over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Combining fish oil with olive oil for reduced inflammation

johnjuanb1

Featured Member / Sponsor Rep
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Sponsors
For us old guys anything that helps reduce joint pain is a plus. Studies show combining fish oil and olive oil reduces inflammation better than use of either one alone. Thank to the advice of Elvia I’ve finally been consuming more healthy fats, all from oils, to help my knees, elbows, and wrists which tend to ache. I also added THC/CBD. The tissue in my right elbow is always inflamed but it’s been much better since adding the aforementioned supplements. My 3 protein drinks now consist of:
50 grams whey isolate/concentrate
1 cup quick oats
3-4 grams cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
3-4 grams fish oil Icelandic

I also added fruits thanks to Elvia’s advice: blackberries, strawberries, apples. Jazz apples are my favorite! They’re very crisp in texture.

Supplementation of fish oil and olive oil in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Randomized controlled trial

Berbert AA, et al. Nutrition. 2005.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: This study evaluated whether supplementation with olive oil could improve clinical and laboratory parameters of disease activity in patients who had rheumatoid arthritis and were using fish oil supplements.

METHODS: Forty-three patients (34 female, 9 male; mean age = 49 +/- 19y) were investigated in a parallel randomized design. Patients were assigned to one of three groups. In addition to their usual medication, the first group (G1) received placebo (soy oil), the second group (G2) received fish oil omega-3 fatty acids (3 g/d), and the third group (G3) received fish oil omega-3 fatty acids (3 g/d) and 9.6 mL of olive oil. Disease activity was measured by clinical and laboratory indicators at the beginning of the study and after 12 and 24 wk. Patients' satisfaction in activities of daily living was also measured.

RESULTS: There was a statistically significant improvement (P < 0.05) in G2 and G3 in relation to G1 with respect to joint pain intensity, right and left handgrip strength after 12 and 24 wk, duration of morning stiffness, onset of fatigue, Ritchie's articular index for pain joints after 24 wk, ability to bend down to pick up clothing from the floor, and getting in and out of a car after 24 wk. G3, but not G2, in relation to G1 showed additional improvements with respect to duration of morning stiffness after 12 wk, patient global assessment after 12 and 24 wk, ability to turn faucets on and off after 24 wk, and rheumatoid factor after 24 wk. In addition, G3 showed a significant improvement in patient global assessment in relation to G2 after 12 wk.

CONCLUSIONS: Ingestion of fish oil omega-3 fatty acids relieved several clinical parameters used in the present study. However, patients showed a more precocious and accentuated improvement when fish oil supplements were used in combination with olive oil.

Man you really are afraid of your fats haha. I expected a tbs of olive oil in your 3 shakes not just 3-4 grams lol. Cool study though, I always add olive oil, flax, or avacado oil to my shakes and take way to much fish oil.

Elvia gave great advice! Good fats and berries are the keys to great health. Good study. The trick is finding a quality fish oil and EVOO. The problem is many out there are trash/fake.

Elvia gave great advice! Good fats and berries are the keys to great health. Good study. The trick is finding a quality fish oil and EVOO. The problem is many out there are trash/fake.

The vitaminshoppe brand fish oil is tested so no mercury. It’s supposedly derived from Icelandic fish where there aren’t factories blowing pollutants in the sea for the little fishies to consume. 🐠 🐟

My understanding is that traders joes brand evoo is highly rated. Especially the California reserve variety

My understanding is that traders joes brand evoo is highly rated. Especially the California reserve variety

Costo has a good one as well. I can't remember the brand but it's in a glass bottle, has the harvest date on it and the village that it's sourced in.

The vitaminshoppe brand fish oil is tested so no mercury. It’s supposedly derived from Icelandic fish where there aren’t factories blowing pollutants in the sea for the little fishies to consume. 🐠 🐟

The thing is the EPA/DHA ratio needs to be as close to 1:1 as possible. There can be plenty of tested products that are exactly what it says on the label but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s optimal. I’m not talking about the brand you speak of which I’m not familiar with, but it’s more of a general statement in regards to fish oil supplements.

Correct, as is the Kirkland Signature brand and California Olive Ranch

For shakes I prefer macadamia nut oil as opposed to olive oil, not only for taste reasons, but also, if I remember correctly, macadamia nut oil has a 1:1 ration of omega 6 to omega 3 fats as opposed to olive oil which is close to 10:1.

So you'll get more of the anti-inflammatory properties from macadamia nut oil as opposed to olive oil.

For shakes I prefer macadamia nut oil as opposed to olive oil, not only for taste reasons, but also, if I remember correctly, macadamia nut oil has a 1:1 ration of omega 6 to omega 3 fats as opposed to olive oil which is close to 10:1.

So you'll get more of the anti-inflammatory properties from macadamia nut oil as opposed to olive oil.

Macadamia nut oil sounds tasty!!!

I thoroughly enjoy it. And it tastes waaaaayyyyy better mixed in a shake than olive oil! I'm Greek, and even I have a hard time with olive oil in whey...

Macadamia nut oil sounds tasty!!!

Just noticed this :) That's great news. I would also recommend some whole food fat sources if possible. One of the best are avocado's. Some don't like the taste but if you add them to shakes it gives them a creamy texture. I agree about the macadamia nut oil as well. Species nutrition do a very good one and it improves the taste of many meals. You can also buy macadamia nuts and my fav are cashews.

You have to be careful with olive oil and the really good stuff tends to be very expensive but it's great everything combined is helping you out. Krill oil is also a great source for EPA and DHA. I take 2 krill and 2 fish oil a few times per day now. Berries are a superfood in every sense and very low carbs so can even be used by guys who are dieting. It's a great way to add fruit into your diet without too much sugar plus they taste amazing. Even the higher carb fruits (such as apples and pineapple) would be great for you as you eat so clean and are often very depleted so they will give you a good mental boost. Fresh pineapple (not tinned) is also great at aiding protein digestion amongst many things.

For us old guys anything that helps reduce joint pain is a plus. Studies show combining fish oil and olive oil reduces inflammation better than use of either one alone. Thank to the advice of Elvia I’ve finally been consuming more healthy fats, all from oils, to help my knees, elbows, and wrists which tend to ache. I also added THC/CBD. The tissue in my right elbow is always inflamed but it’s been much better since adding the aforementioned supplements. My 3 protein drinks now consist of:
50 grams whey isolate/concentrate
1 cup quick oats
3-4 grams cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
3-4 grams fish oil Icelandic

I also added fruits thanks to Elvia’s advice: blackberries, strawberries, apples. Jazz apples are my favorite! They’re very crisp in texture.

Supplementation of fish oil and olive oil in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Randomized controlled trial

Berbert AA, et al. Nutrition. 2005.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: This study evaluated whether supplementation with olive oil could improve clinical and laboratory parameters of disease activity in patients who had rheumatoid arthritis and were using fish oil supplements.

METHODS: Forty-three patients (34 female, 9 male; mean age = 49 +/- 19y) were investigated in a parallel randomized design. Patients were assigned to one of three groups. In addition to their usual medication, the first group (G1) received placebo (soy oil), the second group (G2) received fish oil omega-3 fatty acids (3 g/d), and the third group (G3) received fish oil omega-3 fatty acids (3 g/d) and 9.6 mL of olive oil. Disease activity was measured by clinical and laboratory indicators at the beginning of the study and after 12 and 24 wk. Patients' satisfaction in activities of daily living was also measured.

RESULTS: There was a statistically significant improvement (P < 0.05) in G2 and G3 in relation to G1 with respect to joint pain intensity, right and left handgrip strength after 12 and 24 wk, duration of morning stiffness, onset of fatigue, Ritchie's articular index for pain joints after 24 wk, ability to bend down to pick up clothing from the floor, and getting in and out of a car after 24 wk. G3, but not G2, in relation to G1 showed additional improvements with respect to duration of morning stiffness after 12 wk, patient global assessment after 12 and 24 wk, ability to turn faucets on and off after 24 wk, and rheumatoid factor after 24 wk. In addition, G3 showed a significant improvement in patient global assessment in relation to G2 after 12 wk.

CONCLUSIONS: Ingestion of fish oil omega-3 fatty acids relieved several clinical parameters used in the present study. However, patients showed a more precocious and accentuated improvement when fish oil supplements were used in combination with olive oil.

My computer won't let me like any posts. I like your shakes. I have been doing the same but also been rotating with sweet potatoe powder which is amazing. I have a banana fudge beef isolate powder that tastes great with it. I also have gluten free oats and activated barley powders to rotate to but prefer oats or sweet potatoe.

The thing is the EPA/DHA ratio needs to be as close to 1:1 as possible. There can be plenty of tested products that are exactly what it says on the label but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s optimal. I’m not talking about the brand you speak of which I’m not familiar with, but it’s more of a general statement in regards to fish oil supplements.

EPA/DHA doesn't need to be 1:1 in terms of inflammation reduction. It's the EPA that significantly reduces pro-inflammatory cytokine activity (0.4-2.2g/d). So much so that EPA is now a frontrunner in cancer cachexia treatment (see ESPEN, Cancer., 2017)

EPA/DHA doesn't need to be 1:1 in terms of inflammation reduction. It's the EPA that significantly reduces pro-inflammatory cytokine activity (0.4-2.2g/d). So much so that EPA is now a frontrunner in cancer cachexia treatment (see ESPEN, Cancer., 2017)

I am not sure whether you have seen this or not
Eat Your Fish Oil and Digest it, Too (Unoxidized!) | DHA:EPA Ratio of 1:1 Minimizes Oxidation, Maximizes Uptake | Plus: Fishes that Come Close are Sardines, Rainbow Trout, ... - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Maybe 1:1 isn't necessary for inflammation reduction perhaps?

My computer won't let me like any posts. I like your shakes. I have been doing the same but also been rotating with sweet potatoe powder which is amazing. I have a banana fudge beef isolate powder that tastes great with it. I also have gluten free oats and activated barley powders to rotate to but prefer oats or sweet potatoe.

I’m getting lean faster since adding fruit.

That's a good and interesting read, cheers.

I was speaking in terms of pro-inflammatory cytokine reduction. So at EPA doses of 0.4-2.2g/d the cytokines that mediate subsequent pro-inflammatory cascades, TNF, IL-1 and IL-6, were significantly inhibited in patients with cancer cachexia**. EPA inhibition of TNF also caused the downregulation of MURF-1, which lead to a higher retained level of fat free mass in these patients. In one RCT of CC patients, these effects were observed in the absence of DHA entirely. Perhaps an even greater effect would be observed if the researchers were to offer a 1:1 EPA/DHA ratio.

Obviously, we are bodybuilders and not CC sufferers, but the point is, if EPA is able to exert such powerful anti-inflammatory effects in CC patients, EPA use in non-CC individuals is also likely extremely beneficial (and we know that it is).

**for those who don't know, CC is characterised by rapid muscle/adipose atrophy and a dramatic increase in resting energy expenditure. Enteral/parenteral nutritional therapy is ineffective as is current pharmacological interventions. EPA use is one area that has shown some promise in slowing CC via an anti-inflammatory mechanism.

Great read….I typically use either EVOO or EVCO with my Fish oil.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131