over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cost to compete at an IFBB pro

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
For you pros out there I was wondering what the cost is to compete compared to competing in the NPC.

Are the registration and entry fees that much higher??
Obviously there is probably more travel expenses as there are not as many pro shows.
A younger guy at the gym asked me why so many people turn pro then never compete anymore. I assumed that it was due to increase cost , but another old guy that's competed for decades said that he thinks it's because there are so many pros that should not be pros not willing to fail at pro shows.

I don't think those who compete really care about any fees, small potatoes considering all the other expenses. They may complain about having to pay to compete but would probably compete even if the fees were raised 10x lol. The old fella is probably right imo.

I have heard about competitors, even pros, having to pay to watch the other classes in the shows they compete at. Just heard a story the other week regarding a recent pro show. An absolute travesty lol.

Pros are more likely to land some kind of sponsorship so the fees don’t seem like a practical reason. I’m no pro but I’m guessing when you get handed a pro card and take a quick look at the level of competition you now face and what you have to do to get even close to that it’s not surprising a lot of guys disappear.

For many athletes winning their pro card is like winning a pro show or a Mister Olympia, that is their ultimate goal and they do not have the desire to compete as a pro. Also, having pro status helps their businesses within the bodybuilding industry, which is why many just want this title and don't mind putting it to use.

Competing as a pro is no more expensive unless you spend more on food and PEDs to add size, or posing coachs, etc....

Finally, since you have been registered in this forum for so long, I am curious why you ask about matters that belong more to a newbie than to a veteran guy.

For you pros out there I was wondering what the cost is to compete compared to competing in the NPC.

Are the registration and entry fees that much higher??
Obviously there is probably more travel expenses as there are not as many pro shows.
A younger guy at the gym asked me why so many people turn pro then never compete anymore. I assumed that it was due to increase cost , but another old guy that's competed for decades said that he thinks it's because there are so many pros that should not be pros not willing to fail at pro shows.

They don’t compete as pros because theyll get fucking smoked

When you PRO - you do not pay for enter the competition , you only sign a contract for the competition and you have to participate in it, if you do not come, large financial penalties await (unless you have a serious explanation, e.g. an injury, etc.)

In addition, the best pro do not even cover the cost of arrival and accommodation, etc., the competition organizer does it, because if he wants to have a show with the best bodybuilders(stars), he has to guarantee it, of course it is not a written rule, but it really is - the stars have their conditions and privileges

I believe the Olympia covers all athletes travel, etc. also.

Personally, I would never compete - and I have never competed - unless I was confident I had a good chance at winning. It doesn't make sense to me. I also probably wouldn't want to compete a second time if I hadn't made any significant improvements since the last time I competed. Perhaps these are some reasons why many pros don't compete.

Take a look at the Olympia thread. The level of competition is is staggering. Guys try for years because they love this and dont land a pro card until much later. Often times as a masters competitor. People see guys blow up like Dallas Mccarver and think they can do the same thing. This shit isnt easy for 99% of us though. Even if you are gifted, are you gifted like the guys competing on the Olympia stage?

Other guys, like a friend of mine, Nick Antico, start of wanting to be the big guy but realize what that takes, analyze their situation, and do classic or physique instead. Thats where he got his pro card.

IMO there's nothing wrong with any route to a pro card as long as you're honest with yourself. My big dream was placing top 10 in a large pro qualifying show with a plan to duck out after. I never made it that far. After 2 contest preps, I was honest with myself and realized that I legit was not having fun and was not forming any sort of friendships in that community. I was expecting more of a community than the clicks of gossipy dudes and the drama. I was set after seeing that.

I do enjoy this lifestyle though. It has paid dividends to me regardless of my fictional status as a national level competitor.

When you PRO - you do not pay for enter the competition , you only sign a contract for the competition and you have to participate in it, if you do not come, large financial penalties await (unless you have a serious explanation, e.g. an injury, etc.)

In addition, the best pro do not even cover the cost of arrival and accommodation, etc., the competition organizer does it, because if he wants to have a show with the best bodybuilders(stars), he has to guarantee it, of course it is not a written rule, but it really is - the stars have their conditions and privileges

But pros have to pay a fee each year just to maintain pros status and to get that lame paper "pro card", no? I think Lee Priest has joked about it. Lol

The story I mentioned earlier, the female pro would have had to pay to watch the rest of the show from the audience, and forget about the coach/spouse, would have to pay a nice fee just to help oiling up etc backstage. They were like fuck that, we ain't staying to watch the show. This was very recent.
Even back in the day, I remember Lee Haney said he would have had to comp his own atttendance after he retired. Other pros told stories how they had to work the doors at the O to be allowed to attend for free lol.

You would think even amateurs wouldn't have to actually pay to compete, there is no purse for winning either. They put tens of thousands into prep expenses, put their health on the line, and then are asked to pay all sorts of fees, aren't allowed to even have a helper there, and only the promoters and the fed makes money. The competitors often feel they have to eat a lot of shit to compete, the fees aren't major all things considered but it's the principle, humiliating.

the fee for the pro card for a given year is only $ 250 so a funny amount of money, and the truth is that these people would spend the same money on themselves even if there were no competitions.
I know it myself, I don't compete anymore and I'm not going to (unless it will change in a few years and I'll be competing in the masters) but I still spend the same money on myself as when I was competing, and even more because I want to continue progress

From where I am sitting, the level most who get to that level will go is either humiliating or humbling depending on your perspective.

But pros have to pay a fee each year just to maintain pros status and to get that lame paper "pro card", no? I think Lee Priest has joked about it. Lol

The story I mentioned earlier, the female pro would have had to pay to watch the rest of the show from the audience, and forget about the coach/spouse, would have to pay a nice fee just to help oiling up etc backstage. They were like fuck that, we ain't staying to watch the show. This was very recent.
Even back in the day, I remember Lee Haney said he would have had to comp his own atttendance after he retired. Other pros told stories how they had to work the doors at the O to be allowed to attend for free lol.

You would think even amateurs wouldn't have to actually pay to compete, there is no purse for winning either. They put tens of thousands into prep expenses, put their health on the line, and then are asked to pay all sorts of fees, aren't allowed to even have a helper there, and only the promoters and the fed makes money. The competitors often feel they have to eat a lot of shit to compete, the fees aren't major all things considered but it's the principle, humiliating.

I don't see pro-life costs being much different than not, with the exception of more travel costs.

If serious, they want to compete enough to win, and ultimately win enough points to get onto the Olympia stage.
Personally if I didn't think I was going to be a top rank pro I would do it until it wasn't pure fun anymore and then hang up the trunks.

I have seen a lot of people turn pro here who have no business carrying the card.
Most of them realize it and will only use it to capitalize on for business purposes.

Finally, since you have been registered in this forum for so long, I am curious why you ask about matters that belong more to a newbie than to a veteran guy.
Honestly what might seem like a basic question of his ends up turning into an interesting conversation.

wonder why guys from 10-15 years ago are still at the top unlike virtually every single other pro sport in existence :)

I would guess that most people that turn pro are happy to have achieved their goal or are just using it as a stepping stone to something else. And some realize that they really can't go that much farther.

Did you hit your head or something? Amateurs competing for free? You realize that this is a business? And no one is forcing amateurs to compete it's their choice. Not sure if you were ever involved in organizing a professional event, but the cost of doing a show, venue, lights, staff etc... can range from $20,000 to $50,000 depending on the venue. And before you question the pricing, I know first hand because I have been involved in throwing several professional events (corporate banquets, tradeshows etc). Just renting a simple banquet hall for the night for example, you are not only dealing with paying for the actual hall rental, but if you want music/lights, you are forced to go with their 'in house' service (they will claim due to insurance and because the equipment that is there is their property) and that service for one night, adds a nice $5000 to the bill. Lot's of hidden charges like that.

So as far as throwing amateur shows for free, are you willing to pay out of pocket, out of the goodness of your heart? I don't know too many people that would (except for Jake Wood, and even with his close to 300 million networth, would quickly go broke trying to pay for every NPC show :D )

Oh and lastly, preps costing tens of thousands of dollars... Not sure what these guys are buying, but if you can't prep for an amateur show on under $1000, your dealer is either ripping you off hard, or you truly are in the wrong sport. It's 12 week prep, so $300 a month should be plenty to cover supplements. Go crazy and spend $2000, but I have no clue what you need to buy for tens of thousands... (food you will be buying whether you compete or not)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity