over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

cardio

1bigmofo

Registered
i have recently started doing my cardio pre workout after reading on here about the detriments of post work out cardio. It actually seems to work very well for me. 35 mins with heart rate around 135 then straight to workout, which i recently changed to lighter weights and more reps. Does anyone else do their cardio this way.

what are the detriments of post workout cardio?

:yeahthat:???

I always though you wanted to do cardio post weight training especialy if it was high intensity so that you had plenty glucose stored for your weight training

I always do cardio POST workout. That way workout uses up the glucose and the cardio will burn the fat as energy. Also, I wouldn't be worth a damn in my weight training session after 35 min of cardio.

Please explain the benefits to pre-workout cardio if there are any...

I do it post workout, reason being, (1)you use your glycogen for your weight training sessions(seeing how we are lifting to stimulate muscle growth via training intensly and we need energy in order to do so).:lightbulb:
(2) Now when your training is done then you perfom cardio, assuming you "killed it" in a glycogen depleted state therefore you burn more fat with your hear rate under 130bpm.:lightbulb:

Cardio can be detrimental after weight training "if" one was doing high intensity cardio sessions after lifting. This is due to your body primarily using glycogen for energy when heart rate is elevated past 130bpm. Sure youll burn more calories, but at the expense of hard earned muscle.:lightbulb:

You can surely do cardio before training if your heart desires and youll spare the muscle you think you will lose in the process but you prob wont have the energy to push it in the gym and be as intense which also wont "stimulate growth" as effectively as doing weights prior when your fresh.:lightbulb:

The only cardio I do pre workout is a good 5 to 10 min warm up. Come to think of it that's all the cardio I do total lol

i have always done it post too. but after reading comments by mountaindog, i decided to try something different. I'm not bulking, i'm just trying to maintain if not drop another % of BF. I have had a a lot of energy to finish my workout with good form and full muscle contraction. again, i am going lighter and with higher reps...1st. time.

I do it post workout, reason being, (1)you use your glycogen for your weight training sessions(seeing how we are lifting to stimulate muscle growth via training intensly and we need energy in order to do so).:lightbulb:
(2) Now when your training is done then you perfom cardio, assuming you "killed it" in a glycogen depleted state therefore you burn more fat with your hear rate under 130bpm.:lightbulb:

Cardio can be detrimental after weight training "if" one was doing high intensity cardio sessions after lifting. This is due to your body primarily using glycogen for energy when heart rate is elevated past 130bpm. Sure youll burn more calories, but at the expense of hard earned muscle.:lightbulb:

You can surely do cardio before training if your heart desires and youll spare the muscle you think you will lose in the process but you prob wont have the energy to push it in the gym and be as intense which also wont "stimulate growth" as effectively as doing weights prior when your fresh.:lightbulb:

pre workout cardio is a bad idea. You want to exert your energy into weight training and then use whatever you have left for cardio...OR do cardio on it's own on a different day

What type of cardio are you guys doing? High intensity or low?

I do low intensity (usually while sipping on my preworkout drink) for 30-45minutes, and have tons of energy for lifting. For me main reason to do it before is because I know after I am done blasting the weights I wont feel like doing cardio so this way it gets done.

If I were to do say 20 minutes high intensity i would probably do it after weight training.

What type of cardio are you guys doing? High intensity or low?

I do low intensity (usually while sipping on my preworkout drink) for 30-45minutes, and have tons of energy for lifting. For me main reason to do it before is because I know after I am done blasting the weights I wont feel like doing cardio so this way it gets done.

If I were to do say 20 minutes high intensity i would probably do it after weight training.

I have done post and pre cardio. At the end of training, i don't seem to have the energy for cardio, but, since i started pre cardio, i have plenty of energy to complete my cardio and get my full training session in too.

I like doing cardio pre workout. I'm not far from 40, and I've had my share of injuries over the years, so 30 mins on the elliptical at about 150 bpm is a good warm up for me.

5min. walking on the treadmill pre-workout helps if you've been sitting all day,
otherwise only post workout

Depending on the intensity of your cardio workout the first 20-30 (again just mentioning a number here) will be used burning the glycogen in your body before even starting to burn from your body itself. It logically would make more sense to put that extra energy and umph behind pushing your weights and then move to cardio afterwards and go right into burning calories from your body.

With that said though, my opinions over cardio in general have changed much over the last 2 years. After an injury I stopped cardio altogether and proceeded with just resistance training. I've have since dieted down below 10% several times without it, lowest was 7.8%. I'm obsessive about BF testing (BodPod and Dexa) and logs and my test records show I've had less overall muscle loss too without the cardio.

The only cardio I do pre workout is a good 5 to 10 min warm up. Come to think of it that's all the cardio I do total lol

Same with me bro! :D

One of MD's posts that I think he is referring to..

I know I am not doing your diet (and cardio goes with that)...lol...but I do not like post workout cardio. Weight training done intensely turns on mTOR which equals protein synthesis - the good guys....cardio (particularly excessive) turns on AMPK an enzyme that inhibits mTOR signaling..not good....you step on the gas with training, cardio slams on the brakes..

how much and how intense of cardio will do this...not 100 sure, but i would not do post workout cardio for this reason. Burn fat during other parts of the day, not around the time you are trying to tell your body to build muscle...

just a thought for my brothes here..

One of MD's posts that I think he is referring to..

I know I am not doing your diet (and cardio goes with that)...lol...but I do not like post workout cardio. Weight training done intensely turns on mTOR which equals protein synthesis - the good guys....cardio (particularly excessive) turns on AMPK an enzyme that inhibits mTOR signaling..not good....you step on the gas with training, cardio slams on the brakes..

how much and how intense of cardio will do this...not 100 sure, but i would not do post workout cardio for this reason. Burn fat during other parts of the day, not around the time you are trying to tell your body to build muscle...

just a thought for my brothes here..

Sounds to me like he is NOT advisinf preworkout cardio , just cardio other time or days other than post training.

I was told by a realy smart dude whos oppinion i hold in the highest reguard that doing 45-60 min fasted low intensity cardio in the am then again in the pm just before bed was a great way to lose fat especialy if you weight train at the 3-5 O'clock time frame
if you can shoot 2-4 iu HGH befroe each session it works even better.:p

Sounds to me like he is NOT advisinf preworkout cardio , just cardio other time or days other than post training.

I was told by a realy smart dude whos oppinion i hold in the highest reguard that doing 45-60 min fasted low intensity cardio in the am then again in the pm just before bed was a great way to lose fat especialy if you weight train at the 3-5 O'clock time frame
if you can shoot 2-4 iu HGH befroe each session it works even better.:p

Yeah..not advising pre-workout cardio but advising against post workout cardio. I only quoted MD's post as the OP said that he had heard about the detriments of post-workout cardio and then people started questioning where he heard it from.

My only cardio consists of my pre-workout warmup, and since I train in the morning, anything I do in the evening such as boxing or Aikido classes I count as cardio..even though it may not be intense enough to count as that! :eek:

Mountain dog writ a real good article about Post workout cardio, you guys may wanna read it...its quite interesting

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131