying that Shelby or Phil or Magnum or any of the other guys here arn't as good I just can't speek from experiance of dealing with them.

I promise you that you will piss away more mony in the next 6 months trying to find out what you need to do or trying to supplement your way lean than if you spent the $300 to hire Alex (or any of the others) , and at the end of the 6 months you won't be nearly as close to where you want to be.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rpsly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131