over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Carb timing

joos23

Sponsor Rep
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
What's everyone's input on keeping carbs at breakfeast, pre, intra, and post only vs spreading them out through out the day? I am lean bulking and I see it both ways. Should help with insulin sensitivity, but by eating carbs all day should help keep glucose levels steady and in theory grow all day lol
I appreciate the feedback

Carbs don't build muscle, they're just protein sparing. Carbs are an energy source as well as being a nutrient transporter via insulin, so as long as you're getting in adequate amounts around your training, you'll be just fine.

I don't know what your current intake is, but if your total carbs are still pretty low, you may benefit from some timed refeeds, also.

Carbs don't build muscle, they're just protein sparing. Carbs are an energy source as well as being a nutrient transporter via insulin, so as long as you're getting in adequate amounts around your training, you'll be just fine.

I don't know what your current intake is, but if your total carbs are still pretty low, you may benefit from some timed refeeds, also.
There at 457g
I currently have 130 and breakfast and the rest are around my workout

I personally situate them around training first. 50g a couple hrs before (with protein and fat) , 50g during (with EAA) , 50g post (with Whey isolate) and 50g in a meal following.
That on top of 1.5g Protein and 1/2g fat per pound of body weight is what I've seen as a good starting place for most people. If that's not enough then I'll add in another 50g carb in a meal before training then slowly add in a little more food per meal to sneak up on the calories.

If you are thin you only need calories, good training and protein at all meals.

The idea of putting carbs at certain times is for people with experience in te sport who have a special training, diet and/or peds.

What's everyone's input on keeping carbs at breakfeast, pre, intra, and post only vs spreading them out through out the day? I am lean bulking and I see it both ways. Should help with insulin sensitivity, but by eating carbs all day should help keep glucose levels steady and in theory grow all day lol
I appreciate the feedback
That may or may not be enough for a bulk. If its working then fine. If not add some carbs to the meal after the PWO too.

For cutting I keep the carbs around workout. 25g Carbs with 25g protein preworkout shake. Then 50g carbs and 50g Protein Post workout shake. Then carbs with my next meal/dinner 25-50g depending on workout and my prior intake during the day. Late night snack no carbs. Breakfast and lunch no carbs when cutting.

Bulking I still keep the carbs around my workout but I add additional to all meals.

around training for sure

sometimes zero and low carb on off days, depending what im doing with my body. zero carbs can drain me at work if I go all day without carbs, then train after work. That said, recently ive been doing more low carb on days off and meals before work.

I’m currently keeping carbs in most meals. However most carbs come in the 2 meals post training. Carbs are around 300 a day fats are around 20.
I do like Chris Acetos ectomorph diet where you have 100 split pre and post only for 3 days with 400 carbs every 3rd for some people.
You just have to play with it and see.
I think calories and protein are more important than macros perse. I also don’t think too many people are really “carb sensitive” I think they just eat too much to begin with and blame getting fat on carbs.
im cutting and am using a low fat higher carb approach and this is the easiest cut I’ve ever had and am still able to progress weight and reps most weeks and staying full. For myself personally I hate low carb/keto which is what I always used in the past and always felt stringy, weak, and lost way too much muscle and generally felt anxious and shitty.

I also don’t think too many people are really “carb sensitive” I think they just eat too much to begin with and blame getting fat on carbs.

Is that carbohydrates make you eat more.

Its easier to gain weight/muscle with a moderate protein/high carb approach especially with the majority of them coming in your intra/post workout nutrition.

Actually I tend to eat more and have more cravings when carbs are low and fats are higher. Not to mention fats are 2.5 the calories.
with carbs I stay fuller longer and feel more satisfied. With low carbs I tend to over eat, look worse, and feel like death. I’ll never go the low carb or keto route again. Not to mention it screwed up my thyroid and my dr put me on T3 and T4. As soon as I got back on carbs my thyroid was normal again.

Actually I tend to eat more and have more cravings when carbs are low and fats are higher. Not to mention fats are 2.5 the calories.
with carbs I stay fuller longer and feel more satisfied. With low carbs I tend to over eat, look worse, and feel like death. I’ll never go the low carb or keto route again. Not to mention it screwed up my thyroid and my dr put me on T3 and T4. As soon as I got back on carbs my thyroid was normal again.

It just doesn't work for some, they never really adjust. For people it works for, though, it works great.

Some of you won’t like my answer but carbs timing is bullshit. I eat all my carbs at night when I work, I sleep in the morning, I train fasted and all that is done even when I’m preping for a show

That sounds like pseudoscience, bullshit.
Sounds like you have no idea what you’re talking about. This is exactly what happened to me. I have bloods to prove it. There have been studies that shows keto can stimulate thyroid malfunction. So honestly the only bullshit is your uneducated opinion.

I know this is broscience, but it sounds reasonable. It is very basic advice and you hear it all the time. Eat the majority of your carbs pre and post workout. Then scale them back the rest of the day.

Another broscience belief that sounds reasonable is that you can burn more fat if you do your cardio fasted.

I am not sure if there is any real science to back up these beliefs, but like I said, they seem to make sense.

If you want a great book on this IMO is Nutrient Timing by John Ivy PhD. I read it years ago and still one of my favs.

Beta Ona you are one of my favorite posters on this board now a days, me and you think a lot alike on a lot of things especially nutrition.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws