YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Compared results between Niaspan and regular Niacin and is it worth the extra money?

After 3 months on Niaspan my labs came back today. HDL went from 31 to 33 :(

My liver values were also elevated. I (and my doc) suspects the niacin is the culprit. (However i am also on some nolva, clomid, and prami but i dont think these are the cause)

NIACIN SIMPLIFIED

Niacin Differences: If you are using niacin supplements to lower cholesterol levels, you may have noticed that there are many different types of niacin. All forms of niacin are not created equally, so which form of niacin supplements are best for lowering cholesterol?
Nicotinic acid is a form of niacin that helps in lowering your cholesterol. Not only is nicotinic acid important because it targets HDL, LDL, and triglycerides, it is also available without a prescription. You might have noticed that there are different forms of nicotinic acid out there: immediate-release, sustained-release, and extended-release. There is a difference between them -- although they work in the same manner to lower your cholesterol, they mainly differ by the rate that nicotinic acid is released into your body.

Immediate-Release Nicotinic Acid (Usually Capsule) Most Effective, Least Liver Toxicity
Immediate-release (IR) nicotinic acid, also known as "fast-release" nicotinic acid, is a form of nicotinic acid that is released immediately into the blood. Because the whole dose is introduced into the blood at one time, this form of nicotinic acid is also most commonly associated with niacin-induced side effects, such as flushing, warmth and itching. Sometimes, a bottle of niacin may not state if it is an “immediate-release” or a “sustained-release” product. If it does not state which form of nicotinic acid is in the bottle, it may be safe to assume that it is an immediate-release form.

Sustained-Release Nicotinic Acid (Usually Tablet or Slo-Niacin) Least Effective, Most Liver Toxicity
Sustained-release (SR) nicotinic acid, also known as "timed-release" nicotinic acid, is designed to release nicotinic acid over a period of time into your body, rather than introducing the whole dose of nicotinic acid. It can be purchased over the counter. Although you might still experience niacin-induced side effects, they are not as bad as the side effects experienced with the immediate-release form of nicotinic acid.
While this type of nicotinic acid lowers the severity of side effects, individuals taking sustained-release nicotinic acid are also at an increased risk of liver toxicity. Liver toxicity is rarely seen in the immediate-release and extended-release preparations. In order to the incidence of liver toxicity, you might want to take an extended-release form of nicotinic acid.

Extended-Release Nicotinic Acid (Niaspan) Moderately Effective, Moderate Liver Toxicity
Extended-release (ER) nicotinic acid fits somewhere in between the immediate-release and sustained-release forms of nicotinic acid. Its release into the body is a little slower than the immediate-release form, yet faster than the sustained-release form of nicotinic acid. Side effects still exist, but are not as severe as the immediate-release form. Additionally, there are no problems of liver toxicity associated with this form of niacin as seen with the sustained-release form. This type of nicotinic acid is available under the trade nameNiaspan, which can only be obtained by a prescription from your healthcare provider.

NIACIN SIMPLIFIED

Niacin Differences: If you are using niacin supplements to lower cholesterol levels, you may have noticed that there are many different types of niacin. All forms of niacin are not created equally, so which form of niacin supplements are best for lowering cholesterol?
Nicotinic acid is a form of niacin that helps in lowering your cholesterol. Not only is nicotinic acid important because it targets HDL, LDL, and triglycerides, it is also available without a prescription. You might have noticed that there are different forms of nicotinic acid out there: immediate-release, sustained-release, and extended-release. There is a difference between them -- although they work in the same manner to lower your cholesterol, they mainly differ by the rate that nicotinic acid is released into your body.

Immediate-Release Nicotinic Acid (Usually Capsule) Most Effective, Least Liver Toxicity
Immediate-release (IR) nicotinic acid, also known as "fast-release" nicotinic acid, is a form of nicotinic acid that is released immediately into the blood. Because the whole dose is introduced into the blood at one time, this form of nicotinic acid is also most commonly associated with niacin-induced side effects, such as flushing, warmth and itching. Sometimes, a bottle of niacin may not state if it is an “immediate-release” or a “sustained-release” product. If it does not state which form of nicotinic acid is in the bottle, it may be safe to assume that it is an immediate-release form.

Sustained-Release Nicotinic Acid (Usually Tablet or Slo-Niacin) Least Effective, Most Liver Toxicity
Sustained-release (SR) nicotinic acid, also known as "timed-release" nicotinic acid, is designed to release nicotinic acid over a period of time into your body, rather than introducing the whole dose of nicotinic acid. It can be purchased over the counter. Although you might still experience niacin-induced side effects, they are not as bad as the side effects experienced with the immediate-release form of nicotinic acid.
While this type of nicotinic acid lowers the severity of side effects, individuals taking sustained-release nicotinic acid are also at an increased risk of liver toxicity. Liver toxicity is rarely seen in the immediate-release and extended-release preparations. In order to the incidence of liver toxicity, you might want to take an extended-release form of nicotinic acid.

Extended-Release Nicotinic Acid (Niaspan) Moderately Effective, Moderate Liver Toxicity
Extended-release (ER) nicotinic acid fits somewhere in between the immediate-release and sustained-release forms of nicotinic acid. Its release into the body is a little slower than the immediate-release form, yet faster than the sustained-release form of nicotinic acid. Side effects still exist, but are not as severe as the immediate-release form. Additionally, there are no problems of liver toxicity associated with this form of niacin as seen with the sustained-release form. This type of nicotinic acid is available under the trade nameNiaspan, which can only be obtained by a prescription from your healthcare provider.

Where did you get that information from?

I've heard Niaspan to be the most liver toxic. With the sustaned release 2nd.

This doesnt make sense. No way the FDA could approve slo niacin esp sold otc if it was liver toxic. Im gonna get labwork a month into it to really see.

After 3 months on Niaspan my labs came back today. HDL went from 31 to 33 :(

My liver values were also elevated. I (and my doc) suspects the niacin is the culprit. (However i am also on some nolva, clomid, and prami but i dont think these are the cause)

Not sure bout the clomid and prami but nolva can cause liver issues.

I was suggested this about 7-8 yrs ago, and it always worked well for me. Taking regular aspirin 20-30 min before using niacin reduces, or even eliminates the flushing/warmth/itchiness. Im not sure if any of you are restricted from using aspirin, but if not give this technique a try. CJ

I was suggested this about 7-8 yrs ago, and it always worked well for me. Taking regular aspirin 20-30 min before using niacin reduces, or even eliminates the flushing/warmth/itchiness. Im not sure if any of you are restricted from using aspirin, but if not give this technique a try. CJ

Very true. Benadryl works too if it doesn't make you drowsey.

Last edited:
only take flush niacin. It has the greatest effect with the least impact on the liver. take 500mgs in the morning and at night. Your liver values will remain totally fine and your lipids will improve dramatically! Niacin is essential to any cycle IMO.

only take flush niacin. It has the greatest effect with the least impact on the liver. take 500mgs in the morning and at night. Your liver values will remain totally fine and your lipids will improve dramatically! Niacin is essential to any cycle IMO.

Thank you. People need good information. Niacin is a must on cycle!

I was "told" antihistamines would negate the positive effects. Don't quote me on that tho.

Nope. Niacin flush is caused by a large flow of blood to capilaries that don't normally see much. This causes a histamine release. The benadryl controls this. I personally like asprin, but both work.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws