Covid-19 Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladryn

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So... I'm on my 3rd day with the virus, it's not as mild as I thought it would be, it's definitely primarily in my lungs but there isn't anything to cough up. Cough is really ragged, upper respiratory system is clogged up a bit. Using OTC meds to keep clear which seems to be working. Avoiding ibuprofen since it can lessen immune response (this is recommended). I'm still getting worse, not better, but I don't have a fever yet. As soon as I get a fever or if breathing gets difficult I'll contact the hospital. It's a little scary having your lungs this infected even though I'm still breathing fine.

BTW, the temperature checks are total BS, here is a great study posted in the New England Journal of Medicine, you can see under 50% of patients who felt sick enough to be admitted to the hospital didn't have a fever upon admission (although most of them developed one later, some didn't).

My wife, who is 15 years younger, doesn't seem to have any symptoms yet.

I haven't been tested yet but I'm in Washington state right around the area it's been circulating and the symptoms fit perfectly, I've spoken to my primary care doctor online, pretty sure I picked it up at the gym but it could have been Costco too, not that it matters. It doesn't feel like any other sickness I've had, it's all in the lungs but without mucus.

So... I'm on my 3rd day with the virus, it's not as mild as I thought it would be, it's definitely primarily in my lungs but there isn't anything to cough up. Cough is really ragged, upper respiratory system is clogged up a bit. Using OTC meds to keep clear which seems to be working. Avoiding ibuprofen since it can lessen immune response (this is recommended). I'm still getting worse, not better, but I don't have a fever yet. As soon as I get a fever or if breathing gets difficult I'll contact the hospital. It's a little scary having your lungs this infected even though I'm still breathing fine.

BTW, the temperature checks are total BS, here is a great study posted in the New England Journal of Medicine, you can see under 50% of patients who felt sick enough to be admitted to the hospital didn't have a fever upon admission (although most of them developed one later, some didn't).

My wife, who is 15 years younger, doesn't seem to have any symptoms yet.

I haven't been tested yet but I'm in Washington state right around the area it's been circulating and the symptoms fit perfectly, I've spoken to my primary care doctor online, pretty sure I picked it up at the gym but it could have been Costco too, not that it matters. It doesn't feel like any other sickness I've had, it's all in the lungs but without mucus.
I can second that. I've had it for a couple days and the symptoms really are nothing like having a cold or the flu. The other thing is that the symptoms are highly non-specific. Some people get a cough, some don't, some get a fever, some don't, etc.

According to a report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019, novel coronavirus symptoms are "non-specific" and can range from absolutely no signs to severe pneumonia and death. Apart from the most common symptoms, the report, released after extensive research of confirmed cases, does include nausea or vomiting in its list. Hence, nausea could be a symptom of novel coronavirus but as per the percentage mentioned in the report, it is less common.
"As of February 20, 2020 and based on 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases, typical signs and symptoms include: fever (87.9%), dry cough (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), myalgia or arthralgia (14.8%), chills (11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5.0%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhoea (3.7%), and hemoptysis (0.9%), and conjunctival congestion (0.8%)," the report said.

Take care yourselves fellas.
Stay in isolation and treat the symptoms with whats available.
Stay hydrated. Paracetamol and acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) is what we know to be
first line of defense.
Keep us posted.

How can you be sure if you have had no specific test?

That fever rate was what patients developed after they were admitted to hospitals, but at the time of admission it was closer to 40%, makes you wonder about all the temperature screening.

How can you be sure if you have had no specific test?

I can't be sure, but I'm right at the epicenter of the outbreak, I never get sick, all symptoms fit perfectly, doctor agrees it is very likely, I'm 98% certain.

If you want to get philosophical, we can only be certain of one thing.

How nervous are you about having it?

Stay safe Kaladryn.
Hopefully your back to feeling good again soon. Keep us updated

keep us update if you can man. I'm sure you'll be fine but I do have to say its nice to hear from somebody as intelligent as you are about the experience.

so you think you have the virus cause you’re in a state with positive cases. Get tested.. this post is bullshit

stay safe n get better
why does it matter right now to him right now if he 100% has it or not? They're treating symptoms, they don't have a pill he can take to get better. Symptoms sound like he does and he's treating himself, no need for a hospital. Post is not bullshit man. Whats bullshit is your post.

Local government here is freaking out because it’s exploded the last 48hr , New Orleans is now second is cases per capita behind Seattle which had cases weeks before us.
I don’t know anyone personally but several second hand people (3) say the same thing as Kaladryn says , some symptoms are different intensity and manifest different in each of the three people all three of which are confirmed COVID-19 positive according to CDC (they are nurses)

I am pretty certain I have it. I have all the symptoms apart from the fever (I have one in the night but it goes) so that's why I originally figured I just had a bad cold. Although this feels different and my breathing is heavily effected. Maybe I still don't have it but I am fairly certain especially considering where I have recently travelled to. I just read the post about Kal's post being bullshit but even if he doesn't have it he has something with very similar symptoms. For most who are strong Covid-19 won't be that bad and for many could even feel like a mild cold. Regardless it's actually not my 1st concern because today I woke up with a bad trapped nerve in my back so I am in agony and can barely move around. All in all today hasn't been the best :eek: I have been self isolating but there isn't really anything I can do anyway because nearly everywhere is closed over here.

so you think you have the virus cause you’re in a state with positive cases. Get tested.. this post is bullshit

stay safe n get better
You realize that the vast majority diagnoses of infectious diseases are made based on symptoms rather than lab tests? So frankly, I'd rather listen to his doctor than to some nurse with an attitude. As for the testing, it's simply not an option in most places. In my country, only patients in serious condition get tested upon arrival at the hospital. Otherwise, only health care workers get tested preemptively. There's not enough testing kits to test everyone with corona symptoms.

stay safe n get better

Then please shut the hell up and stay off this thread. Thank you.

Hope you feel better Kala & Jeff. To me, Kala is the perfect person to give perspective.
Wash is in the thick of it right now. And most of us are pretttty in tune with our bodies. If you are coughing and feel like shit AND you live in a highly contagious region, chances are you have it. But damn, you reallllly have to self-isolate now huh?

The MAJOR problem here is that the US is just sooo damn behind on the testing kits. Like reallly really behind compared to the other major countries. This is going to really hurt us in the coming months.

We'll see what demographics are hit the hardest too. South Korea and Italy have major problems right now. For every million people in the population, South Korea has tests for around 3k of them. While Italy has tests for every 800 of them. South Korea death rate is 0.06% and Italy's is 6%. Huge differences there.

thanks for the info, post is not BS, take of yourself and wife!

People are looking at numbers and going thinking this is blown out of proportion.

There are barely any testing being done in hospitals in the US, major shortage of tests. They’re turning people away with flu like symptoms in the ER due to volume right now. I have no doubt that there’s a chance many on this forum might already have it or have come in contact with it.

Theres a metric ton of people walking around with covid 19 that are either asymptomatic or with milder symptoms. More than seriousness of the virus, hospital overload is going to be a huge issue in the coming weeks.

Guy who tested positive for covid 19 in NY rode the subway for a while. It’s going to be an interesting few weeks coming up.

You realize that the vast majority diagnoses of infectious diseases are made based on symptoms rather than lab tests? So frankly, I'd rather listen to his doctor than to some nurse with an attitude. As for the testing, it's simply not an option in most places. In my country, only patients in serious condition get tested upon arrival at the hospital. Otherwise, only health care workers get tested preemptively. There's not enough testing kits to test everyone with corona symptoms.

It's exactly the same in my country. Plus I would rather just self isolate and be able to go on the comp etc and do my own thing whilst I start feeling better. It makes no real difference what virus I have I just know I won't be risking passing it on to any old people so I will do what I need to do. I don't get some people's opinions on this at times. Acting like it's a complete farse and just because if they will be fine then we should all just walk around passing it on to eachother. Stating old people are going to die anyway so why should we care and let nature run it's course. Maybe if their parents or grandparents contacted the virus they would have a different view. Maybe they have no parents etc and that's why they have such views. I couldn't care less about me having it and I went on holiday to a hot spot for the virus and maybe I caught it there but there is no chance I would be going anywhere near my parents if I felt I had it. Although I do think 1000's have this in most countries and are walking around without a care in the world so numbers will start doubling all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear