over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cardio during contest prep

Personally I have had to get up to 90-120 minutes. That is partly because I don't mind getting a bit husky in the offseason, and in the past I didn't have the mental discipline to get under 2k cals for an extended period. I start prep in a few weeks, so we will see what I end up having to do.

Is cardio necessary to lose body fat? I am going out on a limb and say no. We all probably know that. Easier ways? Yes and no . . . it depends, like most things in life.

So you get to pick your poison . . . burn the calories or avoid the calories.

Look back in time, say the 60’s, 70’s and onto the 80’s(?).

By and large, did they do heaps cardio or any cardio at all? I don’t think so. There were exceptions as one would expect but I don’t ever recall seeing a piece of cardio equipment in Golds or World gyms back 60’s and 70’s. Maybe yes, maybe no for the 80’s.

Some that were in the game back then please comment.

When did the contest cardio prep ‘fad’ really come into play?

We’re they more ‘ripped’ back then than now? In most cases no. We’re they smaller back then than now? In most cases yes. But I happen to like a bit of fullness over the extremes we we today.

Hours and hours on the treadmill to lose body fat? These are not ‘diet’ contests, they are bodybuilding contests, or at least they were. Thank the judges for that but that is a rant best served on another day.

Guys in the 60s, 70s and 80s weren't anywhere near the condition that guys today are in. Did anyone even have a glute striation back then? Lol.

Personally I have done 1h30m cardio as my max. Last few preps I have not had to go over 30-45 mins.

Guys in the 60s, 70s and 80s weren't anywhere near the condition that guys today are in. Did anyone even have a glute striation back then? Lol.
Agreed. But do you attribute that to cardio alone? I don’t. That was my point, as well disguised as it was.

Not picking on you.

Striated glutes? Could care less if I saw another one as long as I live. Have seen glutes like that while what remains is not in concert with. As I said, I prefer the fuller look of that bygone era but that is not what this thread is about.

A little cardio goes a long way if you are on all the right supps pre contest.

Like take 2-4 iu of GH/40-120 mcg Clen before your fasted cardio(30-40 min) and I feel you get a great benefit from that cardio session.

Also I do my injections in the morning before cardio. Then I get bloodflow in the body from the cardio and I just like the "feel" of that bloodflow after injecting X ml in my body.

Cardio for me is 5 x 30 offseason for health benefits and maxes at 5 x 60 in prep. Starts on incline treadmill and moves to stairs. Incline on treadmill and speed on stairs increases every session. Will usually pull down to 5 x 20-30 by 2 or 3 weeks out as I’ll be ready early and can cruise in. I do all cardio fasted as I think there’s a synergistic effect when using yohimbine, GH and clen.

Most people I know work up to 5-6x a week 60-90 minutes until peak week where it gets cut. Obviously this stuff varies drastically based on need though.

I like this approach. I'm not into competing, but of course I'm trying to keep (or get) my heart into better condition.
In the spring, summer, fall months, I love it because we do it outside. 1-hour walk per day, a fast-ish pace, hills all over, etc. Actually have to stop/rest a couple of times.
(Mainly for my back locking up, trying to improve that as well).

Indoor cardio, I try to get thru it. (When cold weather comes (right about now). Trying to at least do 3-4 sessions a week on treadmill at home. (30-mins).
Hopefully its just enough to maintain until nicer weather gets here in Spring. The treadmill and similar machines really bore the &*&* out of me...

People may talk about time duration of doing cardio
BUT it’s the way you do cardio also that can help in that way you pop muscles or bring about striations
I did mine back in the day were I would get striated glutes
And if we if you can striate glutes then the rest of the body is on point
ALSO don’t wear a diaper for trunks get ones that are cut so one can see the glutes
People who wear those diapers only prove they didn’t put in the work

People may talk about time duration of doing cardio
BUT it’s the way you do cardio also that can help in that way you pop muscles or bring about striations
I did mine back in the day were I would get striated glutes
And if we if you can striate glutes then the rest of the body is on point
ALSO don’t wear a diaper for trunks get ones that are cut so one can see the glutes
People who wear those diapers only prove they didn’t put in the work
John Meadows did basically nothing but walking outdoors for a lot of his contest preps where he got his most shredded. I don't really believe that being more intense or hardcore with cardio is particularly beneficial and can often be counter-productive.

Exactly . The level of conditioning now is unreal

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner