advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chicken Weight Raw / Cooked (confused here)

E-Volve

Registered
Something that has always bugged me is weighing chicken and what's most accurate. I've looked around found info on raw and cooked, but still it doesn't seem right. I'll try and explain as accurately as I can here.
I have 1oz of raw chicken listed as
32 cals, 0 carbs, 6.5 grams Protein, 0.8 Grams fat.

Now I have 1oz Cooked chicken as
30 cals, 0 carbs, 6.5 grams Protein, 0.4 Grams fat.

Its doesn't seem quite right to me because when I go to the store I normally buy a little over 13lbs of chicken. Lets just call it 13lbs. I have it cut into cubes, wash it, and then cook it stove top with some cooking spray only.
By the time I'm finished I wind up with about 7.5lbs of chicken

I'm left wondering how the hell do I lose that much in water weight and what's the correct data here. The info I have above in regards to cooked I would think is off.

If I go by info above that means that the cooked chicken is
120oz - 3600 cals, 0 carbs, 780g Protein, 45fat

if I went by the original raw weight that means
208oz -6240 cals, 0 carbs, 1352g Protein, 79g fat

which is correct?

I buy the kind from walmart and giant eagle that has up to 15% water added. so right away u need to subtract that weight from the total since it will cook out.
also, ive looked online for the same thing and find different nutritional "facts" all over. to the point that I don't care now, I just eat 6 ounces cooked and figure it's 45 grams protein and maybe 250 cals.

When I buy 2lbs of thighs.....(32oz)...I end up with about 23oz. I believe I used Publix...I use Walmart too but haven't measured.

cooked. that is what you are eating

not sure what site you are getting your data from but every site I have looked at says 1 ounce of grilled chicken breast meat only is 9g of protein.

Cook all your chicken then weigh out your portions. Always use cooked weight for chicken

not sure what site you are getting your data from but every site I have looked at says 1 ounce of grilled chicken breast meat only is 9g of protein.

Cook all your chicken then weigh out your portions. Always use cooked weight for chicken

I weigh mine cooked as well. 6 oz uncooked would shrink up to nothing and i would be starving otherwise ;)

Measure your meat cooked and measure you're carb sources dry bc the opposite happens. When you cook meat you lose water, but when you cook rice/oats it holds water.

i think what matters the most is being consistent.

unfortunately frozen has a lot of water so that adds a variable to it.

i just cook up a big as container and store it in the fridge. every morning i cook up a pot of rice and add 6oz of cooked chicken to each meal.

then how do you guys measure potatoes ? before or after cooking? i measure my rice before i cook it..

i can put like 2 pounds in the oven for 1 hour it a long time then then is is brown and very crispy it only weight half or less? or if i microwave it i shrinks as well

i have seen guys like Justin Compton weight his after cooked.

Meat is always weighed raw...can't believe so many people don't realize this.

If you cook 8oz raw chicken, it may weigh 5-6 oz when cooked, depending if it is overcooked.

Edit: Wanted to add that even if you weigh it cooked and use kcal values for raw, you may have to eventually lower your kcal intake for fat loss to continue, in which case you would just eat less, so really you would just be starting your diet with higher than "needed" kcals. Although lowering protein intake on a contest/extreme fat loss diet is not the ideal macronutrient to cut.

Last edited:
I allways do Meat cooked.. But this has me thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meat is always weighed raw...can't believe so many people don't realize this.

If you cook 8oz raw chicken, it may weigh 5-6 oz when cooked, depending if it is overcooked.

Edit: Wanted to add that even if you weigh it cooked and use kcal values for raw, you may have to eventually lower your kcal intake for fat loss to continue, in which case you would just eat less, so really you would just be starting your diet with higher than "needed" kcals. Although lowering protein intake on a contest/extreme fat loss diet is not the ideal macronutrient to cut.

completely false. u are terribly misinformed.
yes meat is weighed raw when they package it. BUT...

I was misinformed also...
always thought you were supposed to weigh it raw.
been doin it that way for a long time.:eek:

thanx everyone.

I just cook the meat and then weigh up 200g of cooked meat for each meal that's around 50-60g of protein, or 500ml egg White is 55g protein, if your having steak you need abit less cooked meat, around 180g cooked for 50-60g protein

I just cook the meat and then weigh up 200g of cooked meat for each meal that's around 50-60g of protein, or 500ml egg White is 55g protein, if your having steak you need abit less cooked meat, around 180g cooked for 50-60g protein

^This

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner