over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chest lagging bodypart

PeterBobJohn

Registered
Guys/Gals
do you feel it is effective to train the lagging bodypart, in my case chest, twice as often as the other bodyparts?
thank you
PBJ

I think it depends what you have been doing..give some more details

i think thru periodization should you only move to 2 days a week...meaning have you progressively worked up to it?

Lagging how? Do you mean strength wise or size wise? For me personally when I am trying to increase a lift, let's say bench press, then I say no training once a week is all that is needed, assuming you are going hard and heavy. Muscle still needs time to recover. I may throw in a little light cable work for chest on a shoulder day, mainly to keep stretched out. Chest is easy to over train and even easier to get hurt doing if you are over trained. Lifting smart is just as important as lifting often..make sense?

your whole routine could be flawed.
your exercise choices could be subpar as well.
you also may never have a big chest due to genetics.
-JS

Lagging how? Do you mean strength wise or size wise? For me personally when I am trying to increase a lift, let's say bench press, then I say no training once a week is all that is needed, assuming you are going hard and heavy. Muscle still needs time to recover. I may throw in a little light cable work for chest on a shoulder day, mainly to keep stretched out. Chest is easy to over train and even easier to get hurt doing if you are over trained. Lifting smart is just as important as lifting often..make sense?

Lagging in size.
I am on a five day split
day one chest
day two back
day three shouders
day four arms
day five legs

with my work schedule I take at least one if not two days off a week.
chest routine for last workout was
decline benchpress
flat dumbells
incline flies
12 sets total, excluding two warmup sets I did on the decline bench

i don't like your split.
are you nattie?
-JS

i am not a scientific man. don't have studies or science to back up anything i say only experience. i have worked with some great trainers and have been in this sport for a while and this is what i think of your routine...
i don't think its stimulating enough.
if i go in and only do 12 sets for chest and only train it 1x a week its NOT ENOUGH. some would say raise the volume. i would not. i would add frequency.
i also don't think working out 1 bodypart a day is stimulating enough to the body either. i like doing chest with tris and delts. i don't know why but i feel like my body responds better. like the metabolism is triggered more and the growth reponse is triggered more from doing more in a workout.... not sure if i am making sense.

to put it bluntly, your results are dismal because you have a LOW volume workout routine which is also LOW in frequency.
if you ohave a low volume workout you need higher frequency of training in my experience. fix that first.
i would also not do inclines of any sort. keep it to compound pressing movements that you can handle a lot of weight safely imo.
-JS

Johnny
thank you,
If I am doing chest, tris and delts what am I doing the other days?
if you don't mind, of course.
and are we talking 12 sets chest, 12 sets shoulders, 8 sets tris?
how many days on? off?
Like I said, if you don't mind, if you do, I can read and take your advice as a guide

Johnny
thank you,
how many days on? off?
Like I said, if you don't mind, if you do, I can read and take your advice as a guide

Not to answer for johnny, but, think about what you just said. if your doing multiple bodyparts per day, and doing each bodypart twice a week 32sets per training session is going to greatly overtrain you, maybe 3-6 sets chest, shoulders and tris TOPS. that will give you around 12 total sets per bodypart per week broken up into multiple training sessions. with enough weight on the bar 3-6 sets should be all you shoul be able to do in a session. rethink this and post up a new proposed routine.

Johnny
thank you,
how many days on? off?

Hmmmmmm....
with lower volume i think you should be training each muscle group every 5-6 days. i do anywhere from 3-5 sets for all body parts. normally 3-4 sets. and as little as 3 if i feel i had form and poundage right. it doesnt take many sets if you are VERY intense.
(fyi, i consider the back 2 parts, lats and rhomboids so a bit more sets for that) choose compound moves that you can handle good amount of weight in. study form. experiement with your form. find out what paths of motion in a given exercise stimulates YOUR muscles best. all physiques are unique. not all exercises are good choices for all bodies. aka inclines are useless for my frame....
-JS

DAMN, TKAV said exaclt what i did but in fewer words. Tkav is spot on.

Not to answer for johnny, but, think about what you just said. if your doing multiple bodyparts per day, and doing each bodypart twice a week 32sets per training session is going to greatly overtrain you, maybe 3-6 sets chest, shoulders and tris TOPS. that will give you around 12 total sets per bodypart per week broken up into multiple training sessions. with enough weight on the bar 3-6 sets should be all you shoul be able to do in a session. rethink this and post up a new proposed routine.

rethink my proposed schedule? I obviosuly have not enough experience to even create a qualilty routine so to rethink what I write and to base it on 3 to 6 sets would be me talking out of my ass.

Hmmmmmm....
with lower volume i think you should be training each muscle group every 5-6 days. i do anywhere from 3-5 sets for all body parts. normally 3-4 sets. and as little as 3 if i feel i had form and poundage right. it doesnt take many sets if you are VERY intense.
(fyi, i consider the back 2 parts, lats and rhomboids so a bit more sets for that) choose compound moves that you can handle good amount of weight in. study form. experiement with your form. find out what paths of motion in a given exercise stimulates YOUR muscles best. all physiques are unique. not all exercises are good choices for all bodies. aka inclines are useless for my frame....
-JS

DAMN, TKAV said exaclt what i did but in fewer words. Tkav is spot on.

thank you Johnny

rethink my proposed schedule? I obviosuly have not enough experience to even create a qualilty routine so to rethink what I write and to base it on 3 to 6 sets would be me talking out of my ass.

Your underestimating yourself. Ill get you started but i want to make you really think your way through this. as soon as you " get it" so to speak youll go Oh yeah! i see it now.

Grab a calander and start on monday, you know you need to train each muscle twice a week at 3-6 sets per muscle per workout. start playing around with it until you have things looking spaced out to give you a few days rest before reworking each muscle. Be verry careful with exercise selection as well. you want to SAFELY use as much weight as you can. make sure your considering what muscles may be alternatively worked with each exercise, like dips for tris are going to recruit pecs. take some time and play with it. if you give it some thought with the information in this thread as a guide you can absolutely come up with something.

Your underestimating yourself. Ill get you started but i want to make you really think your way through this. as soon as you " get it" so to speak youll go Oh yeah! i see it now.

Grab a calander and start on monday, you know you need to train each muscle twice a week at 3-6 sets per muscle per workout. start playing around with it until you have things looking spaced out to give you a few days rest before reworking each muscle. Be verry careful with exercise selection as well. you want to SAFELY use as much weight as you can. make sure your considering what muscles may be alternatively worked with each exercise, like dips for tris are going to recruit pecs. take some time and play with it. if you give it some thought with the information in this thread as a guide you can absolutely come up with something.

I am doing that right now at the office, printed out a calendar an am writing in proposed schedules in pencil, thanks again

I am doing that right now at the office, printed out a calendar an am writing in proposed schedules in pencil, thanks again

Hey, no problem. Honestly the best thing i ever did with this sport was having Phil H teach me how to figure this stuff out on my own. Now if i could only do it with diet as well.

i am not a scientific man. don't have studies or science to back up anything i say only experience. i have worked with some great trainers and have been in this sport for a while and this is what i think of your routine...
i don't think its stimulating enough.
if i go in and only do 12 sets for chest and only train it 1x a week its NOT ENOUGH. some would say raise the volume. i would not. i would add frequency.
i also don't think working out 1 bodypart a day is stimulating enough to the body either. i like doing chest with tris and delts. i don't know why but i feel like my body responds better. like the metabolism is triggered more and the growth reponse is triggered more from doing more in a workout.... not sure if i am making sense.

to put it bluntly, your results are dismal because you have a LOW volume workout routine which is also LOW in frequency.
if you ohave a low volume workout you need higher frequency of training in my experience. fix that first.
i would also not do inclines of any sort. keep it to compound pressing movements that you can handle a lot of weight safely imo.
-JS

x2

I agree JS, I recently switch to a routine hitting big body parts 2-3 a week and im getting the best results i think ive ever got....low volume + frequency = success

Don't play hit and miss. Hire a good trainer or maybe even get you a training partner who will push you harder.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131