over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chest and Delts trained together

RoidRage300

Registered
Seems a decent amount of ppl train these together. But I feel as tho my delts don't get hit as hard when trained after chest. And I wouldn't want to train delts first, as chest is my weak point

Id like to train them together, for time constraint reasons. And I'm just looking for a new training split, a bit easier on the joints, and 3-4 days a week, still producing maximum growth.

Training is done after long days at work, of physical labor. My current 5 day split seems to be breaking me down too much, and takes time away from the home.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm thinking

Flat bench
Inc bench
Db flys
Military press
Lateral raises

3-4 sets each, 12-25 reps a set

But that doesn't seem like enough for delts. Tho my front delts are shot after chest, I also train rear delts with my back

Maybe I'm getting to caught up in my shoulder pressing numbers being lower than if trained separately.

My main concern is hitting the medial deltoid head fully

Are you having a conversation with yourself? Lol

Incline movements hit your delts....and chest. Your medial head work should be hit with laterals and uprights anyways. The point of training these together is also the fact you can train them more frequently/ twice a week.
Your 2nd day can focus more on delts and you can ever do a delt press first - before hitting chest.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Seated DB/smith shoulder press
Incline BP
Flat DB press super setted with pressups ( use DBS so your hands are off the ground )
Side raises super setted with front raises
Cable flies

Do rear delts with back

I would really suggest doing chest first most of the time. The only time it makes sense to do shoulders first is if your chest workout doesn't involve much or any pressing and your shoulder workout does.

Otherwise, press heavy doing chest first and get some of your shoulder work taken care of/primed/activated that way. Then you'll need minimal pressing for delts afterwards. Think 2 presses chest, 1 press delts for example.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

Anyone else have input ?

And yea I was having a convo with myself. Sometimes seeing it typed out helps lol

I would really suggest doing chest first most of the time. The only time it makes sense to do shoulders first is if your chest workout doesn't involve much or any pressing and your shoulder workout does.

Otherwise, press heavy doing chest first and get some of your shoulder work taken care of/primed/activated that way. Then you'll need minimal pressing for delts afterwards. Think 2 presses chest, 1 press delts for example.

You rarely see anyone that has a good chest have weak front delts. I agree with your fist suggestion of uprights and laterals.

I stopped training delts directly. They get plenty of stimulation from chest and back workouts. Haven't seen any decrease in delt size since I started doing this last year.

I'm thinking

Flat bench
Inc bench
Db flys
Military press
Lateral raises

3-4 sets each, 12-25 reps a set

But that doesn't seem like enough for delts. Tho my front delts are shot after chest, I also train rear delts with my back

The routine you noted here should easily provide you with enough stimulation for chest/delt growth. Delts and chest are my stongest points, so I would only hit them directly once a week when doing a bb routine. All you can do is try it and see if provides the results you're after.

Last edited:
The way you lift the weight is just (or even more) as important as the exercise itself.

You could do something like this on 2 separate days per week...

Day 1

Warm up
Decline Press... Going heavy but 10 rep heavy
Chest Dips.. heavy again
Military press... going up to max weight for 15-20 reps
Lateral Raises (high reps)... using cables at times too

Day 2

Warm up
DB Lateral and Front Raises... warm up slowly but going heavy but 10 rep heavy... really push the intensity and make sure form is 100%
Incline DB Press
Pec Deck or DB flyes

Do you do shrugs on back day? You could add them in on day 2 at the start and take away the front raises.

Just a few suggestions but I think the way you lift the weight is most important.

Last edited:
I was big on keeping these two things separate until I started working with Meadows. Since working with John I've done chest/shoulders together 2x per week and it has greatly benefited my chest size and shoulder roundness. .

I was big on keeping these two things separate until I started working with Meadows. Since working with John I've done chest/shoulders together 2x per week and it has greatly benefited my chest size and shoulder roundness. .

Yep, I really caught onto this a bit before it was widely known JM advocated this..but his philosophies helped me fine-tune it and bolster my thought process behind setting up the exercises. It just makes perfect sense. Instead of training delts and chest on separate days during the week...and trying to space them out enough so they don't interfere with the recovery of the other, it's impossible to add an extra chest or shoulder day or both in there without overtraining the general area(upper quarter) of the body.

So if you are used to hitting triceps on chest or shoulder day, simply hit them at the end of chest and delts for a quick 6-9 sets and add an arm day at some point during the week...or just have the arm day later in the week and don't hit them on chest+delts.

Combine this training with a good diet and with proper intra workout nutrition and you are recovering quicker, able to train(bodyparts) more often, and building more muscle guaranteed.

I've never done them together, but maybe I will now.

Hitting everything twice a week would be new to me. How many days a week training ? And what kind of volume are we looking at?

Usually problems with programming happen because of exercise selection or performance.
There is nothing wrong with training delts after chest. But HOW you train them is of utmost importance. Wide grip upright rows are a great choice, bringing the bar up to about nipple level. You can do some really heavy sets almost doing like a push press and controlling the negative, or do really strict reps and cheat on a couple at the end. You can superset the uprights with side laterals also for a killer workout.
I like to do side laterals like Gironda did: false grip on the handle, starting with the bells on your thighs, slight bend to the knees. raise the dbs up untill they are past your ears and tip the front of the dbs down to further activate the medial delts(Arnie talkes about this too).

I would do something like this:
decline or flat bench 3-5 sets going heavy to light
incline db flys 3 sets heavy to light
wide grip upright rows 3 sets heavy medium light
DB laterals 3 sets 8-12 reps

then do that again 3 or 4 days later

I'm so used to doing 16 sets for a muscle, trained once a week. This new twice a week with such low volume seems so foreign

How long are you guys spending in the gym with this type of routine ? 30-45mins?

I'm so used to doing 16 sets for a muscle, trained once a week. This new twice a week with such low volume seems so foreign

How long are you guys spending in the gym with this type of routine ? 30-45mins?

Exactly. 45 minutes you should be golden. Take each set to failure, and only take short rests between sets. You will be a believer

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws