over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

cardio affecting recovery

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I'm sure we hav some guys who do a ton of cardio, not just when dieting but year around

Do you guys feel that doing a good amount of cardio (say 30 min every day) actually affects recovery from heavy training? With a low volume approach, or a high volume?

Me personally I have felt like a ton of cardio when cutting, low calorie, has contributed to fatigue, but not when bulking as Long as its not a ton of HIIT and the step mill.

Advantages of doing cardio even when bulking are health, allows you to keep lean, consume more food, increased blood flow, probably helps with insulin sensitivity

But I know some feel it hampers recovery, and if done when bulking, it should not be done post workout but done away from workouts. I haven't noticed any less progress when just doing it post-workout myself. Could be tricky for guys who use slin pre- or post-workout as you could go hypo or all the carbs may make an environment where its not really an ideal time to do it.

Overall thoughts>

Sure it does, just more tax on your CNS and body in general right? To what degree is obviously subjective with lots of variables but it 100% does affect your recovery, how could it not?

All I do is walk. One can hit peak beta oxidation while sparing muscle glycogen during moderate walking. Also low intensity muscular contraction flushes waste from the lymphatic system.

Swimming does not mess with my weight training. It actually has been helping a bit with my shoulder and ankle mobility.

Sure it does, just more tax on your CNS and body in general right? To what degree is obviously subjective with lots of variables but it 100% does affect your recovery, how could it not?

I do agree. The one factor I think that could make things a little more complex, in a diet or recomp (not when bulking because we are in such a surplus. If the cardio lets us take In say 300-500 additional calories per day, then that could help with energy and recovery, but like you said, the physical activity taxes the CNS so there is a tradeoff there too.

Cardio effects me mentally.......because I hate it.....low intensity, high intensity, doesn't matter. I hate cardio.

I think that a small amount, let's say 30 minutes, at a low intensity actually aids in
recovery and is good for you, will not 'hurt' you.

You get to pick the time and intensity that is right for you. No one size fits all here
I'm sorry to say.

Some folks get into great shape with cardio, some get into great shape without it.

But overall, I don't think it's not a bad thing as long as you keep the intensity low
and the duration such that it does not negatively effect your recovery ability.

Too much of anything is not good for you and when it comes to cardio for fat burning
purposes it is a fine line in my opinion.

Personally, I would do moderate cardio for health reasons and if it spills over into
getting you contest ready then it is a win win.

The last time I lost excess fat it was accomplished by noodling with my diet while
maintaining the same level of cardio. It's just easier for me that way because I don't
want to be a slave to cardio to keep the fat off.

I'm no bodybuilder trying to get in contest shape so hey . . . what do I know. I am a
buck sixty five soaking wet and not a lot of muscle and I'm going out for a hour and
a half walk later this afternoon (mostly because I like to walk and listen to podcasts)
and this is after 30 minutes on spin bike to get warmed up for a 50 minute total body
workout at 6am today.

Swimming does not mess with my weight training. It actually has been helping a bit with my shoulder and ankle mobility.
I ocean swim as much as i can ( with fins ) and i really did miss the pool at my old 24hr fitness gym. Swam 3-4x per week after training

I agree with your comment about HIIT . . . if done properly, that's like another workout and will obviously require additional time to recover. I've read that cycling won't affect with your leg recovery, but like other modes, it boils down to the frequency, intensity, and volume of your cardio.

I have to mix up cardio types in the same session sometimes, like 20min elliptical/20min recumbent bike. Hamstrings and hips are what take the hit the hardest. HIIT for me has to be done away from leg training and only if everything is feeling well recovered. I do cardio 4-6x per week. This is the only option for keeping my blood pressure in check without meds for me.

Two important types of cardio.
# 1 Cardio endurance and conditioning.
# 2 Fat loss. (Probably most important pre-contest)

Simple rules.
For endurance 75-85% of maximum heart rate. (Max is 220-your age for absolute Max)
For fat loss 55-65% of maximum heart rate.
Everyone is different you have to experiment a little.

I feel cardio is one of the most highly beneficial activities period. And underrated/dismissed activities with this lifestyle.

It doesn’t take much. It doesn’t have to be extreme. In my opinion it only helps unless it’s extreme.

I have to mix up cardio types in the same session sometimes, like 20min elliptical/20min recumbent bike. Hamstrings and hips are what take the hit the hardest. HIIT for me has to be done away from leg training and only if everything is feeling well recovered. I do cardio 4-6x per week. This is the only option for keeping my blood pressure in check without meds for me.
What's the difference in your BP with and without cardio?

I know it is lousy on the joints for bodybuilders, but just for general life preparedness I think we all should be at least able to run 1.5 miles without having to stop and walk (say sub 15 min to be very generous). It is 2020... You just never know when you might have to get away from something or to something quickly.

Swimming can also build muscle along with training if timed right. My next house will have a pool 100%

I know it is lousy on the joints for bodybuilders, but just for general life preparedness I think we all should be at least able to run 1.5 miles without having to stop and walk (say sub 15 min to be very generous). It is 2020... You just never know when you might have to get away from something or to something quickly.

Well said. That deserves a million likes, but here is 1 from me bro

LOL

This isn't even remotely true. We have the ability to adapt to great demands placed on our bodies and become STRONGER.

Adding cardio is the same way if done with a methodical approach (progressively increasing the stimulus).

We're not a snapshot of ourselves at any one point. We are constantly evolving and getting stronger and bigger and faster and better. Or, in some (most) people's cases they are not - they have placed limitations on themselves much like you have done in your post.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear