advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cheat/Refeed Meals/Days benefits when enhanced?

goonstopher

Registered
Was reading the think tank thread on cheat or refeed days/meals and it got me thinking back to the science behind them.

My understanding was that we did them for (in give or take descending order of importance (most-least but clearly debatable and personally varied):

1. Metabolism / Thyroid upregulation or reset
2. Muscle loss prevention via glycogen replenishment and associated strength maintenance or gains
2b. Leptin replenishment - I believe for appetite control (know Lyle McDonald was big on this but I need to refresh my reading on this subject)
4. Mental sanity (closely related to appetite/leptin).

My question/topic is:
Are refeeds needed as often for someone on T3 since the thyroid benefit isn't as important?

I would say yes.
You still can take advantage of insulin sensitivity. Not too mention as the system is a lot more complex than simply dealing with t3. t3 is part of the equation but not the only piece of that puzzle.

I would say yes.
You still can take advantage of insulin sensitivity. Not too mention as the system is a lot more complex than simply dealing with t3. t3 is part of the equation but not the only piece of that puzzle.

Completely agree. Leptin is the big factor hear. It's responsiblefor a lot more than just apputute Control, its basicly its the hormone that tells your body its ok to burn energy. Also improved energy and more intense workouts for a few days after cheat and probably the most important factor in my eyes is the anti catabolic/anabolic effect which in the long term is going to make a bigger leaner you. I prefer to keep carbs up at 300 ed all the way through a cut and just strip fats and add cardio as things slow down which seems to remove the need for cheats for me as leptin stays high and muscle retention and workout intensity real good even on cruise doses. I can get pretty damn lean doing this. With this approach cheat meals do set me back without a doubt though so they have to go. An occasional extra 100 gram of rice on leg day helps towards the end but that's more for recovery than metabolism. On a lower carb diet cheat meals are ridiculously effective for me but I can't live my life feeling like death 6 days a week counting down the days until I get a good meal and feel human for about 24 hours.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I would say yes.

Thanks to both of you.

I am a bit out of practice and starting back after 3 years off so hoping to gain muscle while losing fat during this peak anabolic period of being a "beginner" again. Fat loss is the primary goal though.

For me carbs need to be low. Only time I got shredded was on CKD but not interested in anymore.

To me the big thing you are trying to avoid falling into is homeostasis, once you're there man its tough to get your body to do a whole lot, especially when it comes to fat burning.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131