over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Confused about DHT

Swaglantern

Registered
I've read as much as I can on this, and I think I've become more confused.
When we are in our 20's we are producing as much test as we are going to naturally - which makes sense, and yet most people in their 20's aren't going bald - if you are then it's obvious that you will be bald by the time you're forty if not earlier. Half of men in their forties have lost quite a bit of hair, and most if not all men will be quite thin by the time they hit 60. So why is it that if we are producing waay less test as we get older the affects of dht don't seem to correlate? If dht is what makes us strong, and hard -why is it that older men become more weak, and limp? Is this all just genetic happenstance, and there is no real idea on what does what?

Signed,

Confused....heheee

If it's in your genes to go bald your body does not need alot of DHT to make almost all your hair eventually fall out. My friend for instance only has hair loss when hes on cycle and none at all when hes off cycle. He probably doesnt have the genes for it or his hair loss will start later. I on the other hand only had a T level of 225 before I got on TRT and i was still going bald at 20.

I started balding at 17, if it's in the genes nothing will stop it...might as well embrace it!

What about the relationship to performance though? Many people have claimed that DHT blockers will screw up your cycle, but obviously we produce more dht as we get older - so why then are older men less virile, and less muscular?

What about the relationship to performance though? Many people have claimed that DHT blockers will screw up your cycle, but obviously we produce more dht as we get older - so why then are older men less virile, and less muscular?

DHT isnt all that anabolic and I was unaware that DHT increased with age. I always figured old men have less T which means less DHT. Im open to being wrong though. And finally, I think that hormones can only counteract older muscles and a older age somewhat. I doubt if we gave a 70 year old man a high test and DHT level that he would be anywhere near as strong as his 20 year old self with those same levels.

DHT isnt all that anabolic and I was unaware that DHT increased with age. I always figured old men have less T which means less DHT. Im open to being wrong though. And finally, I think that hormones can only counteract older muscles and a older age somewhat. I doubt if we gave a 70 year old man a high test and DHT level that he would be anywhere near as strong as his 20 year old self with those same levels.

You must also remember that most 70 year olds have beat up joints so that in itself doesn't allow them to lift heavy.

Estrogen

I was always under the impression, as men age T goes down due to E going up. But DHT goes up as well? how does this happen?

I think this is where the misunderstanding lies. It's about the number of DHT receptors in the scalp more than the level of DHT. People with the genes for it have more receptors in the scalp and and lose hair. People with fewer receptors lose less, or none. This is why shampoos like Nizoral tend to work decently.

So, the amount of DHT doesn't matter for hairloss, as we can see from people who have taken large doses of Masteron or Winnie and lose no hair. I'm like that. My hair grows faster on Winnie, gotta have it cut every ten days.

As to DHT as we age, I'd have to double check this, but generally, we produce less Test as we age. DHT and Estrogen are derived from Test. So the amount of DHT we have in our system, relates to this low level (should = lower DHT). Any issues with prostate and hairloss don't reflect a higher level of DHT as we age, but long term exposure over a lifetime to DHT/Estrogen + genes (receptor number and location).

As to Swag's question on performance, there could be a different ratio as we age. For example, a young person could have a T/E/DHT of 750/30/50. An old person may look like 250/50/50. DHT no higher, but only higher in ratio while Estrogen is higher and Test is lower.

Last edited:
DHT does not increase with age, it decreases, right along with testosterone. Estrogen may be elevated despite having low testosterone, due to environmental factors and estrogen build-up over many years, without being excreted.

Men lose hair because of the density of androgen receptors in the scalp tissues. men who have the gene, will indeed start losing their hair during puberty or shortly after, when hormones were elevated.

The effects of DHT are accumulative; they build as we age. So while there may not be any balding at age 25, it does not men that DHT has not already started having an effect on the hair follicles.

When DHT attaches to receptor sites in the scalp, it causes the hair follicles to shrink. This happens over time...not over night. DHT won't cause a hair to stop growing until the hair follicle has gotten small enough that the hair can no longer grow. This is why the hair strands will "thin" before they eventually stop growing altogether. The hair strands simply continue to get thinner and thinner over time until the hair strand no longer grows. This is why you don't see as many men in their 20's, despite producing greater amounts of DHT, losing as much hair as men in their 40's. It isn't that the DHT is not negatively affecting their hair, it is just that the life cycle of the hair follicle has not come to a end yet.

maybe its cuz im going bald and noticing everyone else who's bald, but..
when i was in my late teens/20's, there were hardly any guys my age balding.
now, i see a ton of younger guys going prematurely bald. makes me wonder if, as they say, hormones in food cause girls to hit puberty quicker, maybe the androgen-type hormones in animals are causing guys to bald quicker, as i do when i'm on cycle.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Urs
NapsGear