over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chris Bumstead diagnosed with IgA nephropathy

MyNameIsJeff

Kilo Klub Member
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F062siQfzps"]Admitted to Hospital 4 Weeks Out | The Challenge I Faced This Prep - YouTube[/ame]

Here a brief summary:

He suffered from acute kidney failure due to a flare-up of IgA nephropathy 4 weeks out from the Olympia. IgA nephropathy is an autoimmune kidney disease that occurs when IgA (an antibody) deposits build up in the kidneys, causing inflammation that damages kidney tissues.

He presented with both hematuria (blood in urine) and albuminuria (excess albumin in urine), but with still normal eGFR. The albuminuria apparently was so severe that he developed massive edema (swelling due to water retention) in his legs and later his lower back.

Bumstead was treated with Lasix (a diuretic) to decrease the water retention, and a kidney biopsy was performed and 2 weeks later the results confirmed diagnosis. Chris continued taking Lasix up to the show, but despite the use, he still had significant water retention that made him look less sharp than usual. Furthermore, he did not train as intensively during the health issues and was unable to judge his diet progress due to the water film. he doesn't mention this, but he probably did not push AAA as much as usual out of caution. Bumstead rejected the doctor's recommendation to start prednisone and MMF (a harsh immunosuppresive) right away in order to be able to compete.

Absolutely amazing that he pulled through all that adversity and that he did as well in the show under the circumstances. I feel very sorry for Chris, he is such a stand up guy.

These bodybuilding kidney issues are becoming a huge problem.

Context:

IgA nepohropathy has a large hereditary component, and Chris claims to have had a flare up 4 years ago (so before his heavy PED use). But there is a good chance that the onset of symptoms is in fact related to the stress of show prep and possible immunomodulatory effects of AAS (For example, tren lowers serum cortisol levels). So even though the disease was present before AAS use, the latter may have caused the recent flare-up.

The real problem is where we go from here. The prognosis depends on the degree of interstitial scarring, hematuria and creatinine levels. Without knowing those, it's hard to say, but he has somewhere between a 1% to 50% chance of ending up with end-stage renal disease in his lifetime.

Disease progression can be slowed with a combination of prednisone and MMF. Chris has started with the prednisone now but rejected the use of MMF due to its harsh side effects, which is not ideal. Luckily, the drugs can be tapered after 2 months and discontinued after 6 months, so in principle he could compete at next years' Olympia without that stuff in his system.

However, the use of AAS is associated with progressive damage to the kidney's glomeruli. IgA nephropathy in turn causes inflammation to and subsequently also damages the glomeruli. So the combination of AAS use and recurrent flare-ups may significantly speed up the disease progression to kidney failure.

So all in all. Chris' bodybuilding career need not necessarily be over. He could bounce back a year from now without issues, assuming that 1) the prednisone is sufficient in reducing the immune reaction so that albumin retention can normalize, 2) That there is not another flare up next contest prep, and 3) that his kidney function does not decline over time so that he can keep pushing the drugs.

Well the smart thing would have been to pull out of the Olympia and reassess the condition... I'm sure it didnt help.. but when your making money on this game it's a grey area how far ya push it... if I were chris.. and I'm not lol.. I'd stop competing and train.. look great and still represent spi sorts etc. Its pretty established by now you can make money off this endeavor and not step foot on stage...

Well the smart thing would have been to pull out of the Olympia and reassess the condition... I'm sure it didnt help.. but when your making money on this game it's a grey area how far ya push it... if I were chris.. and I'm not lol.. I'd stop competing and train.. look great and still represent spi sorts etc. Its pretty established by now you can make money off this endeavor and not step foot on stage...

I have start start off by saying my favorite physique is Chris’s and his character is even better.

Ya that what I don’t understand, especially from those pictures in the video were some serious shit. He even says in the video that he wasn’t even predicting to do well st all??? Odddd to me because it doesn’t seem like he super competitive to begin with or loves the extremes of the sport. Weirdest thing is I was saying I was soo pissed that he did all those appears because the prep doesn’t seem to be going right. I thought It was just over exhaustion. I hope he gets health and doesn’t push this bs. I hope he does well for his self in this industry and doesn’t do stupid shit like he has in the past. I hope he has a speedy recovery dudes a stud.

A lot will depend on his competition requirements from sponsors. One of his main sponsors (gymshark) I doubt has a competition clause and I have seen posts from someone close to him that the gymshark contract is 70k/year. He also has MHP...I bet there is a competition requirement in that contract.

I’m pretty sure he can make a good living without competing bc he’s pretty and has a killer structure.

Here a brief summary:

He suffered from acute kidney failure due to a flare-up of IgA nephropathy 4 weeks out from the Olympia. IgA nephropathy is an autoimmune kidney disease that occurs when IgA (an antibody) deposits build up in the kidneys, causing inflammation that damages kidney tissues.

He presented with both hematuria (blood in urine) and albuminuria (excess albumin in urine), but with still normal eGFR. The albuminuria apparently was so severe that he developed massive edema (swelling due to water retention) in his legs and later his lower back.

Bumstead was treated with Lasix (a diuretic) to decrease the water retention, and a kidney biopsy was performed and 2 weeks later the results confirmed diagnosis. Chris continued taking Lasix up to the show, but despite the use, he still had significant water retention that made him look less sharp than usual. Furthermore, he did not train as intensively during the health issues and was unable to judge his diet progress due to the water film. he doesn't mention this, but he probably did not push AAA as much as usual out of caution. Bumstead rejected the doctor's recommendation to start prednisone and MMF (a harsh immunosuppresive) right away in order to be able to compete.

Absolutely amazing that he pulled through all that adversity and that he did as well in the show under the circumstances. I feel very sorry for Chris, he is such a stand up guy.
While I commend his strength to do the show . I think he made a very unintelligent decision for not treating himself and taking care of his health first.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

While I commend his strength to do the show . I think he made a very unintelligent decision for not treating himself and taking care of his health first.

Well if he toughed it out the last four weeks and won, he would have earned $20K. He ended up with $8K for finishing second but that could be a lot of money to him.

Well if he toughed it out the last four weeks and won, he would have earned $20K. He ended up with $8K for finishing second but that could be a lot of money to him.

4th place bikini girl made more LMAO

He has competed many times before and this wasnt an issue before. As he said he was flying every single weekend for 10 weeks so that wouldn't help the water retention. I'm sure Chris is smart enough to call it a day if his health was in serious jeopardy.

Insane that he refused meds and just continued to compete and for what? He didn't even win a plastic trophy.

He’s making well over 6 figures in sponsorship money per year. 8k for your long term heath...imo not worth it.

He very well may not compete anymore. There have been many rumblings saying he’s not a fan of the drug aspect of the sport already.

Is 8k or even 20k worth risking kidney failure or death?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost