over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cardio for fat loss , what do you prefer

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
For those that do cardio for fat loss what is your preferred method??

I recently saw a video that Shelby Starns put out and he answered a question about cardio timing and that it didn't matter. Fasted , non fasted that it didn't matter , then I saw a video with John Meadows and a cardiologist and they explained that the body adapts to cardio and it becomes less effective as the body become more efficient..
I've always done fasted LISS cardio as it's easy to fit into my schedule than spending any 30-40 min in the gym in the evening.
It would seem that HIIT would burn more calories and that the body would have a much harder time adapting it would with LISS , but wouldn't HIIT fasted cause the body to use glycogen stores for fuel rather than tapping into fat stores.

What is your preferred method of adding in cardio for fat loss , or do you just prefer adjusting the diet

I greatly prefer LISS, usually post training due to my schedule, but if I can do it fasted in the AM that's what I'll do.

Typically I would rather adjust my diet rather than adding in cardio/more cardio, but that's just me.

There's a difference between fasted cardio enhanced and fasted cardio non-enhanced... HGH fasted cardio. Is something I love doing when trying to trim down. I do a shot of GH first thing in the morning then go on a 40 minute walk with a decent pace.

More recently because of blood pressure issues I've implemented jogs and sprints and it does seem to be providing some bp benefits. From a purely fat burning perspective without sacrificing glycogen/size. I believe GH fasted cardio, especially if you add something like yohimbine or a-yohombine or ECA or clen.

Losing fat has always been really easy for me.

In regards to doing cardio making you less responsive to it you just get more efficient at doing cardio thus allowing you to move faster/longer without tiring out as much. Your body still has to use glycogen stores fat cells and food, to fuel the movements you're doing.

I prefer 2-3 mile daily brisk walks. Not sure how effective it is for "cardio" but I do feel there is some fat burning benefits.

There's a difference between fasted cardio enhanced and fasted cardio non-enhanced... HGH fasted cardio. Is something I love doing when trying to trim down. I do a shot of GH first thing in the morning then go on a 40 minute walk with a decent pace.

More recently because of blood pressure issues I've implemented jogs and sprints and it does seem to be providing some bp benefits. From a purely fat burning perspective without sacrificing glycogen/size. I believe GH fasted cardio, especially if you add something like yohimbine or a-yohombine or ECA or clen.

Losing fat has always been really easy for me.

In regards to doing cardio making you less responsive to it you just get more efficient at doing cardio thus allowing you to move faster/longer without tiring out as much. Your body still has to use glycogen stores fat cells and food, to fuel the movements you're doing.

This.

I’ve done every type of cardio under the sun...AND all of them at different times of the day. Honestly, I never noticed a major difference in terms of fat loss.

realistically, it more has to do with your schedule and just getting it in.

i also think everyone responds differently and has personal preferences. I’m currently doing HIIT but in my offseason and I hugely prefer this over LiSS (and body composition has been way better). I mostly stick to LISS during a diet but I change the type of machine I use pretty frequently (every 4 weeks or so).

I only do cardio when dieting and in the initial rebound phase out of it. I do it postworkout and use an elliptical machine, though this year I did a good amount of cardio via walking loops around my neighborhood which includes 2 steep inclines. I only do steady state, my legs will suffer when dieting if I do HIIT.

If you're talking getting contest ready, you can't do it by just adjusting the diet. Even the genetic freaks need a little bit of cardio to get below 6%.

People need to put the energy they use overthinking how / when to do cardio into actually doing the cardio and they'll get the results they want.

I greatly prefer LISS, usually post training due to my schedule, but if I can do it fasted in the AM that's what I'll do.

Typically I would rather adjust my diet rather than adding in cardio/more cardio, but that's just me.
This ^^^

Doesn't matter when I do it. I only do it to HELP create a calorie deficit. I set a... steps in per day goal and use cardio(walking) to reach my goal. If I have a busy day at work on say midnight shift then I reach my step goal at work then no cardio for that day. If its an easy day at work or I'm off work then I do x amount of cardio/walking to get my goal steps in. After much experimenting I have found that THIS is what works best for me, it helps get me into shape fast.

Of course the step goal gradually increases as the diet go further along and the weight comes off/get leaner

I love cardio and don't mind doing it at all and i do it year round... have been doing it in the afternoons for a good bit now after years of fasted AM... Most here have said they didn't notice a difference on timing.... I, personally DO notice a difference.. fasted AM has been best for me.. now its not a HUGE difference but still..... GH and Synthetine... walking on a treadmill with the incline set to 15...40min = DICED

I used to be guy who did cardio every day, but I've decided I'll let my job (very physical, 20-30k steps a day, fast paced, heavy lifting etc) do the dirty work and I honestly haven't noticed any difference. I'll now do cardio during slower times or when I'm trying to dig deep into body fat. Keep in mind though that if you're not generally very active outside of the gym, you could probably benefit from a little cardio just from a heart health and body fat management standpoint; but if you're like me, thirty minutes to an hour of cardio on top of what I do every day ain't really doing shit and is basically a waste of time. When I do cardio, though, I'll initially like a combo of both high and low intensity, but as calories drop lower and recovery is worse, I find I can't really do HIIT if I still want to have good leg workouts. My legs don't really lose size much, but they lose lots of strength quickly on a diet and anything high intensity is going to make me drag ass the rest of the day.

This ^^^

Doesn't matter when I do it. I only do it to HELP create a calorie deficit. I set a... steps in per day goal and use cardio(walking) to reach my goal. If I have a busy day at work on say midnight shift then I reach my step goal at work then no cardio for that day. If its an easy day at work or I'm off work then I do x amount of cardio/walking to get my goal steps in. After much experimenting I have found that THIS is what works best for me, it helps get me into shape fast.

Of course the step goal gradually increases as the diet go further along and the weight comes off/get leaner
how many steps do you average

how many steps do you average
Work days - 15,000 to 23,000 depending on how the plant is running
Off days - 10,000 to 14,000 depending on how much stuff I do around the house (chores)

I've always done LISS/MISS on the treadmill: 10% incline, 3.3 mph pace. I barely sweat doing that anymore and switched to the recumbent bike. Enjoying it a lot more and getting more out of it.

I think your body adapts to your NEAT. I have a physical job and it does not keep or get me lean on its own. Most of my co-workers are all overweight.

I prefer low to moderate.
At as little as 10 minutes, HIIT in a caloric deficit affects my training and energy levels. I end up having way less steps and overall NEAT. THis is practice through 3 different preps and general dieting.
Early morning LISS or mod and my total daily expenditures are always much higher.

Also, my best lipid and inflammatory workups have been when my cardio is moderate and frequent. Also likely because my overall daily activity ends up being higher when I'm low to moderate.

Morning Liss Bike

Imo the cardio will eat muscle theory is pushed by people that dont want to do cardio justifying it in their own mind. All the health issues we see are more from overweight, lack of doing cardio than running an extra 600mg and "abusing " aas. At some point walking the dog became bodybuilding cardio and bp meds became part of the cycle. If this is the mindset I'd say health issues may be in the future.

Over the years I've worked to train more like an athlete, look more like an athlete than train and look like a bodybuilder. High aas, 6k calories, slow concentric training along with walking the dog for cardio imo is a recipe for some health problems. Find a way to get in some real cardio regularly, train explosive every now and then, play some basketball, good for longevity.

Greg Ducete has a interesting YT video on the b.s of fasted cardio, hiit, and all the other "better cardio".

I've always done LISS/MISS on the treadmill: 10% incline, 3.3 mph pace. I barely sweat doing that anymore and switched to the recumbent bike. Enjoying it a lot more and getting more out of it.

I think your body adapts to your NEAT. I have a physical job and it does not keep or get me lean on its own. Most of my co-workers are all overweight.
The CNS adapts quickly t a routine. When stating a new lift the amount of weight lifted goes up quick foe the first few workouts and the CNS learns to fire off better. I found the same effect with cardio decades ago. I change speeds angles and machines on occasion. even with HIIT.

I just started doing fasted cardio first thing every morning about 2 weeks ago. Im very interested in what results ill get being consistent for the next 4 weeks. I have never really stuck to a cardio routine or really done much cardio besides warming up on the treadmill on leg days and the 10 minute walks after some meals.
I am already noticing results. I'm thinking about incorporating the stair stepper or elliptical at some point , I tried the stairs stepper the other day and it kicked my ass after 10 minutes on moderate speed.
For the guys that work physically demanding jobs and get very few hours of sleep do you notice more fatigue when adding cardio on top of everything and do you think it is worth it sacrificing time you could be sleeping? Is it just Diminishing returns?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws