over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cardio on Zero Carbs/Keto

Sevn

Registered
I was wondering what type of cardio do you guys do when you're either on a keto diet or just completely carb and dietary fat depleted (ex. last stages of prep)

I've read Dave Palumbo stating that if you heart rates gets too high, carb becomes the preferred fuel of choice for the body and when you're on low/zero carb your body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs since fat cannot be changed into carbs.

He recommends staying under 120BPM, for me that's literally walking on no incline at 3.5mph.

My preffered choice of cardio is something like 5.0 incline at 4.0mph speed which puts me at 140-150hr, way above what he suggests.

What's your take on it guys and what for cardio do you guys do yourself when completely depleted.

I get to 170bpm according to the hand sensors when I do HIIT (not sure if accurate but machines are new).

I agree with you nothuman. Very few people truly push themselves when they do cardio. I get as high as 168bpm and my resting heart rate is in the 50s.

I agree with you nothuman. Very few people truly push themselves when they do cardio. I get as high as 168bpm and my resting heart rate is in the 50s.

Yea and I was going to say it's the resting heart rate that truly matters.

I get to 170bpm according to the hand sensors when I do HIIT (not sure if accurate but machines are new).

im 47 and hit 186 the other day. thats how u know yr doing it right. its called high intensity for a reason.
u can take ur pulse for 10 seconds x 6 and see if the machine's accurate.
highest i ever got was 210 back in my early 30s. i could maintain 180 for an hour. "weak heart" comment was just fuckin ignorance. some folks operate on a high rate, guys like lance armstrong are way lower.
my resting hr is 55 or so.

What kind of cardio machine are you guys using when checking your bp?

What kind of cardio machine are you guys using when checking your bp?

I use the handle bars on the Star Trac treadmill to measure mine, or sometimes just use my finger heart rate monitor.

Yea man when I get into my cardio I push it in early stages of prep before I got adapted to my cardio better and built more endurance I would get close to 170 doing interval cardio......I think if on No Carb diets honestly your life already sucks so just LISS Cardio would be best imo.

If you do cardio on keto, say medium intensity at 120bpm, do you bonk / hit the wall, as there’s no carbs to burn?

I use the calories per minute. I shoot for 10 per minute. Works for me.

Lower intensity on keto or really low carbs bc you burn your muscle glycogen stores up and have no glycogen to train weights

If you do cardio on keto, say medium intensity at 120bpm, do you bonk / hit the wall, as there’s no carbs to burn?

Nah, if I'm sufficiently running on fat and ketones as my primary fuel source, I actually have better endurance and stamina. If you're just starting keto, you might be a little lower energy and hit walls until your body makes the transition.

If you cant perform optimally on a keto or any diet..why would you do it? Do what WORKS...not what random dudes say work for them.

Keep cardiovascular intensity low when on a keto diet. You have limited glycogen storage that you are going to need for weight training or other high intensity endeavors. You are burning fat for fuel on a ketogenic diet so you want your cardio intensity where fat is the preferred source so keep your heart rate lower, I'm usually about 115 or 116 (with fat burners) which basically just amounts to walking the dog outside.

.... Guys elite speed and endurance athletes use keto year round.

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner