over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Contest Results - Live and Learn!

xcelbeyond

The "Elder" Mod
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I hope this post doesn't sound like a bunch of excuses. I hope others can share and "add" to my experiences.

Bottom line: 7 competitors showed up in my class, 9 were registered. This was the Masters 50 and in recent years they never had more than 3 or 4 competitors. I finished in sixth place. "I knew" from the way they "re-organized" the line-up at pre-judging that I didn't do as well as I hoped.

The class winner was Jerry Hogevoll (Hogie), an Author (he did write the book - actually 2 so far) and TV Show Host. I could tell that when he took his sweats off, he was the one to beat. He's won all of like the last nine contests he's entered. He's about 5'9-10" and about 175# but ripped to the bone.

Me, at 5'6" came in on contest day around 162#. The thing that I've NEVER been able to acheve at past competitions is that "hard/ripped" look - like fathead and Randy have!!!. This go around I was VERY PLEASED with what size I retained and had A LOT of separation in my legs, back shoulders and arms. Where I was lacking (and ALWAYS have) was not enough (and barely had "any") was my serratus, obliques and lower back. Since I didn't obtain that hard look, I know that I needed to drop the fat in those areas. Those areas didn't "look" fat, they just didn't have the separation or hardness.

I had professional pictures taken right after pre-judging and will post then after they're developed (sorry - I'm in no hurry to do this at this time). I'll post them on the board though - of course.

Now here's what REALLY made me feel good. Other competitiors were coming up to me and commenting on my conditioning - this has NEVER happened to me in the past. I talked quite a bit with Hogie (trying to key-in on his nutritional program) and he commented quite a bit on my physique. He asked me how big my arms were and I told him 17". He said damn, that's what his were and he's much taller than me. Other than Hogie, I probably had more size (considering height - guy staning next to me in the lineup was about 6'3") over the next 5 competitors, but they were MUCH MORE shredded except for #5 as the scorecard showed a "race" between him and me. He told me afterwards that he was amazed that he beat me.

Now place #2-4 were RIPPED. Like I said I definately had more "size" and they were all telling me so.

One of people working there stopped me (he had a good-looking gal with him) and he told her to look at my biceps. He was simply fascinated that I has such a "pronounced split" between the heads. EVERYONE commented on my arms! You've got to realize this used to be my WEAKEST LINK. I've worked very hard, especially on biceps to bring them up!

Wylde definately got me to drop water! The only problem is I had to be leaner to have had it be really effective. LIVE AND LEARN! Back to the drawing board - I may be "down" but I'm not "out!"

xcel

Xcell think of this my brother you are 50 whatever and you know what you are In the best shape of your life.

Holy shit how many people can say that???????

You were in the best shape EVER you won man.

If 10 guys came in who look like Arnold entered that author would have come in 11th BUT he still would have looked just as good.

You looked VERY good it just happened there were a few others who were on a little more that day.

Take care buddy.

Dude, I have a good friend who is 60 who is 6% all year round and he's got some good muscle size. Trust me, if you're in the 50 class, everyone should envy you regardless for getting up there and taking people on. Like Crowler said, who can say that they're in this good of shape into their 50's?

Way to go bro...you know where you have to improve, so just go from there...

awesome job xcle, you have to also realize, this is your first show in how long? i would bet that most of those guys are doing shows year round, so they are a lot better at dialing theirselves in.

congrats, and how did it feel to be on stage?

Take care bro,

Todd

Thanks guys

Like I said - it was a "good" experience. Most of these guys do compete "all" the time and I think that's one reason I got so many comments - like where did you come from?!?

And it's only been 16 years since my last competition :)

xcel

Congrats!!!

Xcel,

You got those comments b/c you looked awesome and they could tell you've paid the price! No qualification necessary.

Congratulations, my friend. Those comments you get from competitors, fans and even judges are worth much more than a trophy or placing, IMHO. Much more.

So it sounds like the politics were not *that* big of a role. That's good to hear.

Also sounds like you've got you work cut out:

-Come in leaner and dryer
-Keep the mass you have
-Improved weak bodyparts

I tell ya, I would think that one way to take a Master's show would be to come in with vastly superior legs. It seems that is a consistent weak spot in the master's classes. (My guess was that it was due to bad knees and inability to train as heavy.)

Again, well done.

-Randy

like everyone is saying great job. and like ya said, it's been a few yrs since ya competed so you'll do better next time, don't sweat it.

JW

p.s. a quick comment on age, i hope i look as good when i get a couple yrs older, cuz i guarantee you're in better shape then 90% of the 20 yr olds in this country.

i think you did great bro and,i envy you i bet it was a great feeling up there . your still first place to us:)

excell.
i will say this. i hope to hell when im 50 that im in half as good as shape your in. your mental attitude alone inspires me and makes me ask myself why am i not doing more everyday. thanks man for competing and being who you are to us all on this board.

Josh

I have a 50yr old friend in our gym that, IMO would clean up in masters 50+ class. Big, walks around 6% or so, full tanned, nice proportions needs a bit more quad and lats.

Anyways-you appear pleased with your acheivements. Thats what counts. You can only be your best. You have no control over your opponents and their genetics, and conditioning. Its a great victory for you, and its been fun to track your experience with you these last couple months.

Congratulations bro, and forge ahead with new goals to conquer!

RIGHT ON BRO! I have to agree with the Ballplayer. You are a great inspiration to me and others. I'm scaring the shit out of 40 (37) and some days I just have to reevaluate my mental game! You help me keep the focus I need to carry on! WALK TALL BRO-- AND BE PROUD!!

Good job!

Excel bro, You're a huge winner just for getting on stage and competing at your age. The fact that you're in the best shape of your life in your 50's is phenominal. I didn't see ya, but from what it sounds like, you're conditioning was damn good and you should be damn proud bro! Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the pics. Take care.

patk

xcel getting yourself in the best condition ever is in itself a victory Ive also enjoyed tracking your progress through your posts , so keep pushing and progressing cause thats what its all about .

Congratulations, bro! Youre a winner to all of us here and many (if not all) look up to you as youre a great inspiration with an even better attitude. Its been a lot of fun tracking your progress over the past few months and I cant wait until next time. Maybe Ill get off my ass and do something like this as it must be an awesome feeling to get on stage. Again, congrats! (Now go eat some cake)

-slide

very well done xcel , you went everything got up on stage and showed them what you had awesome !! we all went through it with you as well. A good bodybuilder like yourself wil find the reasons why and improve as you have already done. awesome stuff :)

congrads, i hate losing but u know what its the biggest insperation I can ever have. It makes me train even harder work harder and just makes me want it more.

Good job,

I remember when IVAN and I saw you, we thought you were in your mid to late 30's not 50+. You have good size and I am glad to hear that the people at the show stood up and told you that.

17" arms is hella good at 172lbs(I think is what you weighed?)

Good luck in future competitions...

I hope to see it live one day.

congrats excel! Just use this as a guide for your next one, re-evaluate and come in harder next time I am sure you will just keep improving.

Steak Helmet said:
Good job,

I remember when IVAN and I saw you, we thought you were in your mid to late 30's not 50+. You have good size and I am glad to hear that the people at the show stood up and told you that.

17" arms is hella good at 172lbs(I think is what you weighed?)

Good luck in future competitions...

I hope to see it live one day.

Those are definitely big arms at 172lbs

What is even more amazing is his wrists are only 3.5" ;)

DON'T WORRY EXCEL......

A FELLA LEARNS A LOT BY NOT WINNING AS WELL. I LEARNED THAT LESSON YOU LEARNED... A COUPLE TIMES! THAT SHIT HURTS DOESN'T IT? TO REALIZE THAT YOU WEREN'T BEATEN DUE TO BEING OUTCLASSED......JUST THAT YOU WEREN'T QUITE LEAN ENOUGH. TAKE THAT SAME BODY IN NEXT TIME...<SHREDDED>...AND WHEN THE SWEATS COME OFF, YOU'LL BE THE MAN TO BEAT. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU.....WAY TO FOLLOW THROUGH! :D

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131