advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cordyceps - PCT - Possible HCG Alternative???

petedw

Registered
For those of you that are fairly knowledgable when it comes to hormones etc, please take a look at the following attachment and let me know what you think.

Could Cordyceps be used for the same reasons that HCG is used during cycle (or to begin a PCT). Prevent leydig cell desensitization?

PDF was too big to attach here so please download from the following link:

**broken link removed**

Thanks!

No takers on this?

It looks like this is an LH-mimicker like HCG. Found this study on another forum...

Am J Chin Med. 2008;36(5):849-59
Effect of Cordyceps militaris supplementation on sperm production, sperm motility and hormones in Sprague-Dawley rats.
Chang Y, Jeng KC, Huang KF, Lee YC, Hou CW, Chen KH, Cheng FY, Liao JW, Chen YS.

Jenteh Junior College of Medicine and Nursing Management, Miaoli, Taiwan.

Cordyceps species have been traditionally used as for the enhancement of sexual function, but its direct evidence is lacking. We investigated the spermatogenic effect of Cordyceps militaris (CM) as supplementation with CM mycelium to 7-week-old male Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats. Ninety rats (30 for each group) were selected to regular diet or diet supplemented with CM mycelium (1% and 5%) for 6 weeks. Epididymal sperm were collected from 6 animals per group at each interval of observation. They were allowed to recover for one week. The quality and quantity of sperm were compared in these rats. The CM supplementation resulted in an increase of serum cordycepin concentration (n = 6, each group) that correlated with treatment time and the cordycepin level was significantly higher (p < 0.05) in 5% group as compared to 1% group at the 5th and 6th week. Epididymal sperm count was enhanced significantly from the control, at the 5th week and peaked at the 6th week in both groups supplemented with CM (each time point, n = 6; p < 0.05) and maintained for 2 weeks after stopping the treatment. Increased serum testosterone and estradiol-17 (E2) concentrations were found in rats with the CM supplementation (p < 0.05), but not other hormones such as follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) or prolactin. Importantly, percentages of motile sperm cells were also enhanced significantly (p < 0.05) paralleled the serum testosterone pattern from the supplement groups as compared to the control group. Taken together, these results indicate that supplementation with CM improves sperm quality and quantity in rats.

PMID: 19051352

I couldn't download the file.

I never heard of this stuff before.

Is there a reason to chose this stuff over HCG

Where would you even get it?

I couldn't download the file.

I never heard of this stuff before.

Is there a reason to chose this stuff over HCG

Where would you even get it?

When you click the link, you should be displayed with 2 choices. Under Free Account there is an option...Slow Download. Clicking that should start a countdown and then you should be able to download the file. If that is not the case, then I have no idea why you can't download it.

Cordyceps is an OTC oral product. I think it is actually a fungi. It seems as though it has LH-mimicking effects like HCG, which could make it useful during cycle to prevent leydig cell desensitisation. It also seems to work in synergy with HCG so could enhance recovery speed further post cycle.

It also appears to be a liver aid...

and have the ability to improve insulin sensitivity...

Another source (**broken link removed**) shows these benefits...

Cordyceps Capsule (Cordyceps sinesis)
  • The various actions ascribed to Cordyceps sinesis are lung and kidney nourishment, vital essence and energy tonification, hemostasis, and phlegm resolution.
  • It is used in general debility after sickness, and for elderly persons.
  • Its therapeutic effects have been confirmed in many controlled, well-designed studies carried out by medical schools in China including Beijing, Shanghai, and Nanjing.
  • It is virtually nontoxic.
  • The effects of this herb have been studied in chronic viral hepatitis. The efficacy rate was reportedly above 80% in a 256 patient clinical study. Cordyceps sinesis can lower ALT, improve liver function, relieve liver related symptoms, and increase albumin. It has also been used for cirrhosis caused by chronic viral hepatitis. In the previously mentioned study, 17 out of 22 patients had increased albumin levels after three months of treatment. Twelve of 17 patients with ascites experienced complete resolution while the other five had a reduction in ascites.3
  • This herb is helpful for immunodeficiency caused by viral infection, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, major illnesses, or surgery.
  • Cordyceps sinesis is used to treat impotence, premature ejaculation, low libido, low sperm counts and/or activity, irregular menstruation, and leukorrhea.
  • Observed in a rat CCl4 fibrotic model, Cordyceps sinensis treatment led to less inflammation, fatty degeneration, and liver cell damage. From clinical observations, Cordyceps sinensis appears to improve regeneration of hepatocytes and suppression of fibroblast activities.4, 5
  • This substance is the main ingredient of the Cordyceps Capsule.

3. Zheng FR. The current clinical applications of cultured Cordyceps. Chinese Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 1992;12:84.

4. Liu C. et al. Observation of treating post-hepatitis cirrhosis with extracts of Persicae Semen and Cordyceps. J of Chinese Medicine. 1991 (7):20.

5. Zhu JL. Et al. The immune regulatory effects of extracts of Persicae Semen and Cordyceps on post hepatitis cirrhosis patients. Chinese J of Integrative Chinese and Western Medicine. 1992, 12(4):207.​

So as you can see, it seems as though Cordyceps could be extremely beneficial to bodybuilders (especially those using "supplementation").

I just thought I'd post this information here because after all, the site is called professional muscle. I'm hoping the guys here that are a lot more knowledgeable than me could take a look over the information and provide feedback.

If this product can help with a faster recovery post cycle and improve health, then it would certainly make this thread worthwhile.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws