Carb Timing

mytreefiddy

IFBB PRO / Featured Member / Verified Customer
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Implementing a "lean bulk" starting in September.....gonna go for about 20 weeks. Gonna run a wee bit of Test, NPP and EQ....i'm gonna try "back loading" for the 1st time.....I train late in the afternoon so i feel this may benefit me the most.... anybody back load with great success??... not sure if a more balanced approach would be better.... thoughts?

hmm havent tried this myself, but essentially i dont see why it couldnt work. just have all your carbs in the last several meals of the day post workout. so if that comes out to 100g carbs per meal so be it

not sure if it really makes all that much of a difference.

Just get all your macros in.

I personally would think it would be more beneficial to have carbs throughout the day...allowing for more stable blood sugars and insulin levels...maybe post workout have some extra

but I do not know if that extra amount of carbs will create that strong of an effect.

Who knows if one way is more effective...but it all comes down to calories. If you are eating in a surplus, at the end of the day you will gain weight.

Be it equal meals, or carbs only around training or whatever

Last edited:
It depends what you mean by Backloading....

If you have most of your carbs PWO...probably a good plan.

If you use this as an excuse to eat garbage PWO, probably won't help.

I do like keeping most of my carbs around my workouts (ie. Mountaindog) when trying to lean bulk and/or cut though.

I stay leaner with carbs around workout and a little before bed

I think it's a good idea bro. Maybe have a little before WO for energy then backload after.

Eating carbs all day long equals overworked pancreas, constantly elevated BG levels, high triglycerides, etc. Use fat for energy all day except for glycolytic activity and backload to refill glycogen PWO.

I think it's a good plan.

I think it's a good idea bro. Maybe have a little before WO for energy then backload after.

Eating carbs all day long equals overworked pancreas, constantly elevated BG levels, high triglycerides, etc. Use fat for energy all day except for glycolytic activity and backload to refill glycogen PWO.

I think it's a good plan.

Think this is more to do with genetics. My blood glucose runs low and stable eating carbs day in day out and I feel like Shit if I don't get them every day.Im stronger if I train carbless though so pre workout is when I have my one carbless meal. I think some insulin down time is important. Yours is a good approach just that we all respond differently. I have done the fats and protein all day and back load at night and it was Ok tbh, just no better for me than a steady state approach. So long as I get 350 carbs per day I feel great either way. I'm on 300 at the moment and feel good. The extra 50 makes s big difference though and I don't drag ass in the morning but I wanna grow real slow at the moment.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If you use this as an excuse to eat garbage PWO, probably won't help.

Don't go based on my cheats brother...LOL... no all good carbs strictly post... last 3 meals.... roughly 60-70g each....i figured this will work best cuz at night while im just relaxing watching tube is when i get the urge sometimes to pick at something.....the carbs should keep me satisfied before I hit the sack.. gonna give it a crack

Carbs are anabolic, carbs with every meal IMO. You will only get fat if eat too many total calories. Meals without carbs will just turn your protein in glucose.

Carbs are anabolic, carbs with every meal IMO. You will only get fat if eat too many total calories. Meals without carbs will just turn your protein in glucose.

Even with added fat with the protein ? Thanks

Think this is more to do with genetics. My blood glucose runs low and stable eating carbs day in day out and I feel like Shit if I don't get them every day.Im stronger if I train carbless though so pre workout is when I have my one carbless meal. I think some insulin down time is important. Yours is a good approach just that we all respond differently. I have done the fats and protein all day and back load at night and it was Ok tbh, just no better for me than a steady state approach. So long as I get 350 carbs per day I feel great either way. I'm on 300 at the moment and feel good. The extra 50 makes s big difference though and I don't drag ass in the morning but I wanna grow real slow at the moment.

Yeah, you have a weird body though :p

Obviously the same thing won't work for everyone. I think the key is trying different approaches, and giving each one a honest shot for 6-8 months or so and decide what works best. That's what I did and how I came to know what makes me feel best, grow steadily and stay lean and most importantly, stay healthy. :)

Yeah, you have a weird body though :p

Obviously the same thing won't work for everyone. I think the key is trying different approaches, and giving each one a honest shot for 6-8 months or so and decide what works best. That's what I did and how I came to know what makes me feel best, grow steadily and stay lean and most importantly, stay healthy. :)

Absolutely agree,. There are others like me that thrive on higher carb diets though but we seem to be the minority. I have an odd metabolism that just ramps up and up the more carbs you put in. I even get night sweats if I over do my carbs workout any tren. I get real cold with no carbs. I think your approach is probably one of the best for at least 70% of people if not more though and find your posts on the subject very interesting. I think I might be very lepton sensitive as even insulin seems to lean me out if I eat clean and watch fat intake and I'm talking 20iu shots of log pre and post workout.

Last edited:

Curious to know this as well as my early meals have fat (Natty PB, almonds, EVOO, eggs)...

I don't think 3000-3100 calories are too much.... the least amount of calories will be coming from carbs.... i'll adjust accordingly

Thats what I do...works for me. My buddy will literally knod off a
nd cant lift if his carbs are too low. Everyone is different.

also curious about the protein turning to glucose thing. some meals ill only have protein/fat....

also curious about the protein turning to glucose thing. some meals ill only have protein/fat....

He's talking about gluconeogenesis. If your body only knows to use glucose for energy, when you go long enough without carbs your liver creates glucose through this metabolic process.

IMHO though, if you're fat-adapted, meaning your body can efficiently use fat for energy during a normal day and low level activity, with a diet high enough in fat, it has a protein sparing effect, just like carbs would. This is where carb backloading really gives you the best of both worlds. Around your workout, you give you body glucose to fuel the glycolytic activity and then flood your body with carbs PWO for recovery. The rest of the day, your body switches substrates and used fat for energy.

In my experience, this has allowed me to stay leaner, while still making quality gains.

Bump for kal

This is what one of the best bodybuilders ever, best trainers ever and one of the smartest guys here was telling all the time, this is so simple and basic, given away for free so none wants to believe that, Everyone wants to believe that there are secrets to builds muscle, science of muscle building, intra peri post workout shakes, carb timing, carbload, blood volume, time under tension training, magical superest or workout routines developed over the years of someones training lol and things like that. None wants to believe that this is so simple you have to train heavy and hard, eat basic diet today and do the same thing tomorrow, because training heavy and hard, eating the same foods every day is not fun

I am not Phil Hernons clients, never was, but if I would compete at the seriouss level Phil would be one and the only guru I would hire. He is all basic, he is telling the same things now as he was telling 10 years ago when I joined this board, and I am sure he did all those things 10 years ago when he competed, because this is what always worked. There has been created more and more threads just recently where the guys are thankfull Phil for his tips and wisdom, I am predicting that we will see more and more threads or posts like that, when the guys will get tired of those new fancy bodybuilding ideas/phylosophies with no results and gets back to basics which always worked.

This is what one of the best bodybuilders ever, best trainers ever and one of the smartest guys here was telling all the time, this is so simple and basic, given away for free so none wants to believe that, Everyone wants to believe that there are secrets to builds muscle, science of muscle building, intra peri post workout shakes, carb timing, carbload, blood volume, time under tension training, magical superest or workout routines developed over the years of someones training lol and things like that. None wants to believe that this is so simple you have to train heavy and hard, eat basic diet today and do the same thing tomorrow, because training heavy and hard, eating the same foods every day is not fun

I am not Phil Hernons clients, never was, but if I would compete at the seriouss level Phil would be one and the only guru I would hire. He is all basic, he is telling the same things now as he was telling 10 years ago when I joined this board, and I am sure he did all those things 10 years ago when he competed, because this is what always worked. There has been created more and more threads just recently where the guys are thankfull Phil for his tips and wisdom, I am predicting that we will see more and more threads or posts like that, when the guys will get tired of those new fancy bodybuilding ideas/phylosophies with no results and gets back to basics which always worked.

Good post!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Urs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner