over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Coaches are a waste of money?

I hired shelby for a while. Gone alone now for financial reasons. Although I do my macros differently now I've gone alone to get more carbs in my life i nlearned how to properly structure a diet, when to make changes etc and apply principles I learnt from shelby. Thanks to the lessons that will stay with me life I finally feel I have complete control over my body comp. Money well spent imo

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

One of things that makes me the most happy is when someone finished a program and says "man I get it now, I can tell how to change things for me". That is what it is all about!

But why the need to throw my name in there? Really?

My question also?

John I find you one of the most humbling gentleman on the boards. I don't believe I've ever seen you speak out of context to belittle anyone's character.

John, I find your threads packed filled with tired and true knowledge. Don't let the dirty water soil the nature of your thread.

Last edited:
I've always done my own prep, but after 5 competitions, if I could go back, I'd spend the money and save myself the trouble of making all the mistakes along the way. And after being here over 10 years, and seeing plenty of coaches, I'd definitely go with John. If not John, I'd pick Shelby. John or Shelby :D

My question also?

John I find you one of the most humbling gentleman on the boards. I don't believe I've ever seen you speak out of context to belittle anyone's character.

John, I find your threads packed filled with tired and true knowledge. Don't let the dirty water soil the nature of your thread.

Thank you Stewie! I needed to hear that. Message received!

JM

I don't compete, but I've used Shelby and am currently using one of John's 12 week ass kicking programs...just stretched it out because we're having soooo much fun with it.. the training style and combinations are incredible and he keeps it interesting. Getting some really nice gains and saving my joints in this 48 year old body at the same time. :)
Shelby schooled me with the nutrition and now John with his training...great combination of guys in my opinion, and money well spent.

Last edited:
I hired Shelby at the first of the year and was shocked about how little I actually knew about diet and training, He taught me a ton of information about macros and training that I never knew before, He helped me gain more weight in 3 months that I did on my own in a year. I would love to have a coach again when I have the time to focus on it.

How many of you who DONT compete have hired a Coach to help out along the way?

I do. He is not a sponsor here so wont drop his name (he is an active member however and his Peri-workout nutrition articles are great!)

It keeps me motivated to know that each week I have to check in with pics and measurements so I stay on the right path.

This is an awesome post.

A lot of people told he when I hired John that I wasted my money.....so wrong.

People said the same thing when I hired Shelby for a 12 week nutrition plan. Wrong.

In those 12 weeks with Shelby, I progressed and learned more in those 12 weeks than I had in the past year. Wish I could have kept going, but being a non-competitor I am doing things on my own until I decide to compete. He made things so simple, and I was able to learn to read my body and make changes when needed and not just for the sake of making changes.

I'm on my 3rd program with John....Over these programs, I have learned so much about exercise sequencing, rep ranges, and training intensity. I look forward to every workout because I know it will be brutal.

One of things that makes me the most happy is when someone finished a program and says "man I get it now, I can tell how to change things for me". That is what it is all about!

Right on.

This has been my goal for 20+ years now of working with folks.

Give a man a fish and he's fed for a day. Teach him to fish and he can feed himself for a lifetime.

Beyond that, sometimes those fisherman return with fish for me, as well. (I learn a good bit from my clients, be the lesson an intended one or not... LOL :) )

-S

Hiring a coach is definitely worth it.

A coach takes out the guess work and safe you allot of time, money and effort wasted.

For my prep next year, i'll definitely hire a coach.

From my experience, it is mentally challenging thinking straight when u're at a very low BF%. Your mind play games with u. That's why u need a coach to guide u.

i am stealing this... but will credit you lol

I hear people all the time saying that coaches are a waste of money. Well many of us who coach, and who do well, are pretty good BECAUSE of all the dumb stuff we have done and LEARNED from. Now if you want to repeat all the dumb stuff, go for it, but when you hit your 40's like me, you WILL think to yourself, man I wish I would have known to do "x" or "y" when I was younger.

Listen to your body and learn, but geemony don't think it's necessary to make a million mistakes as part of your development.

So what are 5 dumb things I did as an example right off the top of my head:

1) Thinking that the answer to "hugeness" was just powershoving calories with no regard for digestion or nutrient content. A calorie is a calorie = garbage thinking.

2) Training the exact same movements done the exact same way every week and only looking for weight increases with no regard for quality of muscle contraction. Keep it simple mantra (do the same thing over and over)... not good for joint health.

3) Falling for supplement scams. I take very few supplements now, but what I take works. When I was younger all it took was an ad with a "university study" that showed 543% increase in hypertrophy and man I was on it.

4) Copying the training routines and nutritional programs of the genetic elite. Well if Lee Haney did this for back, it must work for me right? Wrong. What he did worked for him, not me. Think outside of the box and learn from those who aren't genetic freaks that would have 30 inch legs from mowing the lawn. I consider myself to have average genetics and have had to fight for every ounce of muscle I have for 28 years. This didn't come from doing what everyone else was doing.

5) Training without a partner because it would slow me down. A great training partner will help you more than any technique or training program out there. A great training partner is worth his/her weight in gold.

I have considered hiring a coach to help me put some weight on, but im a very picky eater so id be kind of embarrassed id be a "difficult" client. Right now my diet is completely shitty and I still stay pretty lean, so I always wonder what a coach would have me eating to help put on weight. I've also never looked into the cost of hiring someone, I just kind of assumed its expensive so ive never pursued it :/

maybe it is time to get some help. been stuck around 200lbs at 5'10 for awhile now although my body is continuing to look better.

fitnesskatz

I hear people all the time saying that coaches are a waste of money. Well many of us who coach, and who do well, are pretty good BECAUSE of all the dumb stuff we have done and LEARNED from. Now if you want to repeat all the dumb stuff, go for it, but when you hit your 40's like me, you WILL think to yourself, man I wish I would have known to do "x" or "y" when I was younger.

Listen to your body and learn, but geemony don't think it's necessary to make a million mistakes as part of your development.

So what are 5 dumb things I did as an example right off the top of my head:

1) Thinking that the answer to "hugeness" was just powershoving calories with no regard for digestion or nutrient content. A calorie is a calorie = garbage thinking.

2) Training the exact same movements done the exact same way every week and only looking for weight increases with no regard for quality of muscle contraction. Keep it simple mantra (do the same thing over and over)... not good for joint health.

3) Falling for supplement scams. I take very few supplements now, but what I take works. When I was younger all it took was an ad with a "university study" that showed 543% increase in hypertrophy and man I was on it.

4) Copying the training routines and nutritional programs of the genetic elite. Well if Lee Haney did this for back, it must work for me right? Wrong. What he did worked for him, not me. Think outside of the box and learn from those who aren't genetic freaks that would have 30 inch legs from mowing the lawn. I consider myself to have average genetics and have had to fight for every ounce of muscle I have for 28 years. This didn't come from doing what everyone else was doing.

5) Training without a partner because it would slow me down. A great training partner will help you more than any technique or training program out there. A great training partner is worth his/her weight in gold.

i think having a coach is a smart move for someone who is really serious,,,and prob those that say its a waste of money doesnt have any or just cant afford a coach like yourself with proven results,,,i mean its been proven to work

Hiring a good coach is more than worth it for me especially. I work shift work im out of the house for 16hrs, I have two little boys and a wife to keep happy, I cook/prep all my own meals. I know how to diet down, Ive coached many Champions myself, but when it comes to doing my own diet I get stressed out just thinking about it. With my hectic life, the last thing I want to do is make some last minute adjustments and screw up my prep, and thats exactly what I would do had I not used a coach and its paid off so far.

I have considered hiring a coach to help me put some weight on, but im a very picky eater so id be kind of embarrassed id be a "difficult" client. Right now my diet is completely shitty and I still stay pretty lean, so I always wonder what a coach would have me eating to help put on weight. I've also never looked into the cost of hiring someone, I just kind of assumed its expensive so ive never pursued it :/

maybe it is time to get some help. been stuck around 200lbs at 5'10 for awhile now although my body is continuing to look better.

coaches will usually give you the option of telling you exactly what to eat, or giving you macronutrient breakdowns for the day

Hey John as soon as I have more time to train I would like to hire you and see what training and diet techniques you have, If I recall didn't you have Colitis or some other intestinal problem, cause I have colitis and would like to see somebody else's diet with a similar condition.

Last edited:
personally i feel hiring a coach atleast once or twice (a good one) just to learn from and see what can be done with your body is worth it

the other would feel good knowing if you stick to what your told, youll end up looking the way u want (provided its the right coach), nothing worse then dieting and training hard for 12 weeks and not coming up the way u intended

^Perfect response! If I would have hired a coach a few years back, then I would have finished my goal and competed for the first time ever:banghead:

My question also?

Yeah in a sport filled with two faced back stabbing pricks, someone like John is a rarity. Never have I seen him speak down to anyone, even when they have done the same to him. He always takes the high road, and I really don't know how he does it at times.

John seems like the type of guy who would give you the shirt off his back, if you ever meet him (even if its to big to wear;).

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131