YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Could this have increased my waist size?

MKSuccess500

Registered
I got in an accident 1-2 years ago. Since then I've avoided lifts that really load my spine, primarily squats and deadlifts. I still do full upper body workouts that work core in some way like pull ups, overhead pressing, etc but no direct core work at all and no squats or deadlifts. Lower body has strictly been isolation machines.

I usually just track my weight and waistline and make sure I'm getting stronger. Well several months ago I started a cutting phase, and also decided to try adding in hip thrusts. Yea, not the manliest exercise but I can progress on them without pain and actually have seen some noticeable benefits from them.

Well despite my strength staying up on everything while dropping 7-8lb my waistline hasn't dropped at all. Normally it would drop quite a bit with that amount of weight drop. Then when I took a break and went back up 7-8lb my waistline has been consistently 1/2in bigger than it used to be at this weight before.

Could this be from adding hip thrusts (I've added about 80+lb to my working sets) after 1-2 years of no core intensive work? I can't think of any other reason for what I'm noticing as all other factors are the same. Have you all noticed an increase there from your heavy squats and deadlifts and core work?

are you absolutely peeled in terms of conditioning?

if not, it's too soon to be thinking about your waist size.

are you absolutely peeled in terms of conditioning?

if not, it's too soon to be thinking about your waist size.

What makes you say that? I'm not contest lean, but have no interest in being contest lean. I'm very consistent with my waist measurements so I'm just trying to think of why on earth at the same given weight my waistline is up over half an inch compared to where it used to be. The hip thrusts are the only thing I can think of that changed. I'm just as strong on everything else as before so you'd think if I have the same muscle at a given weight I shouldn't have any more fat. I'm hoping it's just core muscle but I don't know.

When done correctly, hip thrusters will target glutes, hams, and flexors. The closer your heels are to your ass, the greater the target on glutes/hams.
Waist doesnt really come into play if youre keeping the weight around body weight or only slightly above for this exercise, and using correct form
Usually its diet. And being older than you were. You might not have a healthy gut flora, or enough enzymes. If youve taken any antibiotics, or changed foods or sources... track your food for a couple weeks. Be precise and accountable, and youll probably find the answer here

When done correctly, hip thrusters will target glutes, hams, and flexors. The closer your heels are to your ass, the greater the target on glutes/hams.
Waist doesnt really come into play if youre keeping the weight around body weight or only slightly above for this exercise, and using correct form
Usually its diet. And being older than you were. You might not have a healthy gut flora, or enough enzymes. If youve taken any antibiotics, or changed foods or sources... track your food for a couple weeks. Be precise and accountable, and youll probably find the answer here

I would point the finger here most likely as well. He stated he began a cutting phase....which to me usually signals a change in diet

How would low back and core not be strongly involved in a hip thrust?

and yes I'm technically "older" but only by months lol. Back 6 months ago I was 212 or so with a 33in waistline. Cut down to 205 and waistline barely budged (normally it would drop 0.5-1in with this weight drop). Now I'm back to 212 just about 6 months later and I'm at 33.5-33.75in waistline. Strength is the same as before and workouts are exactly the same aside from hip thrusts.

Minor changes in diet but more or less the same. When you say you think diet changes increased my waist do you mean due to being more bloated or do you mean it somehow resulted in this much more fat at the same weight?

How would low back and core not be strongly involved in a hip thrust?

and yes I'm technically "older" but only by months lol. Back 6 months ago I was 212 or so with a 33in waistline. Cut down to 205 and waistline barely budged (normally it would drop 0.5-1in with this weight drop). Now I'm back to 212 just about 6 months later and I'm at 33.5-33.75in waistline. Strength is the same as before and workouts are exactly the same aside from hip thrusts.

Minor changes in diet but more or less the same. When you say you think diet changes increased my waist do you mean due to being more bloated or do you mean it somehow resulted in this much more fat at the same weight?

bloating due to food sensitivities and or water retention

I weigh about 210 lbs and can fluctuate weight 7-8 lbs over the course of a day or two.

You're being a bit paranoid I think.

I weigh about 210 lbs and can fluctuate weight 7-8 lbs over the course of a day or two.

You're being a bit paranoid I think.

How is that relevant to what I'm saying? My point is my morning weights have gone down from dieting and now intentionally I've gone back up in weight but waistline is higher. I take waistline and weight all the time and my measurements are very consistent. For months on end they were at 33in at 212. Now it's up to 33.5-33.75 at 212 for weeks on end, consistently measuring the same. When every other factor is the same. Doesn't seem to make sense to me

bloating due to food sensitivities and or water retention

The food I eat is the same, just less of it. So what would the water retention be from? Do you retain more water when dieting? I certainly haven't heard that and have only really heard of the "bulking bloat". Most people seem to shed a lot of water once dieting.

The food I eat is the same, just less of it. So what would the water retention be from? Do you retain more water when dieting? I certainly haven't heard that and have only really heard of the "bulking bloat". Most people seem to shed a lot of water once dieting.

It was only an assumption based on my personal experience. My diet changes quite a bit when contest prepping. More fish, less rice and more sweet potatoes....and since I don’t eat as much of this off-season.....I get some gastric dostress the first few weeks until acclimated

How is that relevant to what I'm saying? My point is my morning weights have gone down from dieting and now intentionally I've gone back up in weight but waistline is higher. I take waistline and weight all the time and my measurements are very consistent. For months on end they were at 33in at 212. Now it's up to 33.5-33.75 at 212 for weeks on end, consistently measuring the same. When every other factor is the same. Doesn't seem to make sense to me

You ever take any caliper measurements?

I know when dieting or bulking...I usually keep track of two skinfolds. Front and side of my waist.

At least it may let you distinguish between actual muscle growth..... or if it's Sub-Q thickness.

Also you taking anything known to bloat people...MK, GH...etc?

You ever take any caliper measurements?

I know when dieting or bulking...I usually keep track of two skinfolds. Front and side of my waist.

At least it may let you distinguish between actual muscle growth..... or if it's Sub-Q thickness.

Also you taking anything known to bloat people...MK, GH...etc?

Ya know I'm frustrated with myself. I generally do take caliper measurements but for some reason I did not take before calipers this time. I did when I was 230 and I did last year when I was 212 but for some reason I did not back a few months ago at 212. That right there would have solved all my questioning because the skinfolds would have let me distinguish where the waistline increase came from.

I only take Testosterone Cypionate and Anastrazole. My estradiol is quite low.

Even more confusingly, I was NOT taking the anastrazole back when I was 212 months ago (with the lower waistline) so my estradiol was closer to 50 whereas now it is closer to 15. So if anything you'd think I should be LESS bloated now :confused:

Stretch your hip flexors. Heavy thrusters can tighten them up and when they are stuck short it gives the appearance of a distended stomach and wider waist... You will also tape higher.

Try taping your waist, then take 20 min and do a bunch of world greatest stretch variations etc, and then tape again. Even with just that you will measure lower.

Or just hike your pants up to your nipples like Kylo Ren.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity