over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cardio or HIIT for fat loss

Are you taking in a decent amount of carbs? If so, HIIT works great. If you are going very low carb, HIIT is a recipe for muscle loss and exhaustion. Worked great for me at the beginning of prep until I started pulling carbs out, weight continued to drop but really didn't get any leaner and felt like shit. Switched to LISS and results were much better, though I will crank up the intensity a bit the day after a refeed to burn some of the glycogen.

Are you taking in a decent amount of carbs? If so, HIIT works great. If you are going very low carb, HIIT is a recipe for muscle loss and exhaustion. Worked great for me at the beginning of prep until I started pulling carbs out, weight continued to drop but really didn't get any leaner and felt like shit. Switched to LISS and results were much better, though I will crank up the intensity a bit the day after a refeed to burn some of the glycogen.

Studies have shown HIIT burns LESS muscle. I think people do HIIT incorrectly sometimes.

Personally experience is I like morning fasted cardio. I only do it for about 25 minutes, but main things is I drink liquid BCAAs/EAs before I start and then sip about 15 - 20 g BCAA during.

I also do HIIT, but usually it is in the evneing when I have a few meals in me. For me, fasted HIIT cardio just wears me down too much, so it is one or the other.

Of course, like anything else, try them both out and see which one you like. then do that for a while, but remember to keep switching it around to keep seeing results....

Fantastic read! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I competed I did the slow long cardio and tried to get my heart rate in the "fat burning" range. It worked well, but it was a daunting task. I am getting married in June and my fiance wants me to help her get leaner. I respect John Meadows and will be leaning more toward HIIT for both of us.

Yep.... and John Meadows even wrote an article about HIIT and the muscle preserving benefit: T NATION | Regular Cardio Will Make You Fat

Great article I read this when it first came out. What is your opinion on PWO cardio for someone who implements JM's peri-workout nutrition? Also, When doing an HIIT session on an off day would it beneficial to consume some type of intra drink with carbs for recovery purposes? I'm not sure he addresses this in the article but I may have to go back and re-read it to make sure.

^^^^ that just summed it up better than the article even.

Great article I read this when it first came out. What is your opinion on PWO cardio for someone who implements JM's peri-workout nutrition? Also, When doing an HIIT session on an off day would it beneficial to consume some type of intra drink with carbs for recovery purposes? I'm not sure he addresses this in the article but I may have to go back and re-read it to make sure.

I feel the post workout period is for recovery, but if that is the only time one can do cardio then go for it.

Having carbs while performing HIIT will not compromise the fat loss as the fat loss from HIIT mainly comes from the EPOC effect. However, I would not add in any extra carbs beyond what I would normally consume on an off day. If I was supposed to have x grams of carbs, I would not have X + y, where y represents additional carbs taken in during HIIT. HIIT does not break down muscle tissue like weight training and does not warrant a recovery drink like you would have during a weight training session

^^^^ that just summed it up better than the article even.

Very true, but also not particularly relevant to a typical bb'er. LISS is fine if kept to reasonable amounts. I could never understand why guys would do more than 2x 30 min sessions. If that is not getting it done, lower caloric intake.

The typical bb'er should not be training like an endurance athlete. Sprinting has an anabolic effect similar to weight training.

Last edited:
Whats ur guys favorite hiit workouts

I do HIIT two different ways depending on how much I need to lose and the time.

First way is basic progressive cardio: I warm up for 5-7 minutes and do sprints for 30 seconds followed by 60 seconds slow. I'll repeated that anywhere from 15 - 20 times. Then cool down. As my diet progresses and if fat loss stalls, I'll begin by increasing the duration of the sprints and reducing the time I am going slow. Do that for a week or so and, if needed, continue the process.

The second thing I do is more accelerated and works awesome.

Start: Warm up for 5-7minutes at a moderate pace

1) 5-10 minutes of short intervals. Do 10-20 seconds of max work capacity sprints then 30-40 seconds of recovery at low intensity. Do his on any machine, preferably a machine you don't normally use. You can build up to 15 minutes, but start low.

2) 20-40 minutes of low to moderate intensity cardio. Get your heart rate around 140BPM. Use a machine that is familiar to get your HR in the zone (above 140BPM)

3) 8-15 minutes of long intervals. Like 30 seconds max effort, 30 seconds low intensity, or 1 min hard, 1 min low. The longer the sprint, the longer the rest. Over time you can reduce the rest while simultaneously increasing the sprint, so you would sprint for a minute and go low intensity for 30 seconds. Choose any machine, it can be the same one you used in phase 2 or a different machine you are familiar with. SO in total, you'll be using at least two different machines.

4. 3-5 minute cooldown

As a variation, you can use things like kettlebell swings, jumping rope fast (if you are good) and battling ropes for intervals, but obviously, don't compromise training by doing those.

I feel the post workout period is for recovery, but if that is the only time one can do cardio then go for it.

Having carbs while performing HIIT will not compromise the fat loss as the fat loss from HIIT mainly comes from the EPOC effect. However, I would not add in any extra carbs beyond what I would normally consume on an off day. If I was supposed to have x grams of carbs, I would not have X + y, where y represents additional carbs taken in during HIIT. HIIT does not break down muscle tissue like weight training and does not warrant a recovery drink like you would have during a weight training session

thanks for your response!

Dr. Steven Masley speaks very highly of HIIT training, and actually recommends it to his patients. From an interview, he spoke of all the benefits of HIIT training, including all the benefits it has with regards to cardiovascular health. He did say that LISS training does have its place, and can be incorporated in a total fat loss program. I actually got the e version of his book yesterday the 30 day heart tune up, really looking forward to reading this book!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear