over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cheating on your diet

Alex A

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
How often and why.... the why part is a dumb question.. but i love hearing about peoples cheat sessions...::eek:od-smil

Personally I really like to avoid cheating on my diet unless i really feel the craving to do so and its really earned .. Sometimes its weeks.. sometimes longer..

I really think structured cheat meals can be beneficial...but can also be a huge setback if your not careful.. Years ago when i started competing.. I would have some major binge sessions that were out of control.. Almost addicting too.. I really dont advocate that.. People that work with me know that they are eating good food all through the diet and eating their calories.. not drinking them.. So there is no major problem sticking to a long diet..

I also structure all my training ( cardio and lifting) around meals so that i reward myself with food ... This really works

What is your opinion on careful? you say beneficial, but potentially a setback if not careful?
I know I have gotten out of control with mine, but I have never removed them from any prep.
Also fully aware that it is going to be individual with amounts and timing, but in general what is too much? What macros do you think are the most overused that cause it to be detrimental? My last prep I only cheated with carbs and very low fat, just to try something different, but in all others fair game for everything.
-c

I think its important to understand cravings. And secondly theres almost ALWAYS an alternative to a full blown cheat meal that can satisfy the cravings for junk. E.G. im allowed bananas and LBA's n my diet so with the new LBA's having a consistancy and flavor of hersheys chocolate syrup, that on a banana really crushes a craving for something sweet. When i get the carb cravings i find a bit of White Rice really helps out. When Phil got my Macro's to where theyre at today, using the foods we use i notice my cravings for junk or cheat meals drastically decreased. I also dont get lethargic or bloated by sticking to certain foods.

To me, a "treat" meal is very different than a "cheat" meal. A Cheat meal implies the meal isn't planned or part of the diet, while a Treat meal implies the meal is planned and is part of the diet.

I've always had treat meals built into my prep. But I wonder if I could've been better without them? This is the first year I'm going to prep without any treat/cheat meals. :eek: I'm scared! :D

What is your opinion on careful? you say beneficial, but potentially a setback if not careful?
I know I have gotten out of control with mine, but I have never removed them from any prep.
Also fully aware that it is going to be individual with amounts and timing, but in general what is too much? What macros do you think are the most overused that cause it to be detrimental? My last prep I only cheated with carbs and very low fat, just to try something different, but in all others fair game for everything.
-c

What i mean by carefull is you dont go overboard... its easy to get out of control and just figure... ok.. im cheating.. .so screw it.. and go crazy eating out of control too much.....

I have done it.. but never preparing for a show...

Personally i think that when your doing a strict contest prep you should avoid it all together unless your ahead of pace and trying to slow things down... Then there is really a purpose..

I like the idea of a treat meal instead of cheat meal.. but I just dont have it in me to budge on my preps .. thats just me ..

i like the way you word that treat, instead of cheat. excellent
-c

Man for the first few years of serious dieting, I would live for my next cheat. I train under Phil so I stay pretty lean. In the last year, I have not craved major cheats or "bad" food anymore. I even find it odd, lol. I do crave saturated fats and fatty meats from time to time, but I think some of that has its place in a diet, as long as you dont go ape and eat 3 days worth.

Bro is there such a cheat meal called good cheat meal and bad cheat meal? We all know what a bad cheat meal is but good cheat meal for example Chicken kebabs made from wholemeal pita bread with tabouli, hummous, tomato etc no cheese and chilli sauce, would that classified as a bad cheat meal? What is your definition of a cheat meal?

Appreciated your advice!

Bro is there such a cheat meal called good cheat meal and bad cheat meal? We all know what a bad cheat meal is but good cheat meal for example Chicken kebabs made from wholemeal pita bread with tabouli, hummous, tomato etc no cheese and chilli sauce, would that classified as a bad cheat meal? What is your definition of a cheat meal?

Appreciated your advice!

Hey adam.. For an off season diet.. i would not consider that cheat food.. Humus for example taste so damn good but its got quite a bit of fat... Tabouli is another story though...
but for contest prep .. i kinda consider anything that is not on your day to day diet.. a cheat.. I really find that once you start justifying stuff that isnt on your diet plan, your going to continue to find alternatives to your boring day to day food.. And for a contest prep.. that is not good..

But what i consider cheating is stuff like sweats, candy , burgers.. stuff like that.. stuff you have really deprived yourself for a long period of time...

Ness: thats good that you got the cravings out of your system..

I dont know if you have kids but.. kids make it a lot tougher...

With holidays here there are even more distractions...
For myself its either all or nothing.. Im going to stick to my day to day foods or im not.. And competing has really kept me on course during the off season time. Like Ness.. i used to live for the cheat meals...

I Try to time all my workouts around my meals so i reward myself with my favorite meals after training..... and that seems to do the trick...

During contest prep.. i do my cardio in the morning and immediately after cardio i have oatmeal with splenda...

After training i have red meat and rice... and that seems to be a good reward for me.. I really load up on diet sodas, crystal light and black coffee.. Cafeine really seems to really help me..

Last edited:
when I cut, I only have a cheat meal if I am forced to basically (going out to restaurants or having someone cook for me). When I am by myself, I always stick to my diet.

When I bulk (on cycle), however, I typically eat clean but I cheat often, as long as my daily macro totals equal what they would if I ate 100% clean that day. So in other words, clean or dirty, my daily totals are the same. Just last week I ate mcdonalds 3 times. Because of that, I didn't eat any whole eggs or peanut butter that day because I hit my daily fats with that one meal.

You seem to take this seriously........you are on a lot of the AAS threads here.......syntherol threads........what level do you compete at??

Very hungry for knowledge. enjoy PM, all threads really, and don't discriminate against reading unless it is about a tv program or something not related to bodybuilding. i can get that somewhere else. compete in the NPC, recently had the pleasure, or displeasure b/c he sent me home with my tail btwn my legs, of sharing the stage w/ johnny smiles. used to be in M.Mania, among others and after it stopped fulfilling the need, I jumped in with the big boys. So now my goal is to be a big boy
-c

actually now that i think about it, we didn't share the stage, he kind of owned it, and I was just there :(

I just try to stick to my diet each and every day, but if I want something, I have it. I guess everybody's cravings for "cheat meals" and the frequency in which they are consumed is different though. When I really try to cut down, I clamp down though.

For the sake fo the matter, I don't compete either.

BMJ

Treat meal, not a cheat meal. That's good, you coin that yourself?

I use to live for cheat meals and go on binges. Now I have to search and run through my head all the places I would want to go to eat at for this cheat meal. The bad news is that 9 times of out of 10, NOTHING appeals to me so I don't cheat. :(

Somewhat like you, I structure all my meals around my training; I treat food as fuel, nothing more. Everything I eat is whole food and I can pronounce everything in it. ;)

I do however have a lot of dinner type functions I attend during the month and work those into my diet if I have to eat "normal". Although, most people at these dinners know me, so I don't feel pretentious when sticking to my diet while eating out. Rarely do I ever drink anything other than water; no coffee, alcohol, or diet anything. It has been this way for over a year now. I gave up chew this past July and more recently broke up with mary jane, but nothing is going to stop me from shopping at La Casa del Habano...

Ever since I adapted this way of eating, I have seen better results with my body and overall simply just 'feel better' all the time.

I have found many people turn a cheat meal into a cheat day. That will kill a meal plan. So, a person makes progress 6 days then takes a big step backwards from a cheat day.

I prefer to call it a "Reward meal" just a higher calorie meal blended into your day of meals. Sure have a treat of a different food choice then the day in day out diet.

Reward Meal is for doing a great job sticking to your meal plan, cardio and training program. Nothing about if has to be considered a negtive like cheating. Just my opinion.

I like all the posts here guys... the previous post really stands out..

i like the idea of reward meal..

I really think this is the route we should all take here..

I eat junk food and drink soda everyday on my cutting diets and I have no problem losing fat cause if you end up under maintenance calories at the end of the day, your body can't do anything but lose fat.

And I think doing a cheat day would be far more beneficial that doing a cheat meal. One cheat meal will do absolutely nothing for boosting up your leptin levels which plays the biggest part in metabolism slow down and fat loss slow down for when you go for weeks of low to very low calories.

I eat junk food and drink soda everyday on my cutting diets and I have no problem losing fat cause if you end up under maintenance calories at the end of the day, your body can't do anything but lose fat.

And I think doing a cheat day would be far more beneficial that doing a cheat meal. One cheat meal will do absolutely nothing for boosting up your leptin levels which plays the biggest part in metabolism slow down and fat loss slow down for when you go for weeks of low to very low calories.

I dont run my diets low in calories.. especially replacing whole foods with junk and soda... :(

Last edited:
i only do it on dates. otherwise, the post-cheat guilt far outweighs the niceness of a cheat meal lol.....still beating myself up over new years and the day after.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131