over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chronic lower back pain

mementomori515

Registered
Hey guys. My dad is in his late 50s and works a physically demanding job, upwards of 60 hours a week. He's had noticeable back pain for the last decade or so, but either it's getting worse or I've just grown more aware of it. Transitioning from sitting to standing and vis versa seems very painful. I really don't like seeing my father like this. It truly pains me. If I had the money I'd give it to him so he could retire, or at least take a break.

I really want to help him but I don't know how. I've looked at inversion tables but many claim they provide only temporarily relief, or that they even cause more damage.

I've even considered BPC 157 which I've used for nagging injuries myself. I don't know it would be effective in this case.

Appreciate any input.

What's the actual cause of the pain? I assume he's been to a doctor to have it examined?

A good chiropractor goes a LONG way. Surgery and pain medication is often not the answer.

Has he seen a doctor and had an MRI? You have to find out what's wrong before you can treat it.

He could try 400mg to 600mg of curcumin three times a day for inflammation.

Last edited:
A good chiropractor goes a LONG way. Surgery and pain medication is often not the answer.

This exactly and as Bio says an MRI to determine what is causing the pain should be the first things you do.

Get him started on joint support supps and fish oil, I would also recommend E-Pharm 'Joint Spray'.

Without more details there isn't much for us to add.. I hope he gets well though brother..

Speaking only if my own condition I struggle with back pain since about 2008 due to wear and tear and an MRAP rollover in 2010. My back went out every 6 months or so to the point of me not being able to walk. I did the shots which temporarily helped.After my last episode in December I started seeing a chiropractor and besides general soreness from working out I've had absolutely no issues since. The 100 dollars s month is well worth it so far and after next month I'll just be going twice a month for maintenance. Hope he finds something to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Chiropractor has helped me. What I do now is see him once every 3 weeks and he stretches me out on a traction table. Each day at home I hang for 5 minutes on my inversion table too. I have been doing much better. It hasn't gotten rid of all of my pain or discomfort but it is much better now and some days I don't have any trouble at all. Sitting for long periods is what give me trouble.

Have him see a chiropractor and he can take an xray at his office and take a look. If there is something else there that needs looking at then he could probably refer him to an orthopedist and get an MRI. In the beginning I was getting treatments at the chiropractor a couple of time a week. As you get better the frequency will go down. The can use electro stim and manipulation to get him feeling better. I think the traction comes a bit later once the back is looking better.

I will tell you what I have gone through recently. I am 50 yo, the last few years, I have been having bad back pain and sciatica down my left leg. I had a couple of epidurals, which helped for a while. About 1 1/2 years ago while doing some flooring work at my house, the pain I got put me in bed for weeks, I couldn't even stand or sit on the toilet. Went and had an MRI and found I have spinal stenosis and it was pinching my main nerve in my back. They wanted to do a double fusion on L3,4,5 to stablize the back. heavy pain pills did nothing. I was told as we get to around my age this is quite common. While I was getting heart clearance for the surgery I decided to go to a back pain center. There they did decompresion, chiropractics, massage, laser therapy at each session and within 4 weeks I was so much better, I cancelled my surgery. I cannot over exert myself doing DYI projects anymore and I wear a soft lumbar brace whenever I do anything but I am off the pain pills and workout pretty strong. I actually have been concentrating on more lower back work to strengthen the lower back muscles for support.
As everyone said, get an MRI if you can, at least get an Xray to see what the situation is and go from there, it can be a simple fix or more complicated.

As an injury therapist, the most common cause of low back pain, especially when getting up and down as you describe, comes from tight hip flexors (psoas, IT bands, quads). Too tight for too long will cause pain... best to rule out disc, vertebrae, or nerve issues, but this can usually be remedied with therapeutic massage and chiropractic. Some frequent, consistent treatment in the beginning to get ahead of it, taper to maintenance. Self care is essential... stretching and foam rolling especially

A really good inversion table and doing the old P90X stretch works wonders for a lower back ache/pain

I constantly wrestle 300-1000 pound drums (with a dolly) of gas, paint, contaminated soils, heavy acids, antifreeze, etc, then sit and drive for 2-3 hours to a time, a lot of which are rough ass back roads, so I know all about back aches lol

A really good inversion table and doing the old P90X stretch works wonders for a lower back ache/pain

I constantly wrestle 300-1000 pound drums (with a dolly) of gas, paint, contaminated soils, heavy acids, antifreeze, etc, then sit and drive for 2-3 hours to a time, a lot of which are rough ass back roads, so I know all about back aches lol

Sounds like some tough work. I bet some days it is hard to go to the gym after doing that all day. The sitting in the car for that long all of the time probably has a big impact.

My father, almost 70 delt with back pain for many many years and I use to give him advice constantly and he never took it. I was visiting for a week and I finally got him to do a routine I had used for years that worked wonders. while there, each morning after getting out of bed we got on the floor and did a full stretching routine which focused on hamstrings and glutes. I even got him using a foam roller, pvc pipe actually. over a year later and he still does the routine almost daily, and little to no back pain whatsoever. :) Oh I had him get an inversion table too and that helped as well but he thinks the stretching of hams and glutes did wonders.

I think he should look at HOW he performs his job too. Incorrect posture and subpar ergonomics when working will result in chronic pain without a doubt.

Lots of great recommendations here!

MRI has to be a determining factor...
(I had a cyst that was found and removed)
Laser massage chiro inversion bpc157 glutathione
Used them all and have managed well.
Also, often over looked is core strength, it takes a load of stress off the back! No core all back, no good.

My father, almost 70 delt with back pain for many many years and I use to give him advice constantly and he never took it. I was visiting for a week and I finally got him to do a routine I had used for years that worked wonders. while there, each morning after getting out of bed we got on the floor and did a full stretching routine which focused on hamstrings and glutes. I even got him using a foam roller, pvc pipe actually. over a year later and he still does the routine almost daily, and little to no back pain whatsoever. :) Oh I had him get an inversion table too and that helped as well but he thinks the stretching of hams and glutes did wonders.
That's great.
Stretching the glutes and strengthening the core is key in alleviating some of the weight on your lower back. Also helps w your posture.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Professional Muscle mobile app

As 11sh11 said, it sounds like it might be a tight hip flexor issue that is contributing. Please have a physical therapist, chiropractor or corrective certified Trainer figure out what is tight. Oftentimes people with tight hip flexors think they have tight hamstrings (their abnormal pelvic tilt pulls the hams short) and they mistakenly focus too much on stretching the hams and make the problem worse. Again I can't tell from just a post, but it is a mistake I frequently encounter when it comes to clients with back pain.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131