over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chest

tornquad201

Registered
For pecs is it better to tuck elbows in or flare them out . I have very strong front delt’s and there’s not a whole lot difference between my front presses vs inclined but when looking at them both I pull my elbows back so technically it’s the same movement just different angle . Example I can do 160 x 10-12 step incline and then raise it one notch and still do 140 x 12-13 but if I lower it to slight incline I lose strength

I tuck elbows in and my chest has improved immensely the past several years. In the early years I always had elbows out and it just gave me big delts.

I think elbows out puts more stress on the rotator cuff too, always irritates mine if I allow my elbows to come out.

I was reading something from Phil Hernon about not doing inclines as it’s all front delt and it got me thinking that it true . I also think it puts your long head bicep in a bad position too

I was reading something from Phil Hernon about not doing inclines as it’s all front delt and it got me thinking that it true . I also think it puts your long head bicep in a bad position too
Well, I used his training service for awhile and remember he wasn't a fan of inclines. He didn't have me doing them. He was really big on declines, and I liked it.

Most fixed incline benches are too steep and cause more front delt involvement than we want. Incline press on a Smith with an adjustable bench on a slightly lower incline and you'll get more chest and less front delts.

On elbows, I get the best results by flaring them out when pressing and bringing them back in towards the body coming down.

My opinion . . . the worst and most dangerous exercises exercise known to
man is the flat bench press and the incline. Whoever promoted them should have
been taken out and shot. Hugely over rated and hugely dangerous. If you don't
believe me, just give it some time. It will make a believer out of you.

Ditch them both and focus on dips and decline presses. Your results will far exceed
anything you will ever achieve by doing fat and incline (even more worthless for
the chest) presses. They are nothing but 'ego' exercises unless you are a competitive
power lifter. They have no place in bodybuilding in my opinion, but suite yourself.
Talk to me when you get older (if I am not dead by then) and I will ask you about
your pec tear and your shoulders. And be truthful.

Am I being negative enough ;)

Personally I find really low angle inclines to be ok for my shoulders as long as I keep my elbows in. I can't do declines now at home, so I'm doing those instead. My left shoulder has some long term injury that I have to watch. I suspect supraspinatus ,but just a guess.

Flat presses just shred my shoulder.

I say always do them in the way that feels best to YOU. Whatever way that may be.

I use a flat bench with a 3” block (2 25lb plates stack is close) under the foot end of it for a shallow decline which is my first chest movement. The use the same block under the head for a shallow incline for second movement. I only use dumbbells for these as well and it’s made a huge difference in achy shoulders. I’ve had both AC joint scoped for severe impingement and had slight rotator cuff tear (no surgery) which I attribute to years of heavy flat bench with shitty form.
I don’t remember who told me about the shallow incline and decline but it was one of the guys that use to post here a lot , I’m wanting to say Shelby or Tenny but it definitely made a big difference

I use a flat bench with a 3” block (2 25lb plates stack is close) under the foot end of it for a shallow decline which is my first chest movement. The use the same block under the head for a shallow incline for second movement. I only use dumbbells for these as well and it’s made a huge difference in achy shoulders. I’ve had both AC joint scoped for severe impingement and had slight rotator cuff tear (no surgery) which I attribute to years of heavy flat bench with shitty form.
I don’t remember who told me about the shallow incline and decline but it was one of the guys that use to post here a lot , I’m wanting to say Shelby or Tenny but it definitely made a big difference

Agree !

I learned about the shallow incline and decline from John meadows

Agree !

I learned about the shallow incline and decline from John meadows
That may have been who it was , they stressed that just a tiny incline or decline took stress off the shoulders that a flat bench causes.

elbows out is very rough on the rotator cuff. going very heavy with elbows out and you are looking for trouble. Incline are very front delt "heavy". 30 degrees or lower, usually lower if possible would be ideal for chest. Most Olympic Incline benches are 35 or 30 degrees. i spent a lot of time focusing on incline as the mags advised and only ended up with sore front delts. My delts definitely grew but the chest, not so much. Oddly enough, after i got my shoulder operated on for a torn labrum due to a sports injury, my chest development suffered. I personally found that dips with a forward lean and pause in the bottom position was a good move for chest although a little rough on the shoulders.

I don't do bench... I'll use a machine to warm up and stretch. I only use cables and a seated fly machine for chest. On seated flys I put my butt back and lean toward.. squeezing the collarbone area filling in the upper chest. I've never been a bench guy. In fact believe it or not I only train chest about once a month. Chest is my strongest feature. And I'm thick from a side view. If my chest gets to big my arms look smaller. I'm stuck doing it at home right now and I'm using a bench. I'm using elbows out. After reading this thread I may tuck them in. I can't afford shoulder problems. Ive had injury set backs and feel for any one who has or had. Perhaps the position of our elbows is more important then we think. I think the average lifter lifts in their natural habit position from when they first ever started. When habits or routines change the results will be new as one would imagine

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131