over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Christian Thibaudeauxs theories on loaded stretching

heavyhitter

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Id love to hear some peoples opinions on his theories regarding this. Dante? He spoke on it at the SWIS symposium recently. He says in increases Mtor trhough two different pathways, enhance muscle growth via reactive hyperemeia, recruits additional muscle fibers, and enhances igf-1 receptor sensitivity.

Weighted stretching between sets!

Wonder if that would accomplish anything

I know I'd def get a better mind muscle connection for sure

I just know it works and over years various people been proponents of it in various forms. I remember as a kid in HS in 90s reading about weighted stretching and we us to do it in between sets especially on chest and lats. That and always do a pump set at end workout. I think it was something Eddie Robinson mentioned.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you can do intra set stretching without it having a significant impact on your strength, set to set. I prefer to just do 3-4 sets at the end of my workout.

What I'd like to do is hold a tricep extension stretch for an entire week with say 20 or 30 pounds. Take it off to eat and sleep. Might need GHB to fall asleep if the pain is what I imagine.

That is what they did in the bird studies where the lats grew 200% in the course of a few weeks. Or something crazy like that. What if it was discovered to be the quickest way to grow muscle tissue

I know there is a study done on chickens that showed hypertrophy and hyperplasia from weighed stretching

You are strongest close to your body and weakest when at your extremities. Only makes sense that a significantly lighter load held at longer distance would produce more stress to the muscle.

I believe the current best practice for stretching is following a workout, as someone noted it weakens you (think of lengthening a spring thus reducing tension). I was taught to do stretch exercises last and seems sound.

I definitely belive in loaded stretching. Ive been doing it for years since the early days of DC training. It has made a noticeable difference in my chest. More interested in hearing the hows and whys of how it works. I don't do it between sets though. Its always done after the last set for that specific bodypart

Christian Thibaudeaux has made a career of plagiarizing others' ideas without citation. It would be quite surprising if he could explain the mechanism of hypertrophy/hyperplasia from loaded stretched.

The avian stretch model research is over 2 decades old. Dante has spoken of it repeatedly. Dr. Scott Stevenson addresses hyperplasia in a GearedUp podcast. You might search for that discussion for additional details.

Studies in animals have shown that loaded stretch is a potent stimulus for muscle growth, most notably shown by the early work of Jose Antonio. Thing is, the studies involved extreme protocols, such as attaching weights to the wings of quails for many hours. This is the first study I'm aware to show that a relatively modest loaded stretching protocol produces significant hypertrophy in humans. An interesting finding here was that at least some of the growth was due to the addition of sarcomeres in series (as opposed to in parallel growth, which is predominant in traditional training protocols). The authors speculated that muscle damage was a driving force in the growth process. Definitely an area that is rife for additional research, with potentially important implications for hypertrophy program design. Thanks to Lyle McDonald for the share.

Post by brad S

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28138986

I don't understand how you can do intra set stretching without it having a significant impact on your strength, set to set. I prefer to just do 3-4 sets at the end of my workout.

What I'd like to do is hold a tricep extension stretch for an entire week with say 20 or 30 pounds. Take it off to eat and sleep. Might need GHB to fall asleep if the pain is what I imagine.

That is what they did in the bird studies where the lats grew 200% in the course of a few weeks. Or something crazy like that. What if it was discovered to be the quickest way to grow muscle tissue

Scott Stevenson talked about this on geard up. He has u do stretches at the end of a set. 3 different type depending on work ur doing one is load stretch. One just plain stretch. And one with low weight stretch. He goes in to detail about the purpose of all 3. It's in his fortitude training e-book. A good deal for only 20$ I thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christian Thibaudeaux has made a career of plagiarizing others' ideas without citation. It would be quite surprising if he could explain the mechanism of hypertrophy/hyperplasia from loaded stretched.

The avian stretch model research is over 2 decades old. Dante has spoken of it repeatedly. Dr. Scott Stevenson addresses hyperplasia in a GearedUp podcast. You might search for that discussion for additional details.

Loaded stretching has a whole chapter I his book Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods which was written more than 10 years ago. So he was talking about it before it became popular in bodybuilding.

I was also there for his presentation at the SWIS symposium (Dr.Stevenson and John Meadows were also in attendance) and he did give credit to both guys as well as to Dante. BTW both enjoyed the presentation and were taking notes.

Last edited:
I was also there for his presentation at the SWIS symposium (Dr.Stevenson and John Meadows were also in attendance) and he did give credit to both guys as well as to Dante.
Good to hear. His articles on a familiar training website rarely reference the origin.

I think everyone is basically saying the same thing....

Dante has talked about this for years....HE cited the same study that was done on quail wings weighed down I believe.

Brad Schoenfeld just posted a FB status about this today and I believe it was a study using actual people. This IS A A THING and IT DOES WORK.

I think the main question as to Brad's post was it being done between sets or after the exercise.

Any idea what episode that was? I love listening to anything scott says

Loaded stretching has a whole chapter I his book Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods which was written more than 10 years ago. So he was talking about it before it became popular in bodybuilding.

I was also there for his presentation at the SWIS symposium (Dr.Stevenson and John Meadows were also in attendance) and he did give credit to both guys as well as to Dante. BTW both enjoyed the presentation and were taking notes.

yes, he did

Good to hear. His articles on a familiar training website rarely reference the origin.

He is not with said site anymore and never underestimate the power of editorial control by the editors... just saying

And even to Chuck Sipes who is truly the first bodybuilder to use loaded stretching to build muscle in the 1960s

Ya the whole weighted hanging stretch thing like dante uses. He mentioned that chuck actually used to use it as one of his exercises and he attributed it to a lot of his back growth.

I think it was 129. Round table edition on geard up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Im gonna check that out. Im gonna find that post by brad schoenfeld on his facebook as well

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear