over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cardio for the sake of Cardiovascular Health

GreenEarth

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Question for those mainly pursuing cardio for the health benefits, not so much within a cutting or bulking perspective...

How many days a week do you do cardio, and for how long? Style of cardio, i.e. LISS or HIIT? I've always hated cardio, just been lifting weights (followed DC for a long time). I'm getting back into the swing of it...only done it for one week, and I did it 3 times (M W F), 10 minutes each session (jogging/running intervals every 2.5 minutes). I plan to increase time, it's just that my cardiovascular health has been neglected enough that those 10 minutes make me feel quite exhausted.

What do you gentlemen feel maintains cardiovascular health best? Speaking strictly in-gym here, I'm already trying to do more moving in everyday life to help ;)

Most people say low intensity is fine but I usually do medium to high intensity. I either jog, use the elliptical, or use the step mill at a high difficulty (most intense). 4 days a week for me. No science behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try 20mins a day. Intensity varies.

If I lift in the mornings (6am), then it is a fast walk on a treadmill afterwards.

If I am not lifting in the am, then I use my elliptical at home and push alot harder.

Just order an Airdyne! Going to try some interval training on that a few times a week.

g22

I avoided cardio for a long time but finally started adding in 10-20 minutes every session. It's paid off in my conditioning big time, in the weight room with short rests, better sexy time with the mrs

20 min low intensity (jog/ light run) or 10 min higher intensity if I'm short on time

I run 4-5 miles six days a week first thing in morning, around 4:30 AM. I've done this for over twenty years.

I recently had a CT Calcium heart scan of a 4. At 49 y/o I would believe that it has been a key player in my cardiovascular health. Along with a consistently clean diet.

I have a genetically high Lp(a), which can be a predictive marker of atherosclerosis.

I don't think that I would question if doing cardio is protective. It's been proven to be.
So, lace up your sneakers, and run Forrest. :D

I run 4-5 miles six days a week first thing in morning, around 4:30 AM. I've done this for over twenty years.

I recently had a CT Calcium heart scan of a 4. At 49 y/o I would believe that it has been a key player in my cardiovascular health. Along with a consistently clean diet.

I have a genetically high Lp(a), which can be a predictive marker of atherosclerosis.

I don't think that I would question if doing cardio is protective. It's been proven to be.

Did all that running stunt your muscle growth in any way?

What range do you keep your heart rate in when doing cardio ?

Did all that running stunt your muscle growth in any way?

I'm certain it did. In my mid twenties-early thirties I was concerned with trying to maintain as much muscle mass as possible, while doing cardio. Maintaining enough calories wasn't difficult. Just got old stuffing my face day in and day out for years. From my mid to late thirties up to now at soon to be 49, I've progressively lost muscle mass. Yet I'm fine with that, as I have a different outlook on my health than I did then.

What range do you keep your heart rate in when doing cardio ?

Ironic you ask, up until about a year ago I didn't focus on my target heart rate. I knew the importance of it, just never bothered.

I maintain 80-85% →135-145bpm for most of my cardio now. Prior to my CT Calcium score I had a stress test in which I hit 179 BPM for a mintue and a half at stage 5 or 19 minutes into it, which I believe is at a 20% incline? I could of went a little longer, my cardiologist said I could stop if I wanted to. I wasn't overly winded, definitely gasping tho.

I do incline walking on the treadmill. I put the incline all the way up and walk at 3 mph for 15 mins.

IT IS A KILLER!

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner