over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

carryover from planks, hypers. to deads

jamesjenkins

Newbies
For those more experienced than me.
Have been experimenting with ways to bring up my deadlift... have tried a lot in these 25 years training. Currently 170lbs, no drugs for 7 years . Trying to get. Deadlift back over 6.
Have added heavy planks up to 300lbs on back, and hypers with 250... have been doing for a month, .how much carryover can I really expect to my deadlift?

Curious how you load that much weight on your back for a plank. 600lb DL @170 is gnarly

I have a 250 pound person sit on my back and hold weight. I'm hoping this will carry over.

Using an Allen core wheel will help a lot! Planks are good if done correctly, reverse hypers, ghr (glute/ham raise), close stance low box squats, heavy DB rows.
Some of the carryover depends on if you pull conventional or sumo. Also, form is hugggeee. It doesn't matter how much you have on the reverse hyper if you are just using momentum and slinging the weight around. Can't tell you how many guys don't do it properly.

I pulled 672 at 198 when I was 23, so a decent puller.

My best pull was 570# at 148# when I was about 22. I miss those old days of powerlifting.

For those more experienced than me.
Have been experimenting with ways to bring up my deadlift... have tried a lot in these 25 years training. Currently 170lbs, no drugs for 7 years . Trying to get. Deadlift back over 6.
Have added heavy planks up to 300lbs on back, and hypers with 250... have been doing for a month, .how much carryover can I really expect to my deadlift?

I have never seen any research on this but carry over from one exercise to the other has to be VERY specific. For instance, carry over from extensions to squats is very low. Both of these however are using concentric contractions of the quads but squats are using the concentric contraction of the quads combined with a concentric contraction for the hams much like a pulley.

When we compare a plank to a deadlift you are comparing a static contraction in a completely different plane with a concentric contraction. That alone I am sure will have very little carry over to the deadlift. The principle of specificity says that sports training should be relevant and appropriate to the sport for which the individual is training in order to produce a training effect. In other words, to become better at a particular exercise or skill, you must perform that exercise or skill. So if you want to increase your deadlift, deadlift.

Also increase the muscular strength in the supporting muscles using the same contraction (concentric) and same or as close to as possible plane of motion. So arched back good mornings are excellent for increasing the deadlift. In fact, they can be done in place of the deadlift occasionally, using a 2-3RM.

Other exercise for increasing low back strength are heavy rack deadlifts (just below the knee), stiff leg deadlift or rubber band pull troughs. Rack deadlifts can be put in on in place of a regular deadlift day as well. Stiff leg deadlift can be used as more of a hypertrophy exercise along with rubber band pull troughs and hyper-extensions keeping the reps at 12.

Might even consider using a reverse band for deadlifts. This lets you explode from the bottom but the weight gets heavier as you lock it out.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131