over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

CAREER IN THE GYM

MikeS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member
Staff member
Registered
Ive been out of work since March due to a layoff, job I had for 10yrs. Not having much luck in my field (computers) and considering looking into employment opportunities at the gym. I composed a new resume yesterday making this my career objective. Although of course Ive been in gyms all my life, I have no formal experience in training or sales, although I worked retail
in a Customer Service dept for 2yrs. Needless to say I know more than most any trainer in a local gym, and Ive composed my resume impressively, IMO.

Folks with experience please apply these factors - salary expectations/satisfying situation - to each inquiry below:

-Which association or corporation (Ballys, Golds, Worlds, Raquetball-fitness centers...)?
-What position (sales or training)?
-Weekends required?
-Working at the gym you currently train in?

Dress for interviews?
First contact through phone OK, or best in person?

Anyone who owns or has connections with at gym in MD state, please PM me if you are able and willing to help!

Thanks, my friends!

You've got a pm.......

:D

I actually have managed more gyms than I can count in my early years and actually will hopefully be starting a smaller gym here in NJ in next year or so. It will be a small, VIP kind of gym where most clients will be pretty upscale and keeping the membership to around 100-150 members. Gyms are pretty easy to run. Just do following:

1. Listen to paying members.
2. Be as coureous as you can.
3. Make sure members are satisfied.
4. Don't look to be a millionaire off working in a gym.LOL

RY

You will do well my friend.

My suggestion is to overdress for your interview. This gives the impression that you're taking this opportunity seriously. People aren't going to think less of you for over-dressing, just the opposite! Now if you aren't dressed-up as much as they think you should be, they'll count that against you.

xcel

Mike...got ya covered bro, check your PM!

patk

NEver use the PHONE always come in nicely dressed to impress. It shows a lot when you come in dressed. Being a manager of a gym, that is the first thing I look at. One you did not call to see if we were hiring and two when you come in how are you dressed.

Steak, RY, Xcel, JB, especially PatK-thanks alot so far. This helps a ton so far.
Any more info or anything else is really appreciated too.

MikeS

I have to agree with Steak Helmet

If I were an owner of a gym i would rather see a person who is seeking employment come into my gym well dressed and groomed. irst impressions are everything and if a person comes in sloppy and not well kept, even though that person could be the best damn employee in the entire world, subconsciously I would think since he doesn't take pride in himself, he most likely doesn't take pride in his work. And as an owner of a business you always want your employees to take pride in thier work, otherwise you business will be half ass and end up not doing so well.

Also some people like to exaggerate thier resumes to make them look more impressive. I would avoid this becuase if the potential employer were to check out your references and most do, he finds out you have exaggerated or lied and thier goes all you r credibilty and then you have no chance of being hired.

Always look confident in yourself as well. keep good eye contact when talking to him, and shake his hand like man, no fish handshakes. A strong grasp sends a message you mean business.

But overall bro, just be confident in your abilites and i think you will come out on top. Good luck.

Maverick

All good points on presentation Mav, Steak and Xcel.
And Ry I definately will remember that list!
PatK is really coming through and I'll keep you guys updated.

Any extra info is appreciated.

thanks my friends-
MikeS

MIKE......I AM SURE YOU'LL DO WELL.

I CAN TELL YOU WHAT I SEE WHEN I GO TRAIN IN REAL GYMS COMPARED TO MY LIVING ROOM........PASSION FOR LIFING, AND ENTHUSIASM. INCIDENTLY.......I WAS OFFERED A JOB YESTERDAY BY THE OWNER OF THE GOLD'S GYM WHERE I LIFT DURING MY SUMMER BREAK. HE SAID I OBVIOUSLY KNOW WHAT I AM DOING, COULD MAKE AS A LIVING ........HE'D FEED ME CLIENTS.....BUT THE NUMBER ONE REASON WAS.BE CAUSE I AM ALWAYS SMILING, CHEERFUL, AND NICE TO PEOPLE. NOT BEING AN ARROGANT, SELF IMPORTANT ASS MEANS ALOT TO PEOPLE. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN COOL TO ME BOTH ON THE NET AND IN OUR PHONE CONVERSATIONS. YOU SEEM LIKE ON HECK OF A NICE GUY. SO UNLESS YOU ARE A MEAN, SCOWLING BASTARD IN PERSON. I'D SAY YOU ARE GOLDEN GIVEN YOUR KNOWLEDGE LEVEL! TEAR IT UP MIKE!:D

JETHRO-

Thanks for the compliments my friend. It could be your calling too!

Mike, you're gonna do great in the biz bro. Don't worry....we'll get ya all squared away and on your way to a new and enjoyable career. I talk to ya soon, take care buddy!

patk

So far so good, and Im grateful for everyone help. I'll post as things develop.

You will do great buddy

Mike,

I was unemployed since Feb. 2003 after 13 years in the same field and I finally landed in a new new career making more than double in salary and NO WEEKENDS.

Good Luck,
wedge

Wedge - Im hoping there is a silver lining for me as there was for you! Im glad things worked out for you. It is real tough-Ive had 2 jobs in 20yrs. Both times I got laid off in a big company downsizing after 10yrs. What a great society, huh? But I really have no interest in my former jobs-just a way to make money. Not that I hated them; but I heard a job in the gym is a great way to live! You can love your job and Im real excited to what the future can bring. I wait on a call today and hope to bring some good news soon. Thanks again for all your comments, friends!

Mike - Check your pm and or give me a call tonight.

patk

I have an interview at Monday 11am at a convenient Golds location. I will post outcome of that meeting, with thanks to those responsible and those who have helped, following the interview.
Wish me luck! :D

Interviewed today at a corporate Golds! Everything went great and the GM has to clear things with the Area mgr and I'll be in!
Will post as soon as I hear the word!!! :D

GOOD DEAL

Mike,

Fantastic, once you are in take the family out for dinner and just relax. 3 months off had me stir crazy & I know you must have had alot going on inside you. Keep us posted...

later, WEDGE

Best

If I can give you one peice of advice, goto the Thomas Plummer Membership sales school, it is an amazing course and will deffintely set you apart from the rest. I think you know to dress professionally and how to handle all of the small talk. I did membership sales at golds, and the best tip to close was a pic of me fat and bulking and a pic of me ripped. Hell I can help you out and send you the 2 and a letter frame it the letter will go, dear Mike, thank you so much for convincing me to join the gym and helping me on the path to losing weight. Use that to help close the deal, and make sure to ask them which package that want to sign up for many rookies forget to ask them to pick a membership and sign up.

Best of luck

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity