advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Crazy question but Trying to be smaller!

For me its health. I think being heavy is hard on your health whether your fat or muscle.

Stop lifting and start long distance running if you want to lose muscle. If you want to lose fat do a psmf. Have done it lots of times and have went as low as 800 calories a day of egg whites. I dropped 4 to 5 lbs a week on it.

Am I the only one here that is actually trying to get smaller? I chat with Dave Paulmbo from time to time and he told me it took him 10 years to lose 80lbs of muscle. I want to lose 30 lbs of muscle and fat. I just picked up some GW to start.
Sounds crazy right?
I am 50 as well so that plays a part.

I doubt Dave was in a hurry if it took him 10 years to drop 80lbs of muscle, just look at Matt Porter when he had his issues. MP is probably still 30lbs lighter. Shelby has downsized a little and puts out interesting info on his even more health oriented approach. He still looks fantastic, you can just follow him on FB.

Gw is good for endurance, as for losing weight, the only way it will help is making cardio easier for longer.

I don't see a mention of your current usage, I'm going to assume TRT? If not, just dropping the dose will drop some water and glycogen weight.

We will just have to wait for LittleSlice for the obvious option....

Also, daily cardio and a big drop in calories should solve most of your issues.

Agreed and all in the plan.

I doubt Dave was in a hurry if it took him 10 years to drop 80lbs of muscle, just look at Matt Porter when he had his issues. MP is probably still 30lbs lighter. Shelby has downsized a little and puts out interesting info on his even more health oriented approach. He still looks fantastic, you can just follow him on FB.

Gw is good for endurance, as for losing weight, the only way it will help is making cardio easier for longer.

I don't see a mention of your current usage, I'm going to assume TRT? If not, just dropping the dose will drop some water and glycogen weight.

We will just have to wait for LittleSlice for the obvious option....

Also, daily cardio and a big drop in calories should solve most of your issues.

The GW is to get my endurance up. Also the GW has some pretty good studies on Lipids. I did drop the TRT , cardiologist suggested it. I actually take HCG cycles for some reason he was fine with.

It's going to be as muscle sparing as I can get it to be. Dave is going to help me figure out a safe way. At 220+ lbs if I can do this right in 6-8 months be a lean 190-195.

Here is a video if you are interested.

This is the same kind but not me. Prior to surgery I was told to stop working out because my chest was too big. He was afraid the tools would not reach.

I had mine done at Mayo.

Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair Surgery - YouTube

Oh nice you're lucky it was the mitral valve since it's repairable using your own tissue without needing a valve replacement. Probably the one heart procedure you want if you HAD to have one

True

Another other would have been a artificial valve.

Just me personally... Id rather first go the route of getting as lean as possible while maintaining as much muscle as possible .. At 50 you will want to retain as much muscle as possible .. Most have more bodyfat to lose than they realize..

You can't lose 10 lbs of LBM that fast.

Well it must of been all Fat and Water then I Guess?
That would be Great But I Doubt it.
16 pds in 10 days, must of lost some LBM's !

So I am curious about this in general about downsizing: If your 5'9-5'10 and around 220lbs and your BP and RHR are within normal range and bloods are too, what is the problem? How exactly will this stress one's heart as you get older?

I am just asking in general out of curiosity as this has been discussed many times here. If all health tests are good how is the extra weight a problem when one gets older? Shouldn't the tests start coming out beyond normal range?

So I am curious about this in general about downsizing: If your 5'9-5'10 and around 220lbs and your BP and RHR are within normal range and bloods are too, what is the problem? How exactly will this stress one's heart as you get older?

I am just asking in general out of curiosity as this has been discussed many times here. If all health tests are good how is the extra weight a problem when one gets older? Shouldn't the tests start coming out beyond normal range?

Multiple things size can do.
My BP is usually under 120/80 and my resting HR is in the low 70's.

No matter how good a shape you think you are in or how low your bodyfat is and how much muscle you have the heart within reason is a standard size. It is mostly proportioned to the person it is in. Your heart has to pump blood to every part of the body and when it can’t bad things can happen. The heart has an ejection fraction or the squeeze of the heart. It’s how hard the heart can contract to pump the blood around the body. Normal is %55 to 70% when you start going below say 40%-50% ejection fraction and your left ventricle or right is thickened your cardiologist will probably say something to you. There are other levels that indicate heart disease or heart failure.
When you get in the 25% range you probably need a heart transplant.

One thing I learned through this is the bigger you are the harder the heart has to work to pump that blood a lot more places and work harder. Add to if the left or right ventricle has enlarged that means the squeeze will not be as great so not as much blood gets through where it needs to be. Think of it as a soggy balloon.

Steroids do not cause this heart diseases it just helps. Our size and the way we lift causes this damage. When I asked the surgeon did my years of steroid us cause my heart problem he said probably not. It did not help though. What he actually did say was my years of heavy lifting and my size contributed more. My EF was 50% and my left ventricle had started to enlarge. All athletes have enlarged left ventricles.

When we lift rep range weights I think most of us breath in and out. When we lift heavy we old our breath. I was a real heavy lifter and held my breath for years which this actually forces the heart to expand and blood goes backwards into the left ventricle. BAD! By holding your breath, you can also rupture a cord in you heart which is what I did. Your heart is full of chords that holds the valves in place and when one pops your valves can start leaking.

I did not come on here to scare anyone but that’s really why I want to lose size. I know we all want to be as big as muscular when we are young, I did. But when you start aging it’s probably better to trim back down so your heart will last a little longer.

Most big heavy BB’ers like Dallas MaCarver, Rich Piana, Justin god rest his soul had enlarged hearts as well. Most BB’er have enlarged hearts and most of us die from heart failure if we live long enough.
That’s why I am getting smaller primarily for health reasons.

Multiple things size can do.
My BP is usually under 120/80 and my resting HR is in the low 70's.

No matter how good a shape you think you are in or how low your bodyfat is and how much muscle you have the heart within reason is a standard size. It is mostly proportioned to the person it is in. Your heart has to pump blood to every part of the body and when it can’t bad things can happen. The heart has an ejection fraction or the squeeze of the heart. It’s how hard the heart can contract to pump the blood around the body. Normal is %55 to 70% when you start going below say 40%-50% ejection fraction and your left ventricle or right is thickened your cardiologist will probably say something to you. There are other levels that indicate heart disease or heart failure.
When you get in the 25% range you probably need a heart transplant.

One thing I learned through this is the bigger you are the harder the heart has to work to pump that blood a lot more places and work harder. Add to if the left or right ventricle has enlarged that means the squeeze will not be as great so not as much blood gets through where it needs to be. Think of it as a soggy balloon.

Steroids do not cause this heart diseases it just helps. Our size and the way we lift causes this damage. When I asked the surgeon did my years of steroid us cause my heart problem he said probably not. It did not help though. What he actually did say was my years of heavy lifting and my size contributed more. My EF was 50% and my left ventricle had started to enlarge. All athletes have enlarged left ventricles.

When we lift rep range weights I think most of us breath in and out. When we lift heavy we old our breath. I was a real heavy lifter and held my breath for years which this actually forces the heart to expand and blood goes backwards into the left ventricle. BAD! By holding your breath, you can also rupture a cord in you heart which is what I did. Your heart is full of chords that holds the valves in place and when one pops your valves can start leaking.

I did not come on here to scare anyone but that’s really why I want to lose size. I know we all want to be as big as muscular when we are young, I did. But when you start aging it’s probably better to trim back down so your heart will last a little longer.

Most big heavy BB’ers like Dallas MaCarver, Rich Piana, Justin god rest his soul had enlarged hearts as well. Most BB’er have enlarged hearts and most of us die from heart failure if we live long enough.
That’s why I am getting smaller primarily for health reasons.

Thanks for the lengthy reply!

My thoughts exactly. Dante has agreed too for what it's worth.

Low bofyfat, optimal BP and RHR and I wouldn't be too paranoid. There has to be a mechanism as to what kills a person. "a lot of muscle" isn't a diagnosis.

It's also been proven that muscle helps people survive longer after a heart attack than a non muscular or obese person, for what that's worth.

Just me personally... Id rather first go the route of getting as lean as possible while maintaining as much muscle as possible .. At 50 you will want to retain as much muscle as possible .. Most have more bodyfat to lose than they realize..

Exactly. The OP stated he is 22% bodyfat which I expected from the opening post as it's usually the case. To the OP you just need to diet and lose bodyfat and maintain as much muscle as Lat's stated. Why on earth would you need to lose loads of muscle at 22% bodyfat? I can understand a legit bodybuilder who is 270 pounds at 10% and has a major health scare and basically decides to lose weight fast then lot's of muscle would need to be lost. If you have had heart issues and at your age it's the sensible thing to do. But do it in a healthy way which means a complete overhaul in regards to the food you put into your body.

My thoughts exactly. Dante has agreed too for what it's worth.

Low bofyfat, optimal BP and RHR and I wouldn't be too paranoid. There has to be a mechanism as to what kills a person. "a lot of muscle" isn't a diagnosis.

It's also been proven that muscle helps people survive longer after a heart attack than a non muscular or obese person, for what that's worth.

Very true. If blood work is good then it's only a good thing. Even if someone carries a good amount of muscle. However, I am a firm believer (it's obvious) that overall weight is a massive factor. No one aged 50 is doing themselves a favour in regards to longetivity if they weigh a lot... let's say 250 at 5ft 9 for example. It doesn't matter how good your blood work is it's simply not good. Small people tend (not always) to live longer than big people. Look what has happened to all the pro bodybuilders in the past who couldn't downsize as they got old... they are all pretty much dead. The ones that downsized but remained fit are doing generally great. The ones that downsized and even stopped training are generally doing fine too.

So any bodybuilder who is 50 still chasing mass even if they don't abuse steroids is not doing themselves a favour. I will hate it just as much as everyone else on here but in the future I will 100% be downsizing but still wanting to be ripped with muscle but workouts will be more fitness based. I don't care about living till 80 but I don't want to die very young and chasing size and wanting to be big in your 50's is not smart.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear