over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cheapest sources of protein

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I'm looking to pay for graduate school and need to start saving some money. I know I could spend some time to crunch the numbers but I'm sure some of you have already did this and can provide some insight.

I'd assume chicken and liquid egg whites are the cheapest? Then beef liver, pork, with lean red meat being the most expensive? Any other cheap quality sources I may be missing? Not interested in whey because I have a huge appetite and whey does nothing for that.

For carbs I assume potatoes give us the most bang for the buck but need some variety there. Pasta atlesst for me isn't very filling lol.

Cans of tuna, wait for chicken to come on sale and buy in bulk, I regularly get boneless skinless for 1.57-.177 a pound about every 3rd week on sale and I buy a whole 50 lb case.

And rice will be your cheapest carb. Oats and grits too. Find one of those stores like winco or sprouts that has the secret yourself bins of flour and sugar and oats and shit and buy your rice there. You’ll pay like .48 cents a lb

Walmart chicken breast... $1.99/lb... Can't beat that...
I can definitely beat that. I buy these in 25-50 pound amount because they won’t be this cheap again for about 3 weeks

Attachments

• C0D72624-CF8C-4D41-A11F-ACB04EEE1BD1.png
    C0D72624-CF8C-4D41-A11F-ACB04EEE1BD1.png
    419.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 3EDC877C-88EE-4E58-9348-EB324188CEBA.png
    3EDC877C-88EE-4E58-9348-EB324188CEBA.png
    418.1 KB · Views: 50
cheaper, fattier chicken cuts like thighs, drumsticks, breasts with the skin and bone still on. you'll save a lot of money by buying stuff with the bone still in it but then doing a little work

cuts of pork can be very cheap, too. you can often find whole tenderloins on sale for next to nothing

red meat can be had for relatively cheap (depending what you call cheap), some cuts like top round steak are rather lean and are often on sale for $5/lb

cottage cheese is another one of my favorites, just have to find one you like

cheaper, fattier chicken cuts like thighs, drumsticks, breasts with the skin and bone still on. you'll save a lot of money by buying stuff with the bone still in it but then doing a little work

cuts of pork can be very cheap, too. you can often find whole tenderloins on sale for next to nothing

red meat can be had for relatively cheap (depending what you call cheap), some cuts like top round steak are rather lean and are often on sale for $5/lb

cottage cheese is another one of my favorites, just have to find one you like
I find London broil goes on sale near me for 2.99 a pound once or twice a month. I buy a ton and use it in the crockpot, grind it up for burgers, sliced and pound thin for breakfast steak. It’s pretty lean and versatile if you know how it use it

I guess it depends on your area and where you shop. I use a local chain so for me chicken breast, and ground turkey (80/20) ends up being the cheapest in the $2-3.5/lb range. I don't really think liquid egg whites and tuna are the cheapest unless you got some crazy hookup. I stick with whole eggs which are usually under $2 a dozen for me.

Carbs.
30-50lb bags of rice. You can get them at a asian supermarket if you have one nearby. Potatoes would probably be second cheapest. Then of course 10lb bags of oatmeal. Sometimes I also eat a lot of rice and beans to switch things up. You just need to pre-soak the beans the night before then you can you just cook a days worth of rice & beans in a rice cooker. Depending on your macros you can save a lot of money keeping the carbs higher.

Veggies.
Find yourself a local asian supermarket. I eat a lot of bok choy because its easy as hell to prep. I rinse them then cook them in boiling water for like a minute. You can prep and store a weeks worth easy in tupperware. Frozen veggies can work as well, sometimes it might even be cheaper then getting it fresh.

I guess it depends on your area and where you shop. I use a local chain so for me chicken breast, and ground turkey (80/20) ends up being the cheapest in the $2-3.5/lb range. I don't really think liquid egg whites and tuna are the cheapest unless you got some crazy hookup. I stick with whole eggs which are usually under $2 a dozen for me.

Carbs.
30-50lb bags of rice. You can get them at a asian supermarket if you have one nearby. Potatoes would probably be second cheapest. Then of course 10lb bags of oatmeal. Sometimes I also eat a lot of rice and beans to switch things up. You just need to pre-soak the beans the night before then you can you just cook a days worth of rice & beans in a rice cooker. Depending on your macros you can save a lot of money keeping the carbs higher.

Veggies.
Find yourself a local asian supermarket. I eat a lot of bok choy because its easy as hell to prep. I rinse them then cook them in boiling water for like a minute. You can prep and store a weeks worth easy in tupperware. Frozen veggies can work as well, sometimes it might even be cheaper then getting it fresh.
Store brand tuna cans are never more than .59 cents a piece. Probably not the best protein source, but beside protein powder how do you get 25 plus grams of protein for cheaper than that? I ate two cans chunk lite, with 1/2 cup cottage cheese and chopped pickles and mustard for lunch every single day at work for like 9 years. This is 65ish grams of protein in this meal and costs less than 1.50

Store brand tuna cans are never more than .59 cents a piece. Probably not the best protein source, but beside protein powder how do you get 25 plus grams of protein for cheaper than that? I ate two cans chunk lite, with 1/2 cup cottage cheese and chopped pickles and mustard for lunch every single day at work for like 9 years. This is 65ish grams of protein in this meal and costs less than 1.50
mix the cottage cheese with tuna? never tried that, I hate plain tuna, have used soy sauce on it ha

mix the cottage cheese with tuna? never tried that, I hate plain tuna, have used soy sauce on it ha
Yes. I use it in place of Mayo to make tuna salad. It adds a lot of protein and if you’re dieting you can use low or no fat. You’ll never know the difference texture wise. I always add pickles and mustard. Sometimes hot sauce, lemon pepper, etc.

Frozen chicken and I agree with the cheap steaks. Get your self a manual meat tenderizer machine and run it through in every direction. Can do with the chicken too

But mayonnaise In it for tuna salad isn’t gross?
You want chunky white cream in your mouth or smooth lol. No I'm sure it's fine. Never tried it. You ever make seared tuna salad! Now that's good. Also Salmond salad is good

You want chunky white cream in your mouth or smooth lol. No I'm sure it's fine. Never tried it. You ever make seared tuna salad! Now that's good. Also Salmond salad is good
The tuna is chunky, I promise you you can’t tell it’s in there. I’ve eaten this meal at least 3000 plus times. But to each his own. It’s not for everyone. But ya man I loved seared tuna salad. Had some bomb smoked wahoo spread in Florida recently too

Check your area for a wholesale meat company. Most allow walk in but don't advertise it because the majority of their business is with restaurants. That said, meat prices are way up!

Check your area for a wholesale meat company. Most allow walk in but don't advertise it because the majority of their business is with restaurants. That said, meat prices are way up!
And buy a cheap meat grinder and grind yourself own beef from cheaper cuts. I find eye of round for 2.37 every so often and grind up a bunch of burger meat

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws