over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Changes in the Bodybuilding Culture since the 80s

Upeccmi that sounds like a great time! You know Dante commented on camaraderie and possibly Hawkmoon as well. I started to address it in an earlier reply and then decided not to. Just like you said, we busted balls, goofed on each other, pushed each other and just had fun. It was the big gym family. We trained hard too but that camaraderie made it even more fun and I met a lot of cool, interesting people over the years, actually decades, and still maintain friendships with some of them. It was like the show Cheers, somebody walked in and the greetings and/or ball busting began...Oh man, good times! Like Dante said, social media has ruined the friendly fun feeling of it being a brotherhood. Guys get too hung up on themselves. Even a number of professional bodybuilders back then seemed like they were having fun and had a lot more personality.

Kevin Levrone took off after the '91Jr. Nats! From 2nd place there, to winning the Nationals later that year getting his pro card, to winning the Night of Champions the next year ('92) and taking 2nd in the Mr. Olympia that same year!! Unbelievable! In the Jr. Nats his hair was slicked back and he had a small pony tail. That look didn't last long. Here's a video of the '91 Jr. Nationals...

Upeccmi are you in that episode of American Muscle that you posted? Cameo Knuer, Cory Everson's sister was so pretty!!

In roughly '96 Achim Albrect moved to my area and trained at the same gym. We had some big guys in there but he set the bar! We were talking one day and I asked what his current weight was and he said, "295". Unbelievably huge!!

Thanks Bio for that video, reliving it is nice. I forgot Gerard Dente and Anthony Best were in that, guys I would go up against in NJ and see in the gyms from time to time.
Someone said the gyms in the 80s/early 90s was like the TV show Cheers...so true. My first gym was around 5000 sq ft but there was so much bro love in there.

Was Curtis Leffler a member of your gym? I used to read about his insane strength in the gym.

Big Barney! He had a shade of purple to his skin; hence the nickname.

Curtis was Vitor Belfort's strength and conditioning coach back in the day. He would freak a lot of the fighters out due to his insane vascularity in the gym.

Threads like this are my favorite and what makes this board #1. No comparison.

It is great to read all these stories. It is a welcome break from the endless other
posts; questions that have been asked and answered about a million times.

There is so much knowledge and experiences here from our members. And not just
training, and drugs, etc. It's the spirit and comrade of weightlifting / bodybuilding
that we share and have memories of. And if we don't write them down, share them,
time has a way of erasing them.

I have shared many of my experiences (I was a fly on the wall) but they are nothing
like hearing it from the men that were in the trenches fighting the good fight, making
friends and sometimes making enemies but all sharing the same goal.

And while I am certainly feeling a bit sentimental, the good old days and all that (and
someday these will be the good old days), please, lets keep this thread alive.

There are so many stories yet to shared. Thank you to all of you that have contributed.

Big Barney! He had a shade of purple to his skin; hence the nickname.

Curtis was Vitor Belfort's strength and conditioning coach back in the day. He would freak a lot of the fighters out due to his insane vascularity in the gym.
I remember! I recall him even cornering Vitor in one of the early UFCs or at least being in Vitor's entourage as he entered the Octagon. I remember when Vitor blew up (neck and traps were huge). Curtis also competed in one of the World's Strongest Man on ESPN back in the day. Also remember reading some incredible numbers he was capable of in the gym. Supposedly 315 incline for 30 or so reps. Don't know if it's true but he was supposedly a real freak. I believe it.

My first gym was Todd Smiths World Gym Omaha in the early 90’s. I was just a kid and when the “big guys” would be eating I’d sit and listen to them talk shots and Todd would catch me listening and take me over to a stair master and set the timer for like 45 minutes lol.

Threads like this are my favorite and what makes this board #1. No comparison.

It is great to read all these stories. It is a welcome break from the endless other
posts; questions that have been asked and answered about a million times.

There is so much knowledge and experiences here from our members. And not just
training, and drugs, etc. It's the spirit and comrade of weightlifting / bodybuilding
that we share and have memories of. And if we don't write them down, share them,
time has a way of erasing them.

I have shared many of my experiences (I was a fly on the wall) but they are nothing
like hearing it from the men that were in the trenches fighting the good fight, making
friends and sometimes making enemies but all sharing the same goal.

And while I am certainly feeling a bit sentimental, the good old days and all that (and
someday these will be the good old days), please, lets keep this thread alive.

There are so many stories yet to shared. Thank you to all of you that have contributed.

Exactly this. I find the true friends, the real friends I made during my BB years are some of the most long-lived and authentic.
Those I am no longer in touch with still bring a smile to my face when I recall their faces and hear their laughter in my memories.

I lived in Massachusetts, and started lifting after my junior year of high school in 1985, although I had been doing pushups and situps for a few years after being inspired by "Rocky" movies. I didn't know what I was doing, so at first I only had the confidence to do the stations on the Universal Machine (remember those?) at my school. But as a beaten-up, abused, nerdy kid, I wanted to be big and strong, so I watched the football players doing the bench press and squats and other free weight exercises, and little by little when the gym was quiet I would sneak over and try not to embarrass myself at those exercises.

Then before senior year, I went to K-Mart and bought my first 110 lb sand-filled plastic weight set, so I could lift at home in my parent's basement. At first I did every exercise I knew, every day...who ever heard of overtraining in the 1980's? But little by little I became friends with other kids into lifting weights, started reading the muscle magazines and watching the muscle TV programs on ESPN, and I started figuring out what to do, for better and for worse.

I remember the first time I went to GNC in Framingham, and bought a can of Metabolol II and some amino acid tablets. I thought I would blow up overnight and start looking like Gary Strydom! Unfortunately that never quite happened, but I kept on pushing the weights and eating everything in sight, and little by little I got bigger and stronger. I went from being an 155 lb high school senior to a 255 lb college senior, before ever touching steroids. Then of course I did my first cycle of Sustanon, that I bought from a female bodybuilder who later went on to win the New England NPC Championships. 500mg per week, and the magic really started to happen.

This was the 1980's and 1990's, so we all wanted to be Arnold or Stallone or Mike Tyson, but I was amazed by guys like Lee Haney, Shawn Ray, Rich Gaspari, Phil Hill, Mike Quinn, Lee Labrada, Berry DeMey. I remember going to the movies with friends and happening to see Ted Arcidi, who had recently set the world bench press record at 705 lbs. I was in awe of Ted then, but little did I know that years later in the mid-1990's I would be training partners with Ted when he was recovering from elbow surgery. Literally unbelievable strength. We all like to think we're big and strong, until you meet someone like that on a world champion level, who is so far beyond what the average person can do that its not even like we are the same species. Yet he picked me to be his training partner, so I must have doing alright for myself.

My first hardcore gym was Universe Gym in Lowell, a real dungeon in an old mill building, with pictures of champs like Jeff King on the walls, and used syringes in the trash cans LOL. Also Victor Terra's Paradise Gym in Hudson, and Vinnie Greco's Powerhouse Gym in Watertown. I remember competing as a heavyweight at the Mass State Championships in 1995, pumping up backstage, and seeing Paul DeMayo come walking in, there to support guys from his gym, slapping guys' backs and everybody wanting to talk to him. DeMayo had just done the Olympia the month before, and probably hadn't trained since, as he was looking smaller than expected. I remember somebody saying to his friend, "Man, I thought he was supposed to be huge," and his friend responding, "Well, he can't be huge all year round."

Went to seminars and met Mike Matarazzo, Vic Richards, Nasser El Sonbaty, and some promising young kid named Jay Cutler, along with other IFBB pro's. Worked for and trained with Paul Levesque up at Gold's Gym in Nashua, who became Triple H in the WWE (he used to be Terra Rizing on the local circuits up here.) Became a strip club bouncer and had a lot of fun with that, although ultimately it's an empty way of life.

This is turning into a book, and I have to get up in the morning. But there was a real camaraderie and a scene at that time. If you knew a guy, he could introduce you to another guy. Everything was local, there was no internet. It was its own little world, with its own heroes and villains, the hardcore dungeon gyms, the drugs being sold in the backs of gyms or Dunkin' Donuts parking lots at midnight, the contests and seminars and shows, and the perpetually tanned orange people in stringer T's and T-Michael tops out in the audience. It was all vanity, but it meant something and still means something to the people who were there and experienced it all.

God, how I miss it.

I lived in Massachusetts, and started lifting after my junior year of high school in 1985, although I had been doing pushups and situps for a few years after being inspired by "Rocky" movies. I didn't know what I was doing, so at first I only had the confidence to do the stations on the Universal Machine (remember those?) at my school. But as a beaten-up, abused, nerdy kid, I wanted to be big and strong, so I watched the football players doing the bench press and squats and other free weight exercises, and little by little when the gym was quiet I would sneak over and try not to embarrass myself at those exercises.

Then before senior year, I went to K-Mart and bought my first 110 lb sand-filled plastic weight set, so I could lift at home in my parent's basement. At first I did every exercise I knew, every day...who ever heard of overtraining in the 1980's? But little by little I became friends with other kids into lifting weights, started reading the muscle magazines and watching the muscle TV programs on ESPN, and I started figuring out what to do, for better and for worse.

I remember the first time I went to GNC in Framingham, and bought a can of Metabolol II and some amino acid tablets. I thought I would blow up overnight and start looking like Gary Strydom! Unfortunately that never quite happened, but I kept on pushing the weights and eating everything in sight, and little by little I got bigger and stronger. I went from being an 155 lb high school senior to a 255 lb college senior, before ever touching steroids. Then of course I did my first cycle of Sustanon, that I bought from a female bodybuilder who later went on to win the New England NPC Championships. 500mg per week, and the magic really started to happen.

This was the 1980's and 1990's, so we all wanted to be Arnold or Stallone or Mike Tyson, but I was amazed by guys like Lee Haney, Shawn Ray, Rich Gaspari, Phil Hill, Mike Quinn, Lee Labrada, Berry DeMey. I remember going to the movies with friends and happening to see Ted Arcidi, who had recently set the world bench press record at 705 lbs. I was in awe of Ted then, but little did I know that years later in the mid-1990's I would be training partners with Ted when he was recovering from elbow surgery. Literally unbelievable strength. We all like to think we're big and strong, until you meet someone like that on a world champion level, who is so far beyond what the average person can do that its not even like we are the same species. Yet he picked me to be his training partner, so I must have doing alright for myself.

My first hardcore gym was Universe Gym in Lowell, a real dungeon in an old mill building, with pictures of champs like Jeff King on the walls, and used syringes in the trash cans LOL. Also Victor Terra's Paradise Gym in Hudson, and Vinnie Greco's Powerhouse Gym in Watertown. I remember competing as a heavyweight at the Mass State Championships in 1995, pumping up backstage, and seeing Paul DeMayo come walking in, there to support guys from his gym, slapping guys' backs and everybody wanting to talk to him. DeMayo had just done the Olympia the month before, and probably hadn't trained since, as he was looking smaller than expected. I remember somebody saying to his friend, "Man, I thought he was supposed to be huge," and his friend responding, "Well, he can't be huge all year round."

Went to seminars and met Mike Matarazzo, Vic Richards, Nasser El Sonbaty, and some promising young kid named Jay Cutler, along with other IFBB pro's. Worked for and trained with Paul Levesque up at Gold's Gym in Nashua, who became Triple H in the WWE (he used to be Terra Rizing on the local circuits up here.) Became a strip club bouncer and had a lot of fun with that, although ultimately it's an empty way of life.

This is turning into a book, and I have to get up in the morning. But there was a real camaraderie and a scene at that time. If you knew a guy, he could introduce you to another guy. Everything was local, there was no internet. It was its own little world, with its own heroes and villains, the hardcore dungeon gyms, the drugs being sold in the backs of gyms or Dunkin' Donuts parking lots at midnight, the contests and seminars and shows, and the perpetually tanned orange people in stringer T's and T-Michael tops out in the audience. It was all vanity, but it meant something and still means something to the people who were there and experienced it all.

God, how I miss it.

This made me chuckle out loud

Amazing stuff! Thank you for sharing.

Whenever that book is done, I'm putting the first pre-order in

I remember! I recall him even cornering Vitor in one of the early UFCs or at least being in Vitor's entourage as he entered the Octagon. I remember when Vitor blew up (neck and traps were huge). Curtis also competed in one of the World's Strongest Man on ESPN back in the day. Also remember reading some incredible numbers he was capable of in the gym. Supposedly 315 incline for 30 or so reps. Don't know if it's true but he was supposedly a real freak. I believe it.

It was nuts, Vitor's head was connected directly to his traps, it's like he didn't have a neck. One of the few guys to fight at heavyweight, lhw and middle weight.

I did not know about Leffler's strength, that's pretty insane. He was a spectacle nonetheless, and a real nice guy according to many who knew him.

I just remembered the Flex Magazine Workout show. This was in the mid 90's if I remember correctly. I found a video and it's almost 2 hours long. Boyer Coe still had an impressive physique. I think Shawn Ray eventually took the show over solo at some point. In the video, the first episode is Boyer, Shawn, Nasser (RIP) and Daryl Stafford (RIP). Nasser is 310lbs in that episode! Next is Boyer, Shawn and Frank Zane. After that is Boyer, Frank Zane and Ed Corney (RIP). Ed is looking great and has to be in his mid 60's there. Next is Boyer, Shawn and Lenda Murray. Then Boyer and Jim Quinn. Then Boyer and JJ Marsh. After that it's Shawn and Jim Quinn. Back to Boyer and JJ Marsh. Then Boyer and Achim Albrecht.

Here's the Flex Magazine Workout show...

Here's a bodybuilding documentary from 1988 called Battle For Gold. I'm sure some of you have seen it but it's a fun documentary. Everybody is training hard, and having fun.

Here's the 1988 Mr. Olympia final pose down and awards.

Last edited:
Social Media and the internet has changed everything for the worst.

People use to have to talk to each other in person before. You had to have social skills to get anywhere. People back then found a common bond and helped each other.
Social media has taken a toll on the younger generation. They are soft with frail egos. They can’t take criticism. New divisions not they are bad but have inflated egos as well. If you didn’t win the USA’s or Nationals in the 80’s you werent turning pro. So now all the divisions gave a false sense of accomplishment. You knew who the pro’s were in the 80’s now everyone is a pro. Watered down the sport.

I was born in the 80s, so I don't have any first hand experience. However, what I really would have liked was the lack of internet shit talking going on we see now in facebook groups, internet forums, instagram comments, etc.

Hearing people verbally tear each other down online all the time is really really unfortunate. It takes away from the brotherhood aspect.

I just remembered the Flex Magazine Workout show. This was in the mid 90's if I remember correctly. I found a video and it's almost 2 hours long. Boyer Coe still had an impressive physique. I think Shawn Ray eventually took the show over solo at some point. In the video, the first episode is Boyer, Shawn, Nasser (RIP) and Daryl Stafford (RIP). Nasser is 310lbs in that episode! Next is Boyer, Shawn and Frank Zane. After that is Boyer, Frank Zane and Ed Corney (RIP). Ed is looking great and has to be in his mid 60's there. Next is Boyer, Shawn and Lenda Murray. Then Boyer and Jim Quinn. Then Boyer and JJ Marsh. After that it's Shawn and Jim Quinn. Back to Boyer and JJ Marsh. Then Boyer and Achim Albrecht.

Here's a bodybuilding documentary from 1988 called Battle For Gold. I'm sure some of you have seen it but it's a fun documentary. Everybody is training hard, and having fun.

I just watched way more of that Battle For Gold documentary that I intended to. It's so cool seeing how things used to be! I only heard stories about those guys but to see them living and breathing in that time is so awesome to me. I've only known the older Rich Gaspari so seeing him as a 25 year old here is surreal. Also funny listening to him talking about avoiding wheat/gluten when I didn't even know people heard of gluten 1988.

I joined my first gym in 1977. The world was a different place. Most lifters were not concerned with steroids. Most everybody was just there to get bigger and stronger. It was a shitty YMCA near the Hudson River. Everybody shaved their head in the summer and worked out like animals. No steroids. Everyone got bigger and stronger. No airconditioning. It was in a basement level. In the summer there was a fog from the sweat and the heat. There was a heavy bag in the middle hanging from a beam. It went all the time. No women. No spandex. Torn sweats and cut-off shirts. Then the world changed.

Speaking of changes . . .

This is a bit off topic but I think relevant as to how physiques have changed.

Having looked at more then my fair share of physique fotos over the course of my
lifetime and while it is undeniable that bodybuilders have gotten larger overall (see
the videos above) since then, the body part that seems to have grown / changed
more than any other is the rear delts. They seem to have exploded over the
ensuing years. It looks like everyone competing now has have very well developed
rear delts.

Is there some 'secret' exercise that I am missing? One that is being used now that
wasn't being used back then?

What am I missing?

Signed,
Just Curious

Speaking of changes . . .

This is a bit off topic but I think relevant as to how physiques have changed.

Having looked at more then my fair share of physique fotos over the course of my
lifetime and while it is undeniable that bodybuilders have gotten larger overall (see
the videos above) since then, the body part that seems to have grown / changed
more than any other is the rear delts. They seem to have exploded over the
ensuing years. It looks like everyone competing now has have very well developed
rear delts.

Is there some 'secret' exercise that I am missing? One that is being used now that
wasn't being used back then?

What am I missing?

Signed,
Just Curious

I think the emphasis might not have been on their development as much as modern day guys

The roundness of the delt from the rear comes from good rear delts, it's also evident in back shots. Guys started figuring this out, and also realizing that it's not a muscle you can load with a ton of weight. Reps, and contractions are key for their development.

I credit John Meadows's programs for making me realize this.

I'd also wager that Hamstring development has improved significantly in guys today as well, lot of guys with hanging split down the middle hams in side chest poses.

Just my 2 cents

P.S- guys shoot multiple ccs in their rear delts nowadays too lol

Great thread. I remember all those shows on TV and ESPN and lived for them. Pro's would hold seminars at gyms for a fee. Remember Rich Gaspari, Lee Haney and Shawn Ray held them at a hardcore gym I went to for awhile in Poughkeepsie, NY prior to moving (Mid-Hudson Bodybuidling and Fitness). Remember seeing them in person and being blown away by their size. I remember when the NY Pro was The Night of Champions and meeting Ronnie Coleman and Vince Taylor and being blown away. All the money I wasted on supplements: Cybergenics, Hot Stuff (not too much of a waste for a while because they actually had true PED's in them), tons of weight gainer shakes, metabolol II, vandyl sulfate, yohimbe, etc.

Definitely much more comradery back then and just a good feeling overall. You had your freaks (remember Bertil Fox?) but even the super huge guys still had appealing physiques. No distended stomachs, etc. Remember that time fondly.

Here's the Flex Magazine Workout show...

In the original post above I forgot to put the link to the Flex Magazine Workout show so I just added it in. Not a real workout but kind of cool to see those guys. Some are no longer with us.

In the original post above I forgot to put the link to the Flex Magazine Workout show so I just added it in. Not a real workout but kind of cool to see those guys. Some are no longer with us.

Yea i noticed that right off the bat....pretty darn scary looking thru that
Nasser dead (kidney failure and heart failure)
Boyer (alive but quadruple bypass)
Darryl Stafford dead heart attack
Ed Corney dead heart
JJ Marsh (alive but alot of heart problems)

Social Media and the internet has changed everything for the worst.

You are 100% correct. Of all the platforms, I wish Instagram would disappear the most. The more social media advances, the less social we become. That's why it's still good to have forums like this. In the early days of chat rooms, forums, ICQ, and MSN messenger; you could only send messages. The fact that the platform was limited to this was a good thing. If all you can do is message, then you engage with people and find yourself actually wanting to talk to people. I was in high school when ICQ and MSN were a big thing and I used to have 3 hour conversations with people. In that regard it actually brought people closer together. Then you'd see them the next day at school and you'd definitely have a better friendship.

Facebook was the beginning of the end. It started out okay with wall posts being similar to sending messages, but then likes and comments made it less interactive. ICQ required you to know that person's number and MSN their personal e-mail address. "Friend requests" on Facebook merely became notches on a belt. I deleted Facebook four years ago and I remember even when I had it thinking it was so ridiculous when people allegedly had hundreds or thousands of friends. Which brings us to Instagram: the least interactive and most shameful of them all. There's a lot of beautiful women on there. I like the way they look as much as you guys do, but have you ever stopped and thought that without Instagram these girls would be unclogging toilets in a Taco Bell? The whole fake famous, make money without earning or working doesn't sit well with me. I also just don't want to know what other people are doing, really. People shouldn't know what some guy ate for dinner in Argentina.

I'm ranting and don't want to derail the thread any further. My next post will be some pictures from an old 1990 Muscle & Fitness magazine my dad gave me years ago. It'll take some of you down memory lane.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws