YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chest and Shoulder exercises after rotator cuff surgery recovery?

BALDNAZI

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Been a few weeks since my surgery, full tear of the supraspinatus along with some AC and labrum cleanup. Dr was impressed at my post surgery visit "you had a really bad tear buddy, a lot worse then we thought. Had to spend a lot more time in there. Used 4 anchors instead of 2" great news lol. He was happy with the repair and has me doing therapy already. It's going to be a long road back and I still have to get my tricep done next.

In any case, thinking ahead when I'm finally cleared to lift and setting up my programs and goals. What will I be able to safely do going forward? I'm a huge fan of standing military presses and side laterals but are these going to be safe. Researching online and a lot of people say never overhead press again, others say it's ok. I hope I can as its really something I enjoy.

Chest wise, never was a fan of flat bench so that's out regardless but what about inclines?

I am most likely going to be building a home gym with a Rogue power rack as the centerpiece. Going to focus on barbell work mostly as I want to keep it simple with the rack, adjustable bench and a barbell.

I know I'm a few months away but my mind is working overtime planning ahead and counting the days til I can get back.

I have five anchors but was a perfect tear per my Dr. I've had to reprogram my brain to get my entire right side to fire properly. Lots simple exercises too. I'm back to benching, no overhead stuff for me, still working mobility especially thoracic. You can get back to better than before imho.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Professional Muscle mobile app

I have five anchors but was a perfect tear per my Dr. I've had to reprogram my brain to get my entire right side to fire properly. Lots simple exercises too. I'm back to benching, no overhead stuff for me, still working mobility especially thoracic. You can get back to better than before imho.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Professional Muscle mobile app

Yea, you got lucky probably a clean tear off the bone which is bad enough.
Mine tore mid tendon with bad retraction not leaving much to reattach but he said he was confident of full recovery. I guess I'm going to find out. Thanks for your response and all the best going forward.

No suggestions just glad your healing BN!

No heavy pressing for a while.
No BB bench
Do incline with DBs so you can rotate the angle of your hands
Go light at first
strengthen your rotator cuff up also

I had a full tear. Had rotator cuff surgery and bicep tenodesis in Feb 2016. Rehabbed shoulder and bicep myself. Never once went to PT. Researched the living sheet on rehab, came up with plan that was best for me, and followed 100%. Pushed a bit but took it slow.

5 1/2 months post surgery I was back in gym - not rehab excercises but normal workout routines. Started lightest weight possible. And stayed light for awhile. But I did everything I would normally do and added weight slowly.

Never had a set back - straight progression. My shoulder is stronger than ever. In fact, probably my best body part now because I focused so hard on getting size back - and also discovering new excercises to do while rehabbing.

IMO skill of surgeon and proper rehab and you will be as good or better than before. But be patient, don't rush it. And don't freak out on how small your shoulder will be in a few months!

And yes I do dips, upright rows, overhead presses, side lats, incline bench, etc... all those movements you hear you shouldn't or won't be able to do.

Last edited:
This is all great news to hear. I'm 2 weeks outta surgery and was wondering to myself how I was going to get back to the gym when the time is right and how I would respond in the gym. Well I have hope after I read this responses. I start rehab late next week. I had a 2 and 1/2 tear in rotator what my doctor said was a moderate to severe injury as well as a labrum tear. I must say I'm just starting to b able to move it around a bit. I been trying more and more movement daily. Great thread and great info. Thx guys

Dumbbells only, close together to start, and you’ll learn to twist your wrists to see where the strain / pain is lowest.

Super light pec dec, like no weight at all to start. The stretch itself is painful.

No overhead pressing, laterals only.

I can’t curl other than cable curls on a curved bar, and dumbbells are hammer curls only. I can’t supinate without pain.

It’s a long road back.

I had my rotator cuff surgery back in Dec. 2016 . The doctor told me I had a tear and bone spurs and added to that I have arthritis in there as well. I had a bit of rough tough with my recovery . The 1st 4 weeks I could not move my shoulder , the tiniest bit of movement hurt like hell . Therapy was hard for me in the beginning but I got through it , mine was for 3 times a week for 8 weeks. I couldn't wait to be done with that shit. I was out of work for almost 3 months (which is where I tore my shoulder ). I haven't really been back to the gym because of that and another surgery I had done . When I did go I was able to do close to the same excerises I did before. Side laterals , dumbbell incline presses , hammer strength shoulder presses , bent over lateral raises , Smith machine military presses , front raises and a few other ones. As far as flat bench press I stay away from those not because of fear my shoulder can't handle it . I just never really been a flat press person , I prefer to usr dumbbells for that. I actually am starting back to the gym next week. Like someone here already said it sucks when you look in the mirror to see that one shoulder is gone compared to the one that never got hurt . Good luck for you everyone is different , so you may heal quickly and come back better than ever . Mine was just slow to heal for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Professional Muscle mobile app

Been a few weeks since my surgery, full tear of the supraspinatus along with some AC and labrum cleanup. Dr was impressed at my post surgery visit "you had a really bad tear buddy, a lot worse then we thought. Had to spend a lot more time in there. Used 4 anchors instead of 2" great news lol. He was happy with the repair and has me doing therapy already. It's going to be a long road back and I still have to get my tricep done next.

In any case, thinking ahead when I'm finally cleared to lift and setting up my programs and goals. What will I be able to safely do going forward? I'm a huge fan of standing military presses and side laterals but are these going to be safe. Researching online and a lot of people say never overhead press again, others say it's ok. I hope I can as its really something I enjoy.

Chest wise, never was a fan of flat bench so that's out regardless but what about inclines?

I am most likely going to be building a home gym with a Rogue power rack as the centerpiece. Going to focus on barbell work mostly as I want to keep it simple with the rack, adjustable bench and a barbell.

I know I'm a few months away but my mind is working overtime planning ahead and counting the days til I can get back.

BN how you doing brother. Well this time last year I had rotator cuff surgery and had to have 5 anchors put in. During MY PT sessions I was doing light dumbbell presses off the floor, PT had me doing band work and exercises with a pulley from a door. Over head and side laterals pull and behind the back. I want to say after 2 months of pt then he had me starting barbell work, peck dec flies, and cable pull downs and some tricep work. Just giving you and idea. Also I used a 50lb medicine ball slamming it to the floor. Starting with my hands over my head with the medicine ball and slamming it to the floor and doing that for 5 sets of 20. Just and idea. Glad to see your recovery is going well. That makes two of us recovering from surgery and I also need to repair my right tricep tendon close to the elbow area. Surgery next Friday for me. That will be it then hope fully next year we both come back mean, angry, mad and lift some fucking weight.

Semper Fi,

Brother

BN how you doing brother. Well this time last year I had rotator cuff surgery and had to have 5 anchors put in. During MY PT sessions I was doing light dumbbell presses off the floor, PT had me doing band work and exercises with a pulley from a door. Over head and side laterals pull and behind the back. I want to say after 2 months of pt then he had me starting barbell work, peck dec flies, and cable pull downs and some tricep work. Just giving you and idea. Also I used a 50lb medicine ball slamming it to the floor. Starting with my hands over my head with the medicine ball and slamming it to the floor and doing that for 5 sets of 20. Just and idea. Glad to see your recovery is going well. That makes two of us recovering from surgery and I also need to repair my right tricep tendon close to the elbow area. Surgery next Friday for me. That will be it then hope fully next year we both come back mean, angry, mad and lift some fucking weight.

Semper Fi,

Brother

SEMPER FI leather nuts,...0311.

Semper Fi,

Brother

My bro, thanks for the good word. You have been through a lot the past year as have I but guys like us never stop. You always inspire me to keep going and I will. All damn day kid!

I had my rotator cuff surgery back in Dec. 2016 . The doctor told me I had a tear and bone spurs and added to that I have arthritis in there as well. I had a bit of rough tough with my recovery . The 1st 4 weeks I could not move my shoulder , the tiniest bit of movement hurt like hell . Therapy was hard for me in the beginning but I got through it , mine was for 3 times a week for 8 weeks. I couldn't wait to be done with that shit. I was out of work for almost 3 months (which is where I tore my shoulder ). I haven't really been back to the gym because of that and another surgery I had done . When I did go I was able to do close to the same excerises I did before. Side laterals , dumbbell incline presses , hammer strength shoulder presses , bent over lateral raises , Smith machine military presses , front raises and a few other ones. As far as flat bench press I stay away from those not because of fear my shoulder can't handle it . I just never really been a flat press person , I prefer to usr dumbbells for that. I actually am starting back to the gym next week. Like someone here already said it sucks when you look in the mirror to see that one shoulder is gone compared to the one that never got hurt . Good luck for you everyone is different , so you may heal quickly and come back better than ever . Mine was just slow to heal for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Professional Muscle mobile app

Exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. And I'm already down about 26lbs since the surgery, so looking in the mirror is a total mind fuck. Right shoulder/arm especially has atrophied. But as I keep saying to myself, it's all part of the plan. Comeback will be that much sweeter.

This is all great news to hear. I'm 2 weeks outta surgery and was wondering to myself how I was going to get back to the gym when the time is right and how I would respond in the gym. Well I have hope after I read this responses. I start rehab late next week. I had a 2 and 1/2 tear in rotator what my doctor said was a moderate to severe injury as well as a labrum tear. I must say I'm just starting to b able to move it around a bit. I been trying more and more movement daily. Great thread and great info. Thx guys

Your at the point where you will notice improvements almost daily. Put it this way I can finally brush my teeth and wipe my ass (not at the same time lol) with the repaired arm. Baby steps but it's happening, good luck!

I fell at work 6 months ago and MRI showed a partial tear to my subscapularis.
Surgeon said he wouldn't operate, the negatives outweighed the potential benefits. About 3 months ago I got a shot of Depo-Medrol and the pain killing effect was amazing, I was in a lot of pain before that. Now the pain is coming back. :mad:

Anyone done multiple cortisone shots over a period of time, opinions on cortisone in the shoulder in general?

I fell at work 6 months ago and MRI showed a partial tear to my subscapularis.
Surgeon said he wouldn't operate, the negatives outweighed the potential benefits. About 3 months ago I got a shot of Depo-Medrol and the pain killing effect was amazing, I was in a lot of pain before that. Now the pain is coming back. :mad:

Anyone done multiple cortisone shots over a period of time, opinions on cortisone in the shoulder in general?

Nothing but a band-aid...

Agreed, I had some partial tears I was dealing with through a wrestling career, cortisone and painkillers were a bandaid until I had surgery.

After surgery it was a slow process getting back to normal. Anything with barbells was pretty much out of the question, I tried, my shoulder just hated it. Couldn't do lateral raises. Overhead presses were ok as long as I used dumbbells.

I started really light with everything and as someone mentioned previously, had to retrain that side of my body to work correctly. But besides the normal "working out" exercises, I still to this day do all the rehab exercises on a regular basis. When I stop doing them I start getting little aches and pains, so they've just become a part of my warm up routine on chest day.

Nothing but a band-aid...

Went to a Dr that was a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. Had his own practice, and was the head Dr. for the university orthopedic sports medicine dept. Dealt with many collegiate and pro athletes. I had 2 rotator muscles reattached as I had torn them completely(supraspantus and infraspantus). As well as a ruptured biceps taken care of.The Dr said it would be 18 months till the were fully graphed back on. Originally he said 3 months till I should start lifting with that arm. But he said to keep training the rest of the body. And training the good arm would keep the injured one from from atrophying as much and would keep the nerves functioning as well. Backs up what I had read else were. 5 days after the surgery back in the gym. Only doing rehab work for the injured shoulder along with stretching several times a day. 8 week s later the Dr said I could start training the repaired arm(as he knew I was doing some stuff anyway) as I was healing much faster then normal. 8 months later back to full power but I didn't push it ever work out for awhile till I felt confident. wish

Tear

OK, complete tear 2 1/2 years ago, 3 anchors to repair and doc said if I tear this again there is just not enough tendon to reattach. That's bad news...
I use very little weight when I train chest. I only do decline bench, no pain when I do these. Like I said light ( 120lbs on smith machine) I feel like I can do more but my doctors words are allways in the back of my mind about what happens if I tear this again....
Oh for decline I use a 2" block under bench, that's it. Just want to let you know what works for me. Try different positions with declines and you may find postion that works well for you.
All the best.....

Had rotator surgery about 3 1/2 years ago. recovery was long, 4-5 months of doing nothing, then very light weight. It was about 11 months until I felt 100%. My shoulder is fine with no restrictions now, I press, lateral raises upright rows with no pain.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws