over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Changes in the Bodybuilding Culture since the 80s

View attachment 140607

Anybody remember Chet Yorton?

He beat Arnold at the 66 Universe; I think his story was that he suffered a bad accident in high school, and picked up weight lifting as a form of rehab to recover from his injuries. I read about his passing last year.

Chet Yorton claimed to have never used steroids, and actually started the first drug-tested bodybuilding competition in 1975, the Natural Bodybuilders Association, as there was controversy even then between the "naturals" and the "muscle drug users." There's a good amount of information that gets into the politics of that in the second volume of Randy Roach's excellent "Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors."

Was he really a lifetime natural bodybuilder? Who knows for sure, and does it even matter? If he was, he was the last of the natural champions before all of us steroid users took over. But he lived a long, strong, and healthy life, and upheld those positive values as a role model to the public, which is all you can ask of a great champion.

Theoretically, that's what bodybuilding is supposed to be about. Health and fitness. Isn't it?

Or is it? ;-)

It's a long way from Chet Yorton to Roelly Winklaar, for better or for worse.

I feel like my era in the late 80s was the last era where BB was still socially accepted, we even had contests on network TV.
We were particularly flamboyant and a lot of people were "all in" with the lifestyle.

I think about how much has changed and wanted to share and see if any other old-timers could reflect on the past and where we are now.

Then:
  • Pink boatneck sweathshirts, T-Michael, and striped spandex - as everyday wear
  • Corvettes and Porsches; the Mustang 5.0 was the entry level BB car
  • Everyone was tanned all the time, salons more plentiful than gyms
  • Steroids were "sauce", "beans", or "juice"...and pharma was easy to get and lot of cops were on
  • Dan Duchaine was a legendary figure and source of all AAS knowledge
  • Carbs were just becoming fashionable, with lots of talk about "protein sparing"
  • Supplements sucked and powders all tasted awful. Metabolol II wasn't too bad, nor heavyweight gainer 900.
  • We had America Muscle Magazine (who I worked for) and other bodybuilding shows on ESPN (Kiana Tom, Rick Valente..)
  • No tattoos or beards, but plenty of mullets and gold chains
  • We were, for the most part, fun loving and goofballs with self-deprecatory humor
  • Drugs were mysterious and really were an after-thought, so long pre-Internet

Now: (?) younger guys please chime in ;)

all true,i used to talk to dan duchain all the time a nice guy I order my first deca and dball from the back of
the ultimate steriod handbook 1

Chet Yorton claimed to have never used steroids, and actually started the first drug-tested bodybuilding competition in 1975, the Natural Bodybuilders Association, as there was controversy even then between the "naturals" and the "muscle drug users." There's a good amount of information that gets into the politics of that in the second volume of Randy Roach's excellent "Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors."

Was he really a lifetime natural bodybuilder? Who knows for sure, and does it even matter? If he was, he was the last of the natural champions before all of us steroid users took over. But he lived a long, strong, and healthy life, and upheld those positive values as a role model to the public, which is all you can ask of a great champion.

Theoretically, that's what bodybuilding is supposed to be about. Health and fitness. Isn't it?

Or is it? ;-)

It's a long way from Chet Yorton to Roelly Winklaar, for better or for worse.

Two different species almost

Smilax, Boron, Cybergenics !! My papa said that and Laughed! I wish after seeing how much money these Mag owners made...OMG! The hair & clothes are the biggest change , lol! The striped, deep cut singlet can make me burst into Laughter! Seems like tanning was a lot more popular!

Max
1960-early 80’s had some of my favorite builds! 90-2000’s got outta hand, I think you have more choices now as far as training/nutritional/supp/Ped choices, not necessarily better at all, just my observations. The Girls’ outfits turn me on! Omg! Big hair, tan, thicker!!

**broken link removed**

Rich Gaspari with Sharon Bruneau, Marla Duncan (Ms Fitness) and Shelley Beattie.

Shelley Dated John Romano for a while and was American Gladiator, Siren in the 90's. Sadly she killed herself in 2008.

I used to see Marla Duncan from time to time at a bar/dance club. It was funny, she was Ms Fitness at the time and she was there drinking and smoking. Her husband at the time was an arrogant douche but she was nice.

Rich Gaspari with Sharon Bruneau, Marla Duncan (Ms Fitness) and Shelley Beattie.

Shelley Dated John Romano for a while and was American Gladiator, Siren in the 90's. Sadly she killed herself in 2008.

I used to see Marla Duncan from time to time at a bar/dance club. It was funny, she was Ms Fitness at the time and she was there drinking and smoking. Her husband at the time was an arrogant douche but she was nice.
Bio, I love the little anecdotes like these you guys are contributing to this thread.

I find them super interesting.

Rachel McLish the first ever Ms Olympia, 1980 and then again in '82. It wasn't long before the muscles started getting a little bigger and shortly there after the world was introduced to Bev Francis!

Rachel McLish the first ever Ms Olympia, 1980 and then again in '82. It wasn't long before the muscles started getting a little bigger and shortly there after the world was introduced to Bev Francis!
Yeah, I was going to mention Francis. Pretty sure she started out in power lifting, so she was had a powerful physique already.

Reactions: Bio

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke