over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

career advise

im 30 now (i have a degree in exercise science which is useless, and even if it can be used, i really want something stable and i dont view fitness as this).

i have a chance to be a corrections officer, but the thought of working 3-11 every day in prison, i just think i will be a miserable person, who wouldnt be? i inverviewed there, the staff, the inmates, i just think it will make me miserable being around these types all day

i was thinking medical field? Im not looking to be rich, 40-50 k would be very nice. Are there any courses out there, jobs that dont take too many years training, where i could get a steady job as an x-ray tech, or nurse, something along those lines?

I just would rather be in a hospital around reaosnabl people, then inside a a dark prison.

Would also like a job where i can travel, say i want to move to teh west coash, a field i can find a job out there, would this be medical? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks, im horrible at this type of stuff and im 30 so i need to get my future planned out a little :(

I work in a mental hospital/prison... First months are rough... Then you get used to it.
Being big helps a lot to get respect from the patients... If you are a skinny wimp they will harass you all the time.. lol.

I will echo what many others here said about the medical field.

I went to nursing school after the Marine Corps at 25 and I was one of the younger ones in the class. I actually did most of my gen eds when I was in an ex phys program but left it for nursing for the same reasons you stated. Many nurses get into the profession as a second career.

With your undergrad degree you could find an accelerated BSN program and finish in 2 years or less. A BSN is not required but in this day in age gives you an advantage at many of the bigger academic medical centers.

Nursing has tons of pathways to move laterally if you want to mix it up every few years or find you don't like a particular field. I spent most of my time in an ED before a SICU now.

The money is good but you will work hard. There is usually weekends and holidays required in any position and sometimes the dreaded 7p-7a shift especially when you are new. But the ability to move around and move up with increased education is what drew me in. I have 2 years left in grad school for an NP program and am glad I took the advice of friends back then to get into the field because I never would have considered it otherwise.

Former Marine here as well. How's the work environment? Do you have to deal with a lot of work place drama? I've been thinking about getting into nursing. I've been working on a nutrition degree and was planning on becoming a RD. But now I feel this field is not for me. It always fairly competitive to get into the required internship we need. And its more limited than nursing.

Now with nursing it looks like I've already completed some of their required courses. So I shouldn't need too many classes to finish the degree. However, from I've read it seems like nursing can be pretty hard to get into. Did you need to do a lot of extracurricular's like volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Former Marine here as well. How's the work environment? Do you have to deal with a lot of work place drama? I've been thinking about getting into nursing. I've been working on a nutrition degree and was planning on becoming a RD. But now I feel this field is not for me. It always fairly competitive to get into the required internship we need. And its more limited than nursing.

Now with nursing it looks like I've already completed some of their required courses. So I shouldn't need too many classes to finish the degree. However, from I've read it seems like nursing can be pretty hard to get into. Did you need to do a lot of extracurricular's like volunteering, shadowing, etc.

I had no problem getting into any of the programs I applied to for undergrad or for my Family Nurse Practitioner grad program. School for me is not difficult. Sure I have to put the time and work in. But I enjoy it for the most part and it comes relatively easy for me.

There is certainly drama working with so many women lol. However I believe there is less drama in specialties that cater to the personality of a Marine. The ED and ICU are waaaay better than Peds or Med Surg. There are also far more guys in the ED and ICU than other specialties including a other Marines.

Nursing school was dramatic at times but not everyone has the mindset I do. Some people don't like the super sick or unpredictable. They like steady and routine which the ED and ICU certainly are not. Nursing school is such a broad, basic preparation.

All in all it is a very good field and I am glad I got into it for many of the reasons I previously mentioned. In hindsight I should have also considered pharmacy and PA careers as well. I would love to have gone to med school and sometimes wish I would have. If only for the challenge and to see if I could do it. However that requires a very long term commitment and focus. Nursing allows you to do it incrementally. Many BSN and MSN students are back in school while working and earning a good living at the bedside.

Look into Pharm and PA programs as well. 2 great healthcare careers that i did not consider and perhaps should have.

lol.. all these people getting paid bloated pensions and retirement benefits.

getting paid to not work.. sounds reaaaaally sustainable.

a city close to where I live paid a few of their police sgt.'s 250k a year...yep, just the sgt.'s ...not lieutenants, not captains.. anyways, city is now bankrupt, and everything is fucked up beyond all recognition.

ever wonder how the US has over 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities? well, now you know lol.. I guess get in while the getting is good, because the pain train is headed our way full speed, and the breaks are broken.

put all that money that you 'earned' by doing nothing into something that is adjusted for (hyper)inflation

I really love the way you think

same reason the auto industry is a disaster...they sold the BS fantasy of lifelong fully funded healthcare and pensions during an era when they knew no one would live long enough to claim it...then people started living longer ...then an ugly little thing called MATH crept up on them...pipedream over.

I have been in specialty automation most of my life and have been fortunate to make 6 figures since my early 30's. I am also stressed the FUCK out constantly due to being tied to the fluctuations in the MFG sector, without a doubt to do it over again I would go the healthcare route.

It depends on what you're looking to do and how long you wanna go back to school and what programs are near you. I would think about nursing for sure fast and you'll make decent money for sure, another choice is PTA, another 2 year program but you won't make as much as a nurse. Or you could try being a linemen.. Hard work but you can make tons tons of money, they have linemen training schools all across the U.S., while its not required for some company's a lot of places prefer you to have it. It's only around 6 months I believe

im 30 now (i have a degree in exercise science which is useless, and even if it can be used, i really want something stable and i dont view fitness as this).

i have a chance to be a corrections officer, but the thought of working 3-11 every day in prison, i just think i will be a miserable person, who wouldnt be? i inverviewed there, the staff, the inmates, i just think it will make me miserable being around these types all day

i was thinking medical field? Im not looking to be rich, 40-50 k would be very nice. Are there any courses out there, jobs that dont take too many years training, where i could get a steady job as an x-ray tech, or nurse, something along those lines?

I just would rather be in a hospital around reaosnabl people, then inside a a dark prison.

Would also like a job where i can travel, say i want to move to teh west coash, a field i can find a job out there, would this be medical? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks, im horrible at this type of stuff and im 30 so i need to get my future planned out a little :(

This isn't the answer you're looking for but I can see myself 16 years ago as I read this. Here it the best advice that I can offer. Think first about how you want to spend 80% of your waking life for the next 35 years. What are you interested in? What do you actually like to do? Do not chase the buck.

I've known many people who were always chasing the latest and greatest. It doesn't work in the end, at least not very well.

If you like Medicine, go into medicine but don't do it because you like the looks of the pay check. Same for Technology, Finance, Management, etc.

All these fields will pay well but ONLY IF YOU"RE GOOD at the job. If you are in it only for the paycheck, you will never be much more than mediocre.

Think about it.

Fire Service Bro.

Best job ever. You'll have to invest some time and money into tests, travel, and study materials but the jobs are out there for competitive people, especially if you're willing to move and take every test you can.

Don't get discouraged by long odds and early failures. It's a process.

There was an interesting thread on here about life as a corrections officer:
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...-prison-guards-corrections-officers-here.html

I second the recommendations for a career in nursing. They make good money and you will have more flexibility in your lifestyle in terms of days worked per week and where you want to live in the US versus other careers.

And I don't know if it matters to you, but one former male nurse told me that he used to get so much ass when he was working as a nurse in the hospital (what happens when you are one of the few males in a profession dominated by women -- some find it emasculating, others find it awesome).

And although it would be nice to find a job in a field that you loved, it's not always realistic. A job at a minimum should pay your bills and not make you hate your life. Contrary to the often repeated maxim that your work should make you happy, I think it's building a life outside of work is what makes you happy. At this stage of your life, I would shoot for a job that facilitates that process (enabling you to build a family, enjoy time with friends, or whatever it is that brings you happiness etc.) as opposed to the dream job where work doesn't feel like work and still pays bills.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws