advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Clean eating: what is it really and where's the science?

Mg180

Newbies
Seems everyone knows what clean eating is (how many times have you read "my diet's on point"?). But what is clean and where's the science to tell us what is and isn't clean? If clean is so important, shouldn't it be well defined? And backed by decent amount of science?

Btw, I'm not saying it isn't important. Just that clean seems to be a matter of personal opinion and bro-sci.

Seems everyone knows what clean eating is (how many times have you read "my diet's on point"?). But what is clean and where's the science to tell us what is and isn't clean? If clean is so important, shouldn't it be well defined? And backed by decent amount of science?

Btw, I'm not saying it isn't important. Just that clean seems to be a matter of personal opinion and bro-sci.

Do you want to minimize FAT-GAIN while simultaneouly maximizing MUSCLE-GAIN? If so, then the TYPE and quality of macronutrients that you consume is just as important as HOW MANY you consume..

Last edited:
Eat fast food and sugary junk food for a while...Get blood work done, and then you'll see where the science comes into play...Especially if you're on gear as well!

I appreciate your responses. Would you be willing to narrow the focus a bit? Eg I've trained for +20 years and am not dealing with whether I should eat a Big Mac. However, questions like white bread or not on which I hear various opinions.

To me, clean is food that has gone through the least amount of processing.

I appreciate your responses. Would you be willing to narrow the focus a bit? Eg I've trained for +20 years and am not dealing with whether I should eat a Big Mac. However, questions like white bread or not on which I hear various opinions.

Eating WHITE BREAD, instead of rye or whole wheat, will make a HUGE difference in body composition--over time.

So on your mind, the issue isn't what is eaten but how "unnatural" it is.

Eat fast food and sugary junk food for a while...Get blood work done, and then you'll see where the science comes into play...Especially if you're on gear as well!

Bio, it seems that reality is at odds with what seems to be logic. Remember last year (or the year before) that school teacher who ate twinkies and doritos for the majority of his diet and he actually lost weight and his lipids improved. I believe Skip ran a test (of sorts) with some similarities and found close to the same end result.

AFA being on gear, well they screw up your lipids so you have to adjust your diet accordingly to try and make up for the shift. That's something that needs to be accounted for.

So on your mind, the issue isn't what is eaten but how "unnatural" it is.

No, it's about QUALITY fats, carbs, and amino acids;

The carbs from WHITE bread are not the same as the carbs from RYE.

The fats from EGGS are not the same as the fat from CRISCO.

The amino acids from grass-fed STEAK are not the same as the amino acids from TACO BELL BEEF.

You have some research to do, my friend..

The amino acids from grass-fed STEAK are not the same as the amino acids from TACO BELL BEEF.[/B]

You have some research to do, my friend..

Grass fed beef can be shitty. Grass-finished beef is the good stuff.

So I have believed all that BigN, for years. I read often the advice to eat white bread, or rice, or beef, or etc by guys who make themselves sound experienced. Eg white stuff digests more quickly or restores depleted liver and muscle glocogen.

good question. to me, i think, once everything's all loaded in yr stomach, glycemic index goes the fuck out the window. glycemic load may still matter, but, fats with "fast carbs" slows digestion, no? carb molecules,protein molecules, fat molecules, all the same once digested, so i don't see the difference eating say, white rice with chicken and veggies with some butter or oil, versus brown rice with the same. fat and protein helps slow insulin response, so simple carbs, slow carbs....what's the big deal.

It is really highly subjective as what one considers clean and what isnt.

A good starting point are books like why we get fat, protein power, paleo diet, omnivore dillemna, primal blueprint & good calorie, bad calorie. Some of the books are a little stricter than others and try to make you view things as black and white but that really isnt the case. I would suggest to read to get a base understanding and then experiment with yourself by cutting out certain foods and see how you progress

Eating WHITE BREAD, instead of rye or whole wheat, will make a HUGE difference in body composition--over time.

No it doesnt (not a profound difference at least)

Grass fed beef can be shitty. Grass-finished beef is the good stuff.

YES!

Many people dont realize this whole organic free range stuff has turned into a very profitable business and lots of big food corporations are taking advantage of this. The term "free range" or "organic" means very little anymore. Buying locally is the only real way to ensure you are getting quality food.

Omnivores dilemma addresses this issue very well and is a great read.

Last edited:
Eating clean:
- Eat nutrient dense food.
- Avoid trans fats and oxidated fats.
- Consume a good balance of omega 6s and omega 3s.
- Don't eat too many simple carbs.
- Make sure you get enough protein, carbs, and fats.

Some people take eating "clean" too far and end up following retarded diets. You don't have to avoid fat like the plague and you also can eat some simple sugars throughout the day. Yes, you can eat a tasty and "clean" diet.

You don't have to avoid fat like the plague and you also can eat some simple sugars throughout the day. Yes, you can eat a tasty and "clean" diet.

It always surprises me the demonizing view people still have on dietary fats despite the total lack of evidence to support it

Eating clean:
- Eat nutrient dense food.
- Avoid trans fats and oxidated fats.
- Consume a good balance of omega 6s and omega 3s.
- Don't eat too many simple carbs.
- Make sure you get enough protein, carbs, and fats.

Some people take eating "clean" too far and end up following retarded diets. You don't have to avoid fat like the plague and you also can eat some simple sugars throughout the day. Yes, you can eat a tasty and "clean" diet.

right here, as succinctly as possible, this pretty much covers it IMO

o/t can they call it grass fed if it's grain finished? mother fuckers if whole foods is messing with me.....

Yes

The grass fed label only means they met USDA standards (which doesnt mean much) for being considered grass fed. What this means is cattle could have been fed grain nearly their entire lives. They can start out by eating grass and then be sent to an industrial feedlot where they spend the last few months of their lives being finished on grain and then are able to be labeled grass fed. Some are even feeding feedlot-confined animals with hay and corn stalks and other agricultural leftovers, and labeling them as "grass-fed." The cattle industry is HUGE and their lobbying power is ridiclous!

Again local is always better and usually cheaper than whole foods BTW.

good question. to me, i think, once everything's all loaded in yr stomach, glycemic index goes the fuck out the window. glycemic load may still matter, but, fats with "fast carbs" slows digestion, no? carb molecules,protein molecules, fat molecules, all the same once digested, so i don't see the difference eating say, white rice with chicken and veggies with some butter or oil, versus brown rice with the same. fat and protein helps slow insulin response, so simple carbs, slow carbs....what's the big deal.

Fats are LIPIDS, and not all lipids are the same, NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Same for AMINO ACIDS; there are 21 amino acids (9 Essential Amino Acids) and each protein source has a very different ratio. BEEF is different from chicken, which is different from eggs, which is different from fish.

Carbs, depending on the glycemic index, will have varying effects on blood glucose and insulin.

You have no idea what you're talking about, sorry.

If you've been doing this 20 years, and eating clean is bro science, post your pics and you can end the argument before it even started!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear