over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

collar bone hurts when doing dips

Jman9229

Registered
alright so I rarely do dips for triceps. Sometimes I'll start chest off with them, leaning forward, for 15 easy reps to just get a good stretch.

I tried doing them yesterday for triceps (more upright) and my collar bone started to kill! A really sharp pain.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solution to it? Or is it just how my body is/will be?

Thanks

alright so I rarely do dips for triceps. Sometimes I'll start chest off with them, leaning forward, for 15 easy reps to just get a good stretch.

I tried doing them yesterday for triceps (more upright) and my collar bone started to kill! A really sharp pain.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solution to it? Or is it just how my body is/will be?

Thanks

I'm no dr. But don't do dips. Plenty of other exercises. It does look bad ass though when u have 4 45lb plats on a belt and rip off multiple set though!

I'm no dr. But don't do dips. Plenty of other exercises. It does look bad ass though when u have 4 45lb plats on a belt and rip off multiple set though!

true. I haven't done them in a long time (for triceps).

Has your collar bone ever been broken? It doesnt take much to break that bone and alot of times after broken it doesnt set properly

Last edited:
I bet the muscles that pull your shoulders down are weak in that position allowing your shoulders to hike up and put pressure on the collar bone. Try holding your self on the dip bar upright like your are aiming for a tricep dip. Then focus keeping your shoulders down and hold the position. Dont even do the dip. Just appreciate the muscles that pull the shoulders down. If you can do the dip without your shoulders hiking up while focusing on this, I bet it will keep your collar bone from hurting.

If this doesnt help. See a doc. And do physical therapy.

Has your collar bone ever been broken? It doesnt take much to break that bone and alot of times after broken it doesnt set properly

not that I know of. I don't think I ever really injured it either.

I bet the muscles that pull your shoulders down are weak in that position allowing your shoulders to hike up and put pressure on the collar bone. Try holding your self on the dip bar upright like your are aiming for a tricep dip. Then focus keeping your shoulders down and hold the position. Dont even do the dip. Just appreciate the muscles that pull the shoulders down. If you can do the dip without your shoulders hiking up while focusing on this, I bet it will keep your collar bone from hurting.

If this doesnt help. See a doc. And do physical therapy.

good point, I usually have a hard time keepin my shoulders from shrugging, I really have to focus on them not shrugging. but I think it still happened. I will try though, just to double check.

thanks

your Pectoralis Minor attaches to your collar bone then on about your 5 rib so i am betting that you are loading that more then it is used to.

Not sure exactly where your pain is but could be an acromioclavicular impingement. Is it at the end of your clavicle close to your shoulder ? Treatment us immobilization, Cortisone or surgery, it has a high rate of complete recovery and one of the few injury's that physical therapy only worsens. Good luck!

**broken link removed**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure exactly where your pain is but could be an acromioclavicular impingement. Is it at the end of your clavicle close to your shoulder ? Treatment us immobilization, Cortisone or surgery, it has a high rate of complete recovery and one of the few injury's that physical therapy only worsens. Good luck!

**broken link removed**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks! it feels like its right in the middle of my left collar bone. probably closer to my neck

Unless you have a previous condition, there's a big chance you're not doing it right.
I myself have had pain in my collarbone (that took a lot of time to get it to go away + I don't do dips anymore) because I was doing it wrong and pushed through the pain when I shouldn't have.

The Position: Part 6—The Bar Dip by Kelly Starrett and Carl Paoli - CrossFit Journal

Ignore the "crossfit" of it all as kelly starrett really knows his stuff & if for the sake of nothing else, Try it as he says and see how you feel.

Keep your elbows closer to your body

If I try exercises that are awkward or uncomfortable I will remove them from my regimen and find something else. Another idea before ditching them is working on form of the exercise.

If I try exercises that are awkward or uncomfortable I will remove them from my regimen and find something else. Another idea before ditching them is working on form of the exercise.

I've learned that my body just isn't made for doing certain exercises. Through trial and error over years I have eliminated exercises which bother my joints, and can potentially cause injuries. Unfortunately enough this includes dips and flyes for me.

Another dip related note: I will do what I call "scap dips" still occasionally. This is just keeping my elbows locked, and almost shrugging up and down concentrating on scapular movement/mobilization.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear