over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cholesterol concerns

Spacey

Registered
Hi,

I am on HRT (200mg T/wk) and my cholesterol recently went up.

Last November, it was 228. I started doing 40min LISS cardio 5x/wk, and by March it went down to 201. I have continued the cardio, but new blood test results came back today and my cholesterol is at it's highest ever—348.

The only thing I can think of for the sudden spike is that I switched to a Palumbo-style diet (high protein, moderate fat, no carb) about a month ago. (I know some people say dietary fat doesn't cause high cholesterol, but honestly, nothing else has changed in my diet, supplementation or training).

I like the new diet a lot—I'm getting a lot leaner and I don't have crazy carb cravings anymore—but I'm concerned about the cholesterol. Is there anything else I can do to bring it down?

In case it's helpful, here are some related test results that were out of range:
Cholesterol: November (228); March (201), today (348)
LDL: November (151); March (140), today (271)
Cholesterol/HDLC ratio: November (3.9); March (4.5), today (5.4)
Non-HDL cholesterol: November (169); March (156), today (284)
Hemoglobin: November (15.2); March (17.1), today (18.3)
Hematocrit: November (46); March (52.6), today (54)

HDL and Triglycerides were in normal range:
HDL: November (59); March (45), today (64)
Triglycerides: November (91); March (79), today (65)

Thanks

Get a VAP or LPP test, C-reactive protein would be good too. LDL and HDL numbers are practically worthless.

Thanks, but I'm more concerned about the total cholesterol number and the overall trends here. My question is what can I do on a high protein/moderate fat/low carb diet to bring cholesterol back in line?

Thanks, but I'm more concerned about the total cholesterol number and the overall trends here. My question is what can I do on a high protein/moderate fat/low carb diet to bring cholesterol back in line?

Total cholesterol number means nothing. Without the tests I mentioned you don't even know if you have a problem that needs correcting.

Trying to determine your cholesterol status based on total cholesterol is like trying to figure out how big of a building you can build but all you know is you have 348 bricks. The important part is how big the bricks are, right? Same idea.

Also, a low carb, mod protein, high fat diet is the healthiest way to eat, provided it is from the proper foods of course.

Last edited:
Total cholesterol number means nothing. Without the tests I mentioned you don't even know if you have a problem that needs correcting.

Trying to determine your cholesterol status based on total cholesterol is like trying to figure out how big of a building you can build but all you know is you have 348 bricks. The important part is how big the bricks are, right? Same idea.

Also, a low carb, mod protein, high fat diet is the healthiest way to eat, provided it is from the proper foods of course.

I am not relying solely on total cholesterol or just the traditional lipid profile tests. I provided a series of other, related tests (see original post). In particular, the non-HDL number, which includes both HDL and VHDL levels. Also, the trends are noteworthy—after adding cardio, abnormalities generally decreased; after switching to a high protein/moderate fat/low carb diet, abnormalities generally increased. Regardless of any one test, the results in combination suggest something is going on here.

Moreover, there is no evidence that I am aware of that traditional cholesterol tests are over-inclusive, that abnormalities identified by traditional tests are poor indicators of heart disease, or that a VAP test would exclude the same false positives. Although traditional cholesterol tests provide less information than VAP tests, they are still independently useful and sufficient in many cases, particularly when the results can be read consistently (i.e., not on the basis of one single outlier).

But this is all irrelevant to my question, as I am asking not about how to diagnosis cholesterol abnormalities, but how to treat them. So, if it helps get over this hurdle, let's just say, in arguendo, that elevated cholesterol levels have been diagnosed based on a testing methodology implemented to your satisfaction. In that case, what lifestyle changes could or should this person make to improve his cholesterol?

Thanks

You don't seem to be understanding. The numbers you have a meaningless. The trends they represent are virtually meaningless. They have almost no bearing on what is actually going on inside your body nor do they have any accurate representation on the risk of a cardiac event.

If you're not aware of the mountainous evidence showing that the tests you've had done are pointless then you need to do some reading. You are trying to solve a problem that you aren't even sure if you have. How can ignore the validity of diagnosis and just jump straight to a solution when you don't even know what you're trying to solve? If a car is towed into the shop because it won't start you don't just put a fuel pump in it, you figure out if there's a problem and what it is first. The diagnosis is imperative and doing it properly is important.

Spacey said:
So, if it helps get over this hurdle, let's just say, in arguendo, that elevated cholesterol levels have been diagnosed based on a testing methodology implemented to your satisfaction.

The above line demonstrates that you aren't grasping my argument. Elevated cholesterol levels are not a danger and the testing methodology to diagnose a problem doesn't check for elevated levels.

Here is a very informative book I would highly suggest.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Cholesterol-Myth-Disease/dp/1592335217"]The Great Cholesterol Myth: Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease-and the Statin-Free Plan That Will: Jonny Bowden, Stephen Sinatra: 9781592335213: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HryJpgLGL.@@AMEPARAM@@51HryJpgLGL[/ame]

And here is some free reading in the mean time.

Cholesterol Archives - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

You read through all that and you'll know more about cholesterol than 95% of doctors currently practicing medicine.

Now, all that being said, since you don't seem to actually want help or advice; if you were worried about cardiovascular health and possible consequences the things you would want to do are the things you are already doing.

Low carbs, moderate protein, high fat.
No processed foods, refined sugars or industrial oils.
Weight training and cardio on a regular basis.
Proper n3-n6 ratio.
Lots of vegetables; grass-fed, pasture-raised meats and fats.
No grains, no gluten.
Reduce inflammation.
Supplement with vitamins/minerals of which you are deficient.
Add specific supplements for specific purposes, (ie Ubiquinol)

Thanks for the detailed and informative response clarifying your position. I appreciate the suggestions and the time you took to share them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want, you can try some natural products suggested for cholesterol levels control. It is a safer and cheaper way. Alfalfa is one of the best choices applied by many people. Loading with great amount of dietary fiber, alfalfa is really beneficial for the fight against high cholesterol levels. Moreover, the combination of fiber and saponins in alfalfa will inhibit cholesterol from locking arterial walls. As a result, “good” cholesterol levels inside the body system may be balanced well. That’s why alfalfa can have good impacts many health ailments including heart stroke, atherosclerosi. Thus the apperience of it in your diet may be very useful! :):)
This benefit of alfalfa is mentioned in many healt articles. See it at https://wikihomenutrition.com/alfalfa-health-benefits/

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear